CenterHotel Thingholt
  • Room Service
Reykjavik4you Apartments Hotel(Reykjavik)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,991 results
All reviewsloft suitefrosted glassthe main streetboutique hotelcentral locationfriday and saturdaycenter hotelsteam roombreakfast was includedstandard roomlight sleeperhappy hourmini barearly checkstreet noiseloved this hotelthe heart of the city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Reykjavik is not a city for affordable hotels, but since my partner and I were traveling during the low season (early March 2008), we decided to shop up-market from our usual price point of $100 per night.

Copious amounts of research led us to the Thingholt, whose website was offering 40% off the standard rate. Attempting to book through the CenterHotels site led to a nightly rate of ISK 10 000 (about $150) -- still too much for our budget. But, by booking through Orbitz, we were able to obtain a rate of ISK 7800 ($120). Lesson learned: always try booking through multiple sources.

Upon arriving, I was bowled over by the elegance and design that have gone into this newly-constructed boutique hotel! The lobby is a dream in black stone and leather, with a dead-sexy waterfall wall at the entrance, sculpture all over, and a comfy (if a bit severe) lounge equipped with art books and other accoutrements of the terminally chic. The lounge adjoins an up-market Japanese retaurant, Domo, which seems to be operated by the same organization.

Our standard double room continued the parade of chic with a floor of leather tile, frosted glass-walled bathroom enclosure, and designer furniture and lighting. Virtually every object in the room was matte black, chrome or stark white. Everything was spotlessly clean, the linens were fresh and comfortable, and our room was cleaned and tidied daily. Reading through the literature I learned that every room has been designed by a different local woman artist, and no two rooms are furnished alike.

Additional in-room comforts include a heated bathroom floor. mini bar with enough extra space for a few of your own groceries, widescreen flat-panel television, free wired Internet access, and lighting with full dimmer control to set that extra-special romantic mood.

The buffet breakfast, included in room price and served from 7-10, is a cut above the standard Scandinavian affair with breads, pastries, meats, cheeses, cereals, fruit, boiled eggs, juices, milk, coffee and tea.

Downsides: the rooms are European-sized and the wardrobes are on the small side, so leave your steamer trunk at home. The shower is tiny, though clean and functional. The rack rate is positively astronomical by the standards of the budget traveler, and the hotel's design aesthetic may feel sterile to some.

In conclusion: the Thingholt is an ultra-modern, chic boutique hotel and I would be overjoyed to stay there again. If you can finagle a deal such as we did, then it is also an outstanding value (especially for Reykjavik). However, the quality of this hotel is top-notch at any price.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Xeger
Reviewed March 5, 2008

My husband and I went to Iceland and had no expectations really as we had never been before. What a lovely surprise! The place is absolutely fantastic and I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone – regardless of age or interests. Be warned though, it is very, very expensive.

The food was amazing (try the lobster soup at Lebrekker or the lamb anywhere – mouthwateringly good), the people were lovely, everywhere was well appointed and cared for. We just had such a good time. The Thingholt was a great choice as you couldn’t be more central. Their rooms can be small but very nice all the same. We were concerned as someone had reported that the rooms on the front of the hotel are noisy at night but (and maybe this is because we come from London) but it really wasn’t a problem at all… unless the window was open.

The sights were great – very unusual. Definitely allow 1h30m for the lagoon though – it’s lovely. One word of warning though. Don’t hire a small car and expect to do sightseeing in the winter months because the roads are treacherous, icy and slippery… very scary if you don’t have snow chains. A 4-wheel drive would be OK but we had a Yaris and it was awful.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Whilst the exterior of this Hotel may stir fears as to its interior these are soon lost as you decend in to a world of cow hides; frosted glass and leather recliners.

We have just returned from a weeks' holiday in Iceland and used Centerhotel Thingholt. We found this Hotel outstanding. The location is spot on, rooms cool and trendy (yet warm and clean) and the staff unobtrusive, yet friendly and helpful.

We found the customer service excellent. Whilst the staff do not jump up when you enter the Hotel they are very helpful and accommodating when you seek their help (embarassingly Icelanders have a truely fantastic grip of the English language). Their approach merely reinforces the view that the staff want you to enjoy your stay in your own way rather than to be constantly pawed. This view was substantiated upon our arrival: A large group had decided to stay on for a further day and as such we were whisked off to one of their sister Hotels (Hotel Plaza) by private car. As compensation a bottle of Champagane and chocolates were delivered to our room As you will appreciate these are hugely expensive items in Iceland and greatly appreciated.

The breakfast is a buffet style arrangement. The scope of the offer is more than ample; you can brave the pickled Herring through to a simple bowl of museli and fruit to start your day. Again the staff quietly went about their work ensuring that everything was topped up and fresh, even at the end of the breakfast period at 10am.

The rooms will probably not be to all tastes. Repleat with leather sofas; cow hide on the floor; large frosted glass dividing doors and untiled concrete floors & walls in the bathrooms. Very cool and trendy. We were on the first floor and only heard the last few hours of the weekend madness early on Saturday morning (around 5am). Other than that a restful and chilled time was spent in this Hotel.

We had hired a car for our trip and only on one day we had park on a meter. Parking is free, and plentiful, outside the Hotel. This is outstanding when you consider that the Hotel is located off of the Reykjavik equivalent of Oxford Street.

Overall a brilliant Hotel and when we return to Iceland this will be our first choice without doubt.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We booked our honeymoon at the Thingholt based largely on information here on Tripadvisor. The hotel was actually our second choice, but I am now SO pleased that our first was full booked!

Before I go any further, I will just say that this hotel will not be for anyone. The decor is modern and ultra-trendy. If leather floors and frosted glass walls aren't your thing then this place may not be for you. In truth, that sort of thing isn't usually for me either, but it somehow works in Reykjavik.

The most noticeable thing about the Thingholt is it's location. When we were dropped off outside I really did wonder what I had let myself in for. The outside of the hotel looks a bit like a multi-story car park and the street it is on is not exactly the most beautiful.

Despite my first concerns though, it turned out that the hotels location was one it's strongest points. The hotel is based just a few yards off the main street in Reykjavik, where pretty much everything that happens in the city seems to happen. Great bars, restaurants and coffee shops are all just a couple of minutes walk from the front door of the hotel.

I had noticed that other travellers had complained about the noise from the street. I have to say that we didn't notice this at all. The rooms are extremely well glazed and if there was noise outside then I guess that must have stopped us hearing it.

So top marks for location from me then.

It has to be said that our room was slightly insane. It was all big silver balls and cow-print - not what I am used to at all. I found this a bit much at first, but soon got used to it. On a more practical level the room was warm, comfortable, very well maintained and well appointed.

The other real strength of the hotel was it's staff. The reception staff at the hotel were so helpful in helping us plan our stay. I understand that it is normal in Reykjavik for the reception staff to book tours for you, but they also gave us the real low down on what to see when (even down to which bars/coffee shops the locals used). Their advice definitely helped make our whole stay that much better.

The only real downside for me was that the bar downstair was not really utilised. I can't really say that was much of a complaint though, as there was some excellent bars within feet of the hotel.

All in all a wonderful stay. Definitely not the sort of hotel I would usually book in to, but it is a place that I would certainly return to.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2008

The hotel is on a side street just off the main high street. It doesn't look much from outside, but inside its warm and has a very modern feel. Lots of low black leather sofas and funky lighting.

The room was great, again the decor was very modern but still cossy at the same time. The bed was really comfortable with individual duvets, so no waking up cold becuase your other half has most of the duvet! The bathroom was small no bath, but the shower was great. The only thing is that all that separates you from the bedroom is a frosted glass wall and glass sliding door, which doesn't feel very private.

Buffet Breakfast was included, mainly cereals, cold meats, cheese and pastries. With a choice of fruit juices, water coffee etc.

Staff on reception were quite reserved, but very helpful in dealing with any requests put to them. We had organised a Northern Lights tour and the tour guide had cancelled without letting us know. We spoke to reception and she helped organise a Northen Lights trip for the same evening.

On the whole I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would definately recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple