“This was the best Hotel in Iceland”

CenterHotel Thingholt
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Edmonton, Canada
“This was the best Hotel in Iceland”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This was fabulous, it was luxury, it was clean, it was beautiful and fabulous for the price. Located right downtown, walking distance from everything. It was the perfect end to the trip after staying at some fabulous babins but really mediocre hotels it was truely a highlight. The breakfast was a real treat, they served some North American food like eggs, sausage and bacon as well as a very good fruit selection. I loved the bed and pillows, one of the few places that had good pillows. Bring ear plugs if you are sound sensative though, Reykjavic doesn't sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed here for my dad on a trip to Iceland and this hotel was fantastic. Great location downtown; next to the main shopping street, within walking distance to the harbor and to the Iceland Excursions office. If you book tours with them, don't bother with pickup and just walk down to the office to get the tour. Other reviews mentioned noise on Fri/Sat night from the partiers, I did hear them those days but it wasn't really that loud and not enough to keep me awake--and I did not have a room at the "quiet, back" part of the hotel.

Breakfast is included here, and not just a continental one. Bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, fruits, juices, and rolls/croissants. Also free, sorta, is the internet. There's one free mac for guests to use in the lobby and since the hotel is small, it's usually available. Only on one night did I have trouble using it.

The room itself is very nice. It's not large, but not small either. Nice large flat screen tv with two nice chairs and two beds. Lots of closet space and a large modern bathroom. Modern as in glass shower wall, chrome big button on the wall to flush the toilet which is attached to the wall and not the sink, a raised porcelain sink with a drain that you just push like a button, the sink spout is like a stream running down a metal slide rather than a normal faucet, and chrome soap dispensers.

The desk staff was also very friendly. I don't think I've ever been more pleased with a hotel than this one and I've traveled a lot.

Side note-- I mentioned Iceland Excursions. They were ok, but we ended up spending a ton of time on the bus. My advice would be to rent a car your third day in Reykjavik. The tours to Golden Circle, Snaesfellnes, and the South Coast/Jokulsarlon (the main ones) were ENTIRELY on paved roads in good condition, and none of the sites we stopped at had admission costs except for the Jokulsarlon cruise. We did all bus tours because I don't like driving in foreign places, but in Iceland I think it's necessary.

• Stayed July 2010
rhode island
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Stayed for two nights at this hotel and generally enjoyed everything about it. Made our reservation online, got an email confirmation, but when we arrived, staff couldn't find our reservation. They were very nice and gave us a free extra breakfast for the problem. Everything was great about this hotel. But, we took heed of prior reviews and asked for a top floor back room. We could only get a top (4th floor) room in the front. The street noise (loud music and drumming, people laughing and talking) was REALLY pretty bad and went on til 6 am. We are not light sleepers, so it was tolerable. But, if you are staying Fri. or Sat. night, beware.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Positives:
Great hotel, tucked down a little side street right in the centre of town. Looks a little austere from the outside, but lovely, albeit dark once inside. Hotel has been recently renovated/opened and this shows. Everything is mostly new and expensive. Rooms are fitted/decorated in the "industrial" style, with grey concrete-esque wall finishes, exposed steelwork etc. Works well and makes this hotel relatively unique I would imagine. Freestanding bath in the centre of the room, shower/bathroom in cool frosted glass box at one end. Bed really comfy, TV etc ok. View not great, but who cares when you're in the centre of Reykjavik.
Negatives:
Is expensive, but so is Iceland. Main problem is the noise - not just "centre of town" noise, but more like "there's a nightclub downstairs" noise. Not all the time - Sat/Sun mornings, 02:30 to 05:00..... just when you don't want it. Problem is, the hotel is SO warm, that you have to open the windows, which exacerbates the issue. Not enough to ruin our stay, but a serious enough problem to mention (we heard at least 2 couples asking to change rooms to the rear of the hotel for the same reason). Oh, the other thing is the hotel is boiling hot all the time - the breakfast is served in a smart, funky (concrete!) box of a room which appears to have no ventilation which ruins the experience a bit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

As per the other reviews this hotel really is in a great location right in the center of Reykjavik (which ok is not very big but still!). Down a side street you could walk by and not notice it, but once through the doors you can tell this is a nicely renovated chic hotel.

Our room was lovely, albeit very small (think New York size). The bathroom door does not give much privacy (frosted glass) so probably not a great choice room if you are sharing with a new girlfriend/ or boyfriend! Flat screen tv on the wall had a decent choice of mostly British, English language channels (CNN, BBC news, Channel 4, BBC etc).

Not much else to say, breakfasts were "okay", standard lot really (eggs, cereal, yogurt, bread, croissants etc). Nothing to complain about that's for sure

Didn't have problems with night noise but weren't there over the weekend. I think that's the only time things liven up in Reykjavik anyway, generally in the evenings it was pretty quiet, at least where we were there

Tiny room aside this is a great, modern, well designed and fresh looking hotel, would recommend wholeheartedly

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Just returned from a weeks vacation in Iceland. This hotel is in THE perfect location in Reykjavik. Shopping, restaurants etc all just steps away from this hotel. Apon arrival we checked into our room and I thought "oh no, this room is so small" I was there with my father who is 77 and there was nothing but the bed in the room to sit at. The bed also is not what "we" Americans are used to as they are just two twin beds together. I went back down to the front desk and asked if there was a mistake as I had said it was supposed to be a double room and it was myself and my father sharing a room. The clerk at the desk admitted it was one of there smaller rooms but it was also standard. He looked at his booksing and offed another room to me if I wanted it. I went and looked at it and this room was much bigger with a small couch etc. However it still only has two twin beds that are snugged right up next to each other, a bit odd. We were happy to take this larger room at no additional cost. One should note though that if you are sharing your room with someone that you would want more privacy with this may not be the hotel for you. The decor is very nice, modern but the walls that make up the bathroom are simply frosted glass leaving not much to the imagination. We made it work but I could see where some people may feel a bit uncomfortable. They have a daily buffet type breakfast that was good, not great, but pretty good. Your standard scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast, cold cereals, some fruit, and also sandwhich type meats and cheeses, along with a varatiy of juices and coffee. Having that breakfast availalble was nice as many of our tours started at 8am and you would not want to waste time having to go out so early in the morning to get breakfast elsewhere. Again all the staff there were extremly nice. On the day we were leaving we inquired about a late check out as there standard check out time is noon but we were not scheduled to go to the airport until 1:30. When I asked if we could stay in the room until then it was not a problem at all. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Iceland. Enjoyed it and our travels there very much!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
england
Reviewed April 23, 2010

chose this hotel after reading trip adviser reviews and cannot praise it enough. perfect location, very central in the town and all the tours will come pick you up from hotel. 30 second walk from tourist information. Lovely restaurants nearby.
Hotel stafff were very friendly and there 24hours. Willing to help.
Lovely tranquil lobby, very peaceful and relaxing.
Rooms were just what you need, great power shower. TV-had all sky channels. bed very comfortable. Bad points in our room - safe didn't work, fridge made a noise (so unplugged it!), draft from window, can get noisy in street next to it at night and builders next door woke us up at 8am.and tea was not replaced daily by house keeping so we had to ask for it every day.
The breakfast was all you needed, juice, coffees, toast, cooked items, 3 cereal selections, croissants, fruit, ham ,cheese and cucumber!they give you croissant and juice if you have a departure early in the morning.
Parking free after 6pm on the street of the hotel.
would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends