“Walkability is awesome, trendy, good breakfast, great beds”

CenterHotel Thingholt
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here one night (Saturday) and were very happy with the location to downtown and the shopping. The downside was the vicinity to a bar that was open until 5AM; we'd flown in from the West Coast of the US and hence our sleep pattern was already odd. If you're looking for a sound sleep, ask for a room that won't have a window on the street.

I would stay here again due to its vicinity to everything. The bathroom was really cool in that it was mostly concrete. I was fascinated with how well concrete works in a bathroom. There was a mirror at head level in the shower, which I found nice to see how I washed my hair. The shower had a glass panel that covered 3/4 of the shower, but the last quarter was open. So if you are a sloppy shower, the floor outside the shower will get wet; but that's where the concrete makes it ok. The toiletries provided were in bottles, but I don't remember them being amazing as I'd brought my own and wasn't paying much attention to them so can't comment on them. The bathroom was on the other side of the closet, which had a glass wall that was translucent so you could make out shapes. This would be fine for couples or if you're alone, but I was traveling with a male friend so it just meant you didn't look in that direction when someone was in the bathroom.

The room itself was small, but no smaller than a typical European sized room in a major city.

The breakfast was good and included in our booking. WiFi was free and actually the same for all the CenterHotels in the city so if you came within any of their hotels, you got WiFi again which was convenient.

Side note: we had a rental car and stayed here on a Saturday night. The parking is free after some time in the afternoon and free all day Sunday, so street parking was not a problem for us. I'm not sure what the week would be like if you had a rental.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GreenStarfish
Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were a family of four and spent 3 nights in two junior suites. The rooms were large with a small living area, sofa, desk and table. Each suite was different but had the same color scheme of black and white. The bathrooms were similar with a large tub and small sink however I would not recommend these rooms for older people with issues climbing into and out of high ledges. The tub was higher and even though we showered rather than soak in the tub it was still work to get in and out of it, especially for me being 5'3". Breakfast was good, not exceptional but good bread, hot foods included also. The decor of the whole place was very well done, modern funky and a treat from the outside. There is not parking garage however we had no problems finding parking on the street each time we returned. It is metered starting at 10 in the morning but free after six in the evening. The front staff were exceptional even helping my son one night sort out his sim card by calling the company for him. There were many restaurants to try nearby and we went to two the front desk recommended and were happy with both. The only issue would have been the fact of the curtains it was impossible to get them to close completely together. If I ever get back there would stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: If you like large rooms book a junior suite however only if you are agile.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 4vrongo
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hotel is located in a great central location. Recommend getting a room on a higher floor in the back, weekends can be loud. If your windows are closed you will be fine. Rooms are clean and modern.
Bar is good but pricey. But all liquor in Iceland is, pick some up at the duty free store before leaving the US it will save you a lot.
Great recommendations for dinner and where to park. Staff is there to help in any way they can.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

the hotel lobby, bar and breakfast are one level under ground - very new fashionned but a little dark. room on top floor, modern style and newly renovated. good tv wifi and bathroom although space is very tiny - we had to storage our suitcases each above each to move in room. the airconditionner is on permanently and disturbs at sleeping as the bass beat of a disco nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Location, location, location. Thingholt is within walking distance of restaurants, shopping & the bus terminal. The staff were very friendly & helped us book day tours & bus pick ups. The rooms were very clean & comfortable. Overall a great place & I will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KMurphey
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We loved how central it was, but if you stay on a Saturday night, bring ear plugs. It's very loud. The rooms are nice, but are right on the street, so if noise bothers you - this may be an issue. There is also no parking, so you have to park on the street, which is paid parking. The staff was nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed in CenterHotel Thingholt for our honeymoon in September 2010. Even though we have mentioned it in our reservation form, they did nothing to make us feel they care. I was bit disappointed with this kind of approach, particularly it was a small hotel. One greeting card or just wishing us good stay for this occasion would be enough for me.
Despite this, hotel was very comfortable and clean with contemporary design. Location could not be better. I did not like the view though. It was the inner part of the building.
The staff on the reception was kind advising us where to eat. Suggestions was quite good.
I would recommend it.