“Don't bother; overpriced and average at best”
Review of Saga Museum

and up
Saga Museum - Entrance ticket
Ranked #30 of 182 things to do in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: A Viking Museum that intimately recreates key moments in Icelandic early history, moments that have determined the fate of our people and which give a compelling view into how Icelanders have lived for more than a millennium. From the time of the earliest settlers, history is brought to life in a unique and exciting way, with life-like wax wax figurines. Visitors are guided through the museum with an audio-guide.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

It's a shame that the guide books talk this place up whereas, like other reviewers, I thought it was poor value (2000ISK !!) for looking at some (admittedly very good) models and listening to a lecture designed to lull one to sleep. It is very small too. Go to the National Musuem instead - good value and well-presented. This is a con and unworthy of otherwise interesting Icelandic culture.

2  Thank Vega77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The saga museum, was very good, however, expensive! With your ticket you get a free audio guide to go round the exhibition/museum. Life-like models bring it alive, but the size was tiny, with only about 10 exhibits, the gift shop took half the room ! Food is available to purchase at the top of the stairs, toilets are just down from the museum, with a giant man made waterfall which you can throw money in, which runs every 5 to 10 minutes !

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visited 6 museums in Reykjavik and this was the only one that I wish I had given a miss. It’s not that I didn’t like the exhibition…far from it. Having studied history at uni, I found the waxworks and the audio commentary really interesting. However, given the high entry fee, the exhibition is much too small to justify the cost. I simply didn’t think it was good value for money. I had read similar opinions on trip advisor before going, but as I love historical museums, I decided to give it a go. It was a mistake.

That said, the Perlan, where the Saga Museum is housed, is well worth a visit. I was there on a clear day and the views from the top were magnificent.

1  Thank Eva049
Reviewed September 1, 2013

On one of many rainy September days we have spent in and around Reykjavik we decided to go to this museum based on other reviews we read about it. I was under the impression that there was no charge for the museum, but was OK with paying based on the reviews I had read. Either the museum has drastically changed, or I went to the wrong museum.

We decided to go up to the cafeteria for a quick bite to eat first. The food was OK, but bland. The line was long and the place was overrun with tourists so it was slow going.

Wen we were done eating we headed down to the "museum" to learn that it would cost our family of five (two adults and three children under ten) 34,000 Iceland Kroner. We then overheard the cashier telling a less than polite tourist who interrupted our transaction that it was an "exhibition"- much more accurate description. The museum is about the size of a city studio apartment with perhaps ten different scenes. At the end there is a gift shop which takes up about a third of the space, naturally.

We read that there is an area for the children to dress up as Vikings. It is in actuality a table with some things on it and a sign that says that the items are intended for adults only. The items that are for children are only for sale, not for playing and ridiculously overpriced.

So far, we have decided to "see for ourselves" when it comes to most attractions around Iceland. E have found to our delight that many of the reviews have been a little exaggerated, but in this case, it simply is not so.

Unless you are specifically going to the building for dinner at The Pearl, which I have heard is good, I would not bother even stopping at this trap.

1  Thank HopeSoToo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Saga Museum is situated in a building complex called "Perlan". Inside the building there are gift shops, cafés, a restaurant opened only for dinners. From the terrace of the building, you can enjoy panaromic view of Reykjavik as well.

As I had read a lot about Iceland's history before our visit, the Museum was not very impressive for me. But for those in our group who did not have prior knowledge, this brief tour over the Museum proved to be informative. The exhibit is mainly about the early years of Iceland, based on sagas: wax sculptures depicting important scenes. It starts with first settlers of the island and goes up to Reformation years. Sculptures are very succesful, almost real. In case you want to have basic historical information about Iceland, this Museum can be a right choice but don't expect a lot of detailed information, that's not present here.

As for the other facilities in the Perlan building, gift shops offer variety of Icelandic souvenirs. The cafe is adequate for a quick bite. The terrace is prefered especially by photographers for its scenic view of Reykjavik but the panaromic view from Hallgrim Cathedral is much more beautiful when compared with this one.

1  Thank TubaKoseogluOkcu