“Once (or multiple if you come back??) in a lifetime experience”
Review of Arctic Running

Arctic Running
Ranked #117 of 286 Outdoor Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Offers a great selection of running adventures for all levels around the capital area and the beautiful southern interior of Iceland. We make sure that you enjoy the best of each season while exploring the stunning nature of our country. All of our guides are highly experienced trail and ultra runners with great knowledge of the Icelandic environment and ever-changing conditions. We offer both day tours and longer overnight combo tour and we love to create tailor-made running adventures for groups and individuals. With our selection of running tours, from demanding and strenuous runs (+3 hours) to moderate runs (30-90), all runners should find something that suits them.
Reviewed October 16, 2016 via mobile

My Volcano City trail run with Elisabet was a highlight of my trip. Communication prior was professional, with quick responses, and Birkir asked about my experience, pace etc. and advised us on clothing for the weather closer to the day of the tour.

The lava field we ran through was about a short 15 min. drive from the city center from which Elisabet picked us up (myself and another lady from the US that particular day). It was a geopark/national park of sorts, just indescribably beautiful alien land stretching out as far as the eye could see with large hills in the distance. I was previously not familiar with trail running, and Elisabet gave a good introduction to the techniques and differences from running on asphalt, and led at a manageable pace. We ran/jogged/hiked through a gravel trail to a more challenging rocky trail, up to the ridge of the crater of small dormant volcano. The wind was quite strong on the top and I fell over and scratched up my leg a little, but Elisabet was quick to respond and feel out the injury and check if I wanted to stop or take a rest. I felt very safe and taken care of, and was eager to check out the crater (it is really cool) and finish the run back. Elisabet checked in with me to see my comfort level and stop as needed and we completed the 5.5 mi/9 km run. She bandaged my leg to give it some light compression and it didn't even hurt afterwards (it was just a few scratches and some light bruising in the end that healed up nicely).

All in all, it was an incredible experience that I could not recommend more. If you have a half a day/a day during your Iceland trip, check out this opportunity to see the landscape up close with a knowledgeable guide. Elisabet is an extremely accomplished ultra runner as well and it was inspiring and humbling to talk with fellow runners.

All reviews
"insight"
"knowledge"
"nature"

Reviewed October 14, 2016

When planning my trip to Iceland, I knew I wanted to go for a long run while in country and consulted many maps to try to plan a route around Reykjavik on my own. But then I found Arctic Running on Trip Advisor and jumped at the chance to not only run with a guide, but go on a magazine-worthy trail run around a volcano on the volcano run. It was even more incredible than I could have imagined. The communication with Birkir during the planning and booking was excellent, and he answered all of my questions. Elisabeth was our guide, and she picked us up from our hotel and drove us the short drive outside of Reykjavik to the volcano park. The trail started as packed gravel single track, but shortly transitioned to more technical, rocky trial. The views were amazing along the way...moss covered volcanic fields as far as the eye could see, yellow and red (fall colors!) low plants amongst the craggy peaks, etc. We ran up to the edge of the crater of the dormant volcano and around the rim, which was incredible. Elisabeth was not only a kind, funny, and friendly guide, but an incredibly seasoned and inspiring ultra trail runner. She took numerous frame-worthy photos of us running and sent them to us that same day. It was truly one of the most incredible running experiences--or any experience--of my life!

Reviewed October 9, 2016

My wife and I had an outstanding run with Arctic Running! We chose the "volcano city tour" and were completely satisfied with our selection. The tour followed terrain that could've been featured on the cover of Trail Runner magazine and we were also appreciative of the conversation and knowledge of the area provided by our guide "Biggie"! Communication with the company was consistently prompt and thorough, Arctic Running even picked us up from the BSI bus station and dropped us at our rental van company after the run. I would highly recommend Arctic Running for runners who wish to be guided by the best. We hope to use their services again in the future!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 30, 2016 via mobile

Had an amazing run with Gunnur today, superb in fact! Amazing landscape, completely contrasting terrains, breathtaking! Gunnur was great only too happy to stop and take cool snaps. When I come back to Iceland I will definitely be doing another run with these guys. Can't recommend them enough!