“Very Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #5 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very Comfortable Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

After researching on TripAdvisor for self catering accommodation in Reykjavik I decided to contact Sunna Guest House as it had good reports and it fitted our budget. After the swapping of a few emails I began to be very confident in my choice. We booked an apartment with breakfast included which was such a good idea and the breakfast was good with a decent range of choices topped by fresh baked bread.
We were in Iceland for 9 nights and the Sunna were happy enough to book us in for the first 3nights and the final 3 nights in the same apartment. The apartment was ground floor and we could park our hire car just outside the door makes life so easy. The apartment was excellent large and roomy well equipped kitchen as we chose to eat in a few nights every thing was at hand. The bathroom was the smallest room... it would be classed as compact but absolutely adequate and clean. The beds were so comfy it was a struggle to get up in the morning so be warned. If there was a downside to be had it could be the noise created by the services collecting the bins but nothing that was a problem. The location was so central right opposite the famous church which is the highest point in Reykjavik so easy to find your way back. I will be returning to Iceland again and I have no hesitation in staying here again in fact I would look forward to visiting Sunna and its staff .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely place to stay- warm, comfortable rooms with good facilities, fantastic staff and breakfast with home-baked bread. The location is convenient for town and the harbour area. A real bonus was being able to use the simple cooking facilities after a long day's tour.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I first stayed at Guesthouse Sunna in 2007. When it came to my second visit, with a friend who was joining me on my recommendation, I looked at many accommodation options first because I didn't want to impose my experience on her. In the end, we chose to stay here and she agreed that Sunna was a good choice. The rooms are not ritzy but they are clean, comfortable and have everything you need, unless you are someone who likes to have lots of 'stuff' in their room. The only thing is that the shower/toilet area is narrow - best to keep the door open to avoid knocking your elbows into things when drying yourself. We didn't find this an issue. Some people might. I like the fact that we see the Hallgrim Church every time we walk out the door. I like that we are far enough away from the main streets not to be disturbed by noise, yet can walk there in minutes. I like that we have a cafe within about 10 metres of the Guesthouse that does Icelandic fare. Sorry, can't remember the name but it is on the corner of a street opposite the church - I can recommend their meat soup and homemade rye bread with smoked trout and cottage cheese - although Icelandic rye is sweet so be prepared. Mind you, you are spoiled for choice in Reykjavik to eat delicious fresh food and the fish, as you can imagine, is amazing. I was pleased to see that what hadn't changed since I was last here was the great breakfast Sunna lays out for its guests. Also, we were hoping to see the Northern Lights (unsuccessfully) and needed to receive messages each day as to whether we were going out or not and reception always made sure we received these, even though there were different people working on different days. Reykjavik is one of my favourite cities and, when I go back, I will probably stay at Guesthouse Sunna again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonds, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

They say that first impressions are lasting, and unfortunately we had a little incident that dampened our impression not long after we arrived. My confirmation email had stated that if we arrived prior to check in that we could "use their dining room." I am sure now that it was just a language misunderstanding, but to me that meant that we could have breakfast. So after dropping off our bags, we proceeded into the dining room and began to fill our plates. One of the staff came in and asked if we had just arrived, and then told us we would have to pay for our food because our reservation did not include breakfast until the next morning. Okay - so its not that big of a deal. But, we hadn't slept all night. And the dining room had other guests who were watching this. It was embarrassing. Frustrating. We weren't really that hungry anyway. So, we handed her back all the food we had put on our plates (including the cereal with milk on it), and went to our room. I don't think they should have chosen to embarrass/confront us over a bowl of cornflakes and a few pieces of toast.

Now that I have shared that and gotten it out of my system...

The guesthouse is in a very convenient location. Just a couple blocks off the main shopping street (so it is fairly quiet), and right on the convenient route for tour pick ups. It is very clean. The rooms are small and the beds firm, but we slept like rocks because we were so tired. The blinds are room darkening which helps to sleep during times when your body doesn't think it should be sleeping (because of time change).

Breakfast was typical European fare, coffee, juice, different breads, meats, cheeses, and fruit cocktail.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful at giving directions and securing tour confirmations. Regardless of who you booked a tour through, do make sure to let the front desk know what tours you have booked for - they will help make confirmations, which is important because if a tour is cancelled you may not find out unless the front desk knows. Nice bonus - they packed us up a breakfast to go when we had to leave very early on our morning of checkout.

When we return to Iceland, we will likely stay at one of the geothermal spa resorts. But, if we chose to stay in town - I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a corner. Our room faced the busier of the two streets. If you have a choice, I wo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnton, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom and enjoyed it. Our room was small but comfortable and had a balcony looking out to the church. Big windows in the room gave good views of the surrounding neighborhood. Flat screen TV in the room was a nice perk. Hotel is not quite in the city center, which makes it quiet and still a good location for walking to all of the sights. Supermarket is close by. Parking around the hotel is free and easy to find. Included breakfast was standard but good. The price was a great value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed both in a studio and a room on two different occasions--both very nice and exceptionally clean. Reception was very patient and kind to us. The location is definitely a plus for walks around the city and a little grocery two blocks away. Though we didn't use them, there is DYO washing facilities and laundry service for those willing to pay while gone for the day. When we had a room we used the kitchen on the second floor. Parking was another plus, PRICED RIGHT AT under a hundred dollars. Nice place!

• Stayed April 2013
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Sunna Guesthouse is close to Reykjavik's catherdral so it is easy to find if you are driving as it can be seen from all over town. The guesthouse is one street away from where you have to pay for parking. Reykjavik is small so you can easily walk to anything you want to see from the guesthouse.
The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The decor of the hotel is appealing yet simple. My room was spotlessly clean. The bathroom is small with a shower and toilet but it works fine. The room is a reasonable size. TV channels are limited to a few, but you are not here to watch TV. The bed was moderately firm.
Breakfast seems to be the same where ever I stayed in Iceland. No hot food just cold meat, cheese, boiled eggs, cereal, fruit, bread and spreads, juices, coffee and tea including herbal.
Considering the hotels location and standards it is great value. I stayed in a couple of Icelandair hotels before this guesthouse and the guesthouse is better and cheaper.

• Stayed April 2013