CenterHotel Plaza
Hlemmur Square(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$173
$165
  • Restaurant
City Center Hotel(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$190
$175
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$268
$208
  • Restaurant
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$347
$281
$475
$415
Hotwire.com
2,178 results
All reviewsgreat locationsmall squareoverlooking the squarebreadcentral locationsuperior roomhappy hourhot and cold foodbreakfast roomnorthern lightsblue lagoonmini barbars and restaurantsreception staffdouble bedbathroom floorporridge
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I've travelled to Reykjavik on two occasions prior to my last visit; on my previous visit in December of 2012, while shopping at Reykjavik's Christmas Market, I made not of the Centerhotel Plaza located in the very center of the city. When I added Reykjavik to my latest travels, I made sure to stay at the Plaza.

The Plaza is located by a small square directly in the commercial center of the city, surrounded by numerous shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. It is within walking distance of most of the city's major sites, including the Harpa concert hall, the Hallgrimskirkja, and the Laugevegour commercial street. A large taxi rank is located directly across the street from the hotel, and as with the other major hotels in the city, the Keflavik Airport shuttle buses stop at the front door. The desk staff of the hotel seemed to be of a younger age than the other hotels I have stayed at in Reykjavik, and their English - like that of nearly every young Icelander - was flawless. They were accomodating and very helpful, assisting with booking bus tours and offering dining suggestions in the city.

The building itself looks very contemporary and features large windows overlooking the square. Immediately off to the left of the lobby is a hotel lounge. Though somewhat small, the lounge features weekday Happy Hour specials on Icelandic beer; in a city where one's drinking tab can reach astronomical heights in a short time, these specials are a welcome sight.

The rooms themselves are nice without being lavish; mine featured a hardwood floor, dark woodgrain desk and wardrobe, satellite television, and a minibar. Prices for the minibar are somewhat outrageous - there is a nice covenience store/mini mart located next door to the hotel where the same items (sans the minibar's alcoholic beverages) can be purchased more reasonably. The bathroom facilities are also modern and clean, although the shower stall was somewhat cramped. The housekeeping staff kept the entire property clean as a pin during my entire stay. A large breakfast buffet is served in a basement meeting room; there are a large variety of hot and cold options, and the staff keep the buffet freshly stocked and tidy.

Drawbacks? The same location that provides the traveller with easy access to the city's famed nightlife might be looked on as a drawback for those who are early to bed on weekends; the bars and clubs of the city do not really fill up until after midnight on weekends, so external noise might be a problem as many of the drinking establishments don't close until 6:00 AM. The carpeting in some of the common areas, especially the stairwell, has been worn threadbare and needs to be replaced. There is no onsite restaurant, but this is more than offset by the variety of eating establishments located withing a few hundred yards of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank denverc30
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend from the 27th-30th December 2012. We had not booked to stay here but our travel plans were changed by our travel company at the last minute and in the end it was probably for the best!
The hotel's location is great, in a small square with shops, bars and restaurants close by. As so many other people have mentioned the staff at reception and on the bar were extremely friendly and helpful, especially when we had booked a tour to see the northern lights which got cancelled on both of the nights we hoped to be going.
We had a front facing room with a 'wet room' bathroom which was just what you needed and clean. However, on the Friday and Saturday night we were woken up drunk people visiting the sandwich shop outside at all hours of the morning. I can sleep through pretty much anything so I was only disturbed the once but my boyfriend kept hearing people until about 5am in the morning. On the Saturday night the hotel staff actually called the police and went outside to shoo people away who were drunk and having a cigarette whilst waiting for their sandwich or just hanging around. Saying this I would not be put off from staying here again but if you are a light sleeper - maybe a front facing room isn't for you!
The breakfast buffett was all that you needed to start you up for the day so that you only required a light lunch - hence saving some pennies. Cereals, toast and preserves, eggs, sausages, bacon, juices, tea and coffee...
Another little plus that cheered my boyfriend up was that you can get BBC Scotland on the televisions so when I am reading up about what we are going to do for the next day he can switch off!

2  Thank Leigh H
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Reykjavik, for 1 wk. The room was very nice, clean, and had a very high standard. The staff in the reception were very friendly and helpful, and I will stay here the next time I go to Iceland.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DrTraveller83
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for New Year on our first visit to Iceland. The hotel represents good value, in a good location close to many bars and restaurants, with cosy and warm rooms. Mentioned earlier in another review the court yard view was sad, but our room was very quiet, as we were initially given a room at the front which was really noisy due to Friday night revellers. Probably being a bit picky as I know there are bars in the area but the hotel has a whole area which could have been better utilised as a bar area rather than being a walk through come bar.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed in this hotel late December and were really impressed with how accommodating the staff were. Upon arrival we were put into a twin room and when requesting a double, Clara was quick to sort this out. When comparing the two rooms, we definitely saw two sides to the hotel.
The double room we stayed in was lovely, power shower was great, only criticism is that we were given no milk for our tea!
Angel the receptionist forgot to book us onto our blue lagoon tour, but this was quickly resolved (again by Clara - thank you) and she even asked us how it went when we returned.
A great hotel, we would recommend to anyone and would stay here again on return.
Thanks Plaza!