“Best part of my trip!”

Arctic Running
Ranked #118 of 285 Outdoor Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Offers a great selection of running adventures for all levels around the capital area and the beautiful southern interior of Iceland. We make sure that you enjoy the best of each season while exploring the stunning nature of our country. All of our guides are highly experienced trail and ultra runners with great knowledge of the Icelandic environment and ever-changing conditions. We offer both day tours and longer overnight combo tour and we love to create tailor-made running adventures for groups and individuals. With our selection of running tours, from demanding and strenuous runs (+3 hours) to moderate runs (30-90), all runners should find something that suits them.
Reviewed April 22, 2016

If you haven't run in wind and hail and snow and sun all within a 9 mile run, you are missing out. I was in Reykjavik to celebrate my friend's 50th. He always finds a running guide when he travels and this was my first time being able to join. This run was the highlight of the trip for sure. The terrain was beautiful and the company was outstanding. Our guide, "B", was knowledgable about the history of the region and well organized. He even brought champagne to celebrate the engagement of two runners who joined us. They got engaged in a cave along the run. My buddy Tim and I are always looking for an adventure. This was one of our best.

All reviews
"clothing"
"insight"
"nature"

Reviewed April 3, 2016

I had an amazing time with Birkir and several other runners on a 12km stretch of the Burfell lava fields. If you're on the fence about whether you need a guide to run in Iceland - I know I was - contact Arctic Running anyway. I would have felt incredibly unsafe traversing the terrain we covered without a guide, but with Birkir I felt well looked after. Not only was he an awesome conversationalist and an overall chill dude, but he went to great lengths to make sure we were prepared and comfortable. He even loaned me his snow spikes so I wouldn't have to buy my own pair. For everything that's included - the amazing experience of the savage Icelandic landscape, the safety of running with a seasoned guide, not to mention pick up/drop off and snacks - the cost of the tour is absolutely worth it. It was also a great chance to meet cool travelers in Reykjavík - we ended up going out together afterwards.

It would be an understatement to call my trip a unique experience: two of the participants on the run, a couple from the UK, actually got engaged during the tour!! Afterward, Birkir broke out the champagne and we all toasted their future. Take note boyfriends: this is a proposal that really can't be beat.

The only slight downside to my experience was some communication challenges before the tour. I was calling and emailing the office for several days before I finally heard back from them about a definitive time for the tour. So if this happens to you, just be patient and persistent - the run is well worth it :)

Oh, and if you go in the winter, bring a spare pair of socks for the ride home - it's impossible to keep your feet dry and my toes got a bit chilly.

Reviewed February 2, 2016

I visited Reykjavik in Dec. and was excited to run the city. I generally run any new city to get a feel/sight-see on my own. However, I'm glad that I used Arctic Running. Elisabet was a great guide who showed me parts of Reykjavik that were off the beaten path that I would have never seen without her help. She even brought along a running jacket (since I forgot to pack mine) and some cleats to slip on my running shoes to protect me from the ice and snow. Overall, I highly recommend the company and Elisabet in particular. My first but not last time running in Iceland. Tak!

2  Thank MGesq1
Reviewed January 5, 2016

If you are a runner... And want a unique running experience this is definitely the tour for you. Elísabeth took me out for a run around Reykjavik during a terrible day of weather but was super enthusiastic which kept me excited throughout the run. This is definitely the highlight of my time in Iceland.

We did a run around the city - which worked out perfect for the weather and the limited time I had in Iceland. I plan to come back and do one of the trail runs next time !!!

2  Thank world_travels27
See more reviews
Reviewed November 26, 2015

During my visit to Iceland I did a whole host of activities and saw some really cool places, but by far my favorite experience was the trail run that I did with Elísabet. As she guided me through the Smoky Valley she shared her extensive knowledge of the area, gave me some fantastic advice on training, trail running, and even a few great restaurant tips. :) I can't wait to come back to run more trails with her and the folks at Arctic Running! I highly recommend that runners of all levels check them out. I promise you will not regret it!!

3  Thank Jennifer M