“Great location”
Review of Guesthouse Sunna

Guesthouse Sunna
Ranked #6 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Sunna was booked for us as part of an Iceland tour package. We were very pleased with the location, off the main strip, but close enough to walk there easily. However, since I was traveling with my parents, I'd have picked a slightly more upscale room. If you're young and traveling with friends, the normal room with shared bath or room with private bath is probably fine. The guesthouse was clean and comfortable. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Guesthouse Sunna made our trip to Iceland very pleasant. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, comfortable and inviting. The location is great, close to everything and anything you would need in downtown Reykjavik. The breakfast was tasty and varied.

My wife and I are laid back Americans, and we do not demand nor expect much to be happy. This location exceeded every hospitality preconception. It's a little pricey, but coming from Alaska it was not surprising. Everything is more expensive in the arctic. Very comfortable, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Get a room on the northeast side for a good view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a great budget option, super clean and convenient and only five minutes walk from the city centre or the lake and just by the large church. They serve a good breakfast and you have the option of using the shared kitchen

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The best in Guesthouse Sunna is its location: you are near the center and still the place is calm. There's about 5 minutes walk to the bus station and 15-20 minutes to the harbour where the boats for whale watching start. As the guesthouse is situated on the same hill as Halmgrim Church, you can't get lost.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and on request it's possible to have a simplier one even very early in the morning, if you should take an early flight for example. You'll find a lot of brochures about the different daytours and destinations and can book trips at the reception. Also the tour operator whose daytrips I participated came to pick up and drop off until to the door of the guesthouse - that service is not available for all the places.

What wasn't so pleasant was the price: I payed more than 80 €/ night for a very basic single room without own bathroom. There was a common kitchen with tv just outside the room - while my stay no one used it, but I guess sometimes it might get a bit noisy.

Anyway, I was very content with my stay and if I return to Reykjavik one day, I'd stay in Guesthouse Sunna again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Sunna Gueshouse is at a great location just opposite Hallgrimskirkja, so it's very easy to find.
The staff was very friendly and the breakfast (buffet-style) was good. There weren't as many choices as in other places but there was everything I need for a perfect breakfast.
It has a 24-hour-reception and free wi-fi as well.
I had a room with a shared bathroom but I think there was just one other guest sharing with me, so that was absolutely fine. There's a sink in the room, so no need for brushing your teeth while someone's waiting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Negative:
-When I was making the reservation, I phoned up and requested a room with private bathroom. They confirmed there was one available. Therefore I sent the request with my credit card details over their website. After several hours, I had not received a confirmation and therefore I rang them up again. They said there was no room available with private bathroom for the days I had requested. Hours later they sent me an email saying that they had found me a room with private bathroom but (and I quote) "In our (the hotels') defence, it was the middle of the night when you first called"... errr... it was 7am Iceland time. Not a very welcoming attitude.
-Way too noisy: you can hear every single door in the building when is being open or shut. There is considerable noise from the street as well.
-Each floor has a kitchen. There are rooms that open straight into the kitchens or are right next to it.
-They forgot to make my room once and they didn't clean the bathroom for several days. There was no apology when I told them.
-They give you the option to request an early breakfast. The night before I was leaving for the airport I requested this service but the following morning the guy at reception said he did not receive the order and therefore my breakfast was not available. He made no attempt to even give me 1 apple!
-You can't control the heating in the rooms, so if you are cold... good luck!
-Towels and linens have seen better days

Positive:
-Good breakfast
-Good location

Would I recommend staying here? No, there are plenty of better options in this city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank teresa m
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We're very experienced travellors in Iceland and have stayed at most hotels in Reykjavik and Keflavik . 10 years ago , Guesthouse Sunna was recommended to us and since then , we've stayed there every time we've passed through Iceland . At Guesthouse Sunna you'll find the most friendly staff in the World , the service is SUPER , the location couldnt be better and we always wish we could stay longer than planned! Thank you Guesthouse Sunna and see you again next year ;-)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family