“Literally going off the beaten path”
Review of Arctic Running

Arctic Running
Ranked #117 of 286 Outdoor Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Offers a great selection of running adventures for all levels around the capital area and the beautiful southern interior of Iceland. We make sure that you enjoy the best of each season while exploring the stunning nature of our country. All of our guides are highly experienced trail and ultra runners with great knowledge of the Icelandic environment and ever-changing conditions. We offer both day tours and longer overnight combo tour and we love to create tailor-made running adventures for groups and individuals. With our selection of running tours, from demanding and strenuous runs (+3 hours) to moderate runs (30-90), all runners should find something that suits them.
Reviewed July 10, 2016

Despite re-spraining my ankle, and being sore from the half-marathon, I had an amazing time with Gummi and his wife - it was a beautiful run/hike (only 10k due to the injuries), and I enjoyed the nature and the chance to get to know people who lived in Iceland. I would do this again in a heartbeat (and hopefully in a healthier state of body)!

All reviews
"insight"
"knowledge"
"nature"

Reviewed June 18, 2016

If you're in Iceland and you want to truly embrace the surroundings there really is no better way than layering up and getting out there for a run. I booked a 5 day trip to Reykjavik in search of the northern lights... and never saw them... but, you know what, it didn't matter, because i had an amazing time doing other stuff, the highlight of which had to be the arctic running tour my girlfriend and i signed up for on our last day. Little did she know i had an ulterior motive - and what better place to pop 'the question' than a snow covered lava field?!

We booked a place on the volcano run and tour guide Birkir proved to be a hero by helping me put the wheels in motion. Everything was well organised.. Birkir rounded up the runners - an intimate gang of 6, drove us to location, provided nanospikes for those without (me for one) and lead us out across a huge volcanic crater, exploring numerous caves and points of interest, whilst also capturing our experience with his camera along the way. The landscape was beautiful and made for a refreshing change to the parks and roads of London, and we were greeted with a diverse range of weather, from snow showers and wind to blue skies and sunshine. During one of the brighter moments i decided to man up and embrace the moment, so i told Laura to hold back while i delve into my backpack to find my Gopro and get a pic of us together. I'm searching for a little drawstring bag/camera case - the camera wasn't in it, but the ring was! So now i'm crouching down (on one knee!) to get better purchase of my backpack while i route around looking for the ring, Laura's telling me to hurry because the rest of the group are off up ahead - i told Birkir not to worry if i drop back, he knew the deal ;) But my search is becoming somewhat frantic now and there's still no sign of the ring, it's not there! Abort proposal! Abort proposal! When we catch up with the group i have to motion to a beaming Birkir and motion to him "shhh.. say nothing Birkir, i couldn't propose, i've lost the ring!" He looked dumbfounded by my misfortune/stupidity and told me not to worry because we could retrace our steps back to the car park and 'all being well' find it en route. Where there's a will there's a way. I suspected it might be in a cave we'd ventured into early in the run... it must have fallen out when i first grabbed my Gopro from the drawstring baggy where the ring was stashed. So a few nerve racking miles later we get to the cave and Birkir (i think now assuming i'd found the ring) leads us into a small ice cave before abruptly leaving us alone so i have privacy for the proposal. I haven't got the ring but what the hell, it doesn't get much better than this, so i'm on one knee again... it was a beautifully surreal (and nerve racking) moment... she said yes!

Ridiculously, i then found the ring, slowly freezing, abandoned, in the middle of a lava field, about a mile later.

So... despite a minor heart attack and rollercoaster of emotion everything had somehow fallen into place. Not only had i enjoyed an enlightening and scenic arctic run in the company of good people, i had bagged myself a fiance for the journey home. The celebrations weren't done yet though. Birkir, the romantic old dog, had stashed a bottle of champagne back at the car that we would all drink together in a nearby cave. A delightful end to our adventure.. Birkir will get a toast in my groom's speech for sure.

Reviewed April 22, 2016

If you haven't run in wind and hail and snow and sun all within a 9 mile run, you are missing out. I was in Reykjavik to celebrate my friend's 50th. He always finds a running guide when he travels and this was my first time being able to join. This run was the highlight of the trip for sure. The terrain was beautiful and the company was outstanding. Our guide, "B", was knowledgable about the history of the region and well organized. He even brought champagne to celebrate the engagement of two runners who joined us. They got engaged in a cave along the run. My buddy Tim and I are always looking for an adventure. This was one of our best.

Reviewed April 3, 2016

I had an amazing time with Birkir and several other runners on a 12km stretch of the Burfell lava fields. If you're on the fence about whether you need a guide to run in Iceland - I know I was - contact Arctic Running anyway. I would have felt incredibly unsafe traversing the terrain we covered without a guide, but with Birkir I felt well looked after. Not only was he an awesome conversationalist and an overall chill dude, but he went to great lengths to make sure we were prepared and comfortable. He even loaned me his snow spikes so I wouldn't have to buy my own pair. For everything that's included - the amazing experience of the savage Icelandic landscape, the safety of running with a seasoned guide, not to mention pick up/drop off and snacks - the cost of the tour is absolutely worth it. It was also a great chance to meet cool travelers in Reykjavík - we ended up going out together afterwards.

It would be an understatement to call my trip a unique experience: two of the participants on the run, a couple from the UK, actually got engaged during the tour!! Afterward, Birkir broke out the champagne and we all toasted their future. Take note boyfriends: this is a proposal that really can't be beat.

The only slight downside to my experience was some communication challenges before the tour. I was calling and emailing the office for several days before I finally heard back from them about a definitive time for the tour. So if this happens to you, just be patient and persistent - the run is well worth it :)

Oh, and if you go in the winter, bring a spare pair of socks for the ride home - it's impossible to keep your feet dry and my toes got a bit chilly.