“A lot of fun, and a clear vision of Iceland's history”
Review of Saga Museum

Saga Museum
Ranked #28 of 182 things to do in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: A Viking Museum that intimately recreates key moments in Icelandic early history, moments that have determined the fate of our people and which give a compelling view into how Icelanders have lived for more than a millennium. From the time of the earliest settlers, history is brought to life in a unique and exciting way, with life-like wax wax figurines. Visitors are guided through the museum with an audio-guide.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Oh, we had so much fun. The day we visited the Saga Museum was a special day, and there were lots of people. Some of the figures were actual living humans in a viking disguise, and when we walked past, they scared us - some of the guys REALLY scared us. It was fun to hear newcomers (specially young girls) shouting, haha.

We get some headphones and the stories are read to us, so this is very comfortable. I took a second run to read everything carefully. It was gorgeous. You get to realize of how the early history of Iceland was, in a personal way.

It's absolutely worth the money!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was a great museum, sure its a little small and some people may think the audio guide rushes you through the tour. But thats what the pause button on the control is for and I'd strongly suggest using it to take your time!

The wax figures, props and set do an amazing job to inform and educate you about the history of Iceland. Once you've read and listened to everything and taken in everything, dont miss out trying on the armor, helmets and weapons. Although they're replicas, you'd be surprised how heavy the chainmail vest and helmet are - i struggled just to walk around with everything on, I have no idea the Vikings of old actually fought in full gear!!

PS - the fee isn't THAT expensive, its cheap compared to some of the other activities in Reykjavik!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The saga museum is very interesting and I would recommend it. I went after I had been to the national museum and I think that was perfect because it helped reinforce what I had already learned there. It was also good to see see replicas of the artifacts I saw in the museum actually in use- I could understand how they used the tools, or how they wore the jewelry after the saga museum (vs in the national museum where the artifacts were just laid out). Only down side is that the saga museum wasn't bigger.

1  Thank Vanduinek
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This museum, located inside the Perlan, is well worth the fee. You get an audio guide and then slowly walk around the waxwork exhibits depicting the highlights of several Icelandic sagas. The sights and smells of the Saga age fill your senses and you can also watch a video of how the waxworks were created by using people from the area to model the casts! We also got the chance to dress up as Vikings. Well worth it!!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We loved the Saga Museum, the sights and smells of the history of Iceland, right before your eyes!
The whole museum is well laid out, it is a museum of waxworks essentially, but very well done waxworks, all telling the story of Iceland from the settlement through to Snorri Sturluson, and much more.
The audio guide comes free with admission, and is very useful and clear. You amble your way through exhibits, stopping to listen to your guide and to admire the scenes before you.

1  Thank RebeccaSill