“awesome location - nice, huge suites”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
“awesome location - nice, huge suites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

we split our 10-day stay in reykjavik b/w hotel odinsve and radisson sas 1919. of the two, i have to say i prefer the 1919. while they are both similar in cost, hotel odinsve is not as centrally located as 1919, which is smack dab in the middle of downtown. the room at odinsve is also smaller, and feels much more like a boutique hotel.

the 1919 is not as big as chain hotels outside of iceland, but it is tastefully done. the lobby is a bit dark, but the suites are huge and very bright. the "feel" is that of a hip business hotel.

the service was great, although not impeccable. since we came in the aftermath of the economic meltdown, traffic was a bit thin, and they were able to give us a free upgrade to suite, which was huge in comparison to our room at odinsve.

there was a slight mix-up at check-out. we were charged for our breakfasts there (apparently, the rooms do not come with breakfast), but after explaining our situation, the desk clerk removed the charges. we appreciated that.

overall, it's a nice hotel (though not a traditional five star) in a great location of reykjavik. i would definitely stay here again.

btw, my best advice reykjavik advice is to eat at the seafood cellar. i usually hate asian fusion-type foods, but they do it well there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnk348

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

Early February I travelled to Iceland for a long weekend to celebrate my partner’s 40th birthday. We had a perfect trip though the hotel could have been more comfortable.

The staff were friendly and efficient. The Hotel is very central and its surroundings pretty quiet with the port only metres away. The decor is pretty standard and cold for a business hotel with only strange sculptures spoiling the lobby. The restaurant was nice and a pleasant place for what was a great breakfast.

I booked one of the 1919’s two suites due to the special nature of the trip. The wooden floored aiery suite was very spacious and immaculately clean. Almost too airy and certainly too clinical. It felt angular and cold but not in a designed way. The furnishings were Spartan and mediocre. There was space for a sofa and a soft armchair yet there was only a round small dining table with four high backed dining chairs. I do not remember a rug to make the space more homely. The “suite” felt like a very large under furnished room with spare furniture, a real let down given our expectations and a real shame given the rooms potential. My other point of disappointment with the suite is that it is, almost certainly, a converted attic and, given its size, there is almost no window surface with only a few small roof lights looking skyward. Such a shame to have no view to admire.

The bathroom was very large with a vast walk in shower. All, walls, floor, tiles, light was white, cold white re reminiscent of a sanatorium than a hotel. It had deep and long Jacuzzi bath with very good quality and bountiful complimentary toileteries. (my only suggestion here as with the SAS Radisson in Amsterdam earlier) might be a dimmer switch on the bathroom lights which could only either be fully on or off - not the best for a romantic soak !! :-))

The wifi connection was up and running quickly. The Nespresso professional coffee machine was welcome. I now feel that an ipod dock or connection for ipods to the hi-fi unit in the room should be standard. One could therefore listen to one's own music, (this is becoming more and more standard in good hotels as many more of us travel with our iPods and no longer cd's). There was however a selection of 5 very bland cd’s however, none of them to our taste.

I could certainly have been accused of over/hyper organizing our trip. In the weeks prior to our arrival I sent many, many emails asking recommendations for restaurants, trips etc. These wre met with prompt and precise replies. One of the points I fixated on was the ‘organisation’ of a surprise cake and a bottle of champagne on the morning of my partner’s Birthday. We settled on a price and a type of cake – to be made by the Hotel’s chef. It is true that I was too busy to triple check on the day before that all would go smoothly yet, on the morning, when nothing arrived, I called twice trying not to let the ‘cat out of the bag’ to my partner. Two portions of chocolate cake and a a bottle of champagne came to the room an hour after the first call. I went with the flow only explaining a while later that it should have been a cake. When I raised the point to the reception they waived the charge with an apology.

Iceland is great though , you must visit if you haven’t already. Musts are the Blue Lagoon, the Seafood Barron, Iceland Fish and chips. Id stay at the 19 SAS Radisson again .. just wouldn’t expect so much again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aTRIPinTIME
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

This was the second hotel that I stayed at while in Reykjavik. The first being the Centerhotel Thingholt.

Pro's: the price was very good for what you get. the hotel is well maintained and well designed. My room was a decent size, as European hotels go. Staff was friendly.

Things to watch for: it was a bit noisy during my stay. Not inside the hotel, but outside. One night, about a block down, some people were at band practice with their window open and the sound reverberated down the block and into my room. Then every morning I could hear the protestors downtown (protesting the government, what else). Horns were blaring for a good hour and they were blasting music. This was from about 7:30AM to 10:00 AM. Ok if you get up and out early, but if you want to sleep in or hang in your room, yikes. It gets annoying. I'm sure that this was going on during my stay at the Thingholt, but due to it's location I didn't hear it.

Con's: None really. Location wise, I think the hotels on the hill (where the Thingholt is) are in a better area for food, cafe's, and shopping.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

I often stay at Radisson hotels - you know what you get. I was a little disappointed by this hotel though. The location is good - within walking distance to the attractions. Small rooms, nice staff, food was ok but expensive. Fitness facilities were good, but no pool. No parking facilities. Not worth the money.

• Stayed April 2007
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

Booking the Radisson SAS Hotel 1919 was possibly one of the worst decisions I have ever made, when it comes to booking hotels. Having stayed in Reykjavik before (at the CenterHotel Thingholt, which was great), I wanted to take my fiance away for a surprise trip and excitedly booked the Radisson 1919. I booked about three months in advance on Expedia and spoke to the hotel twice in the fortnight before we travelled. Despite this, when we arrived (exhausted around midnight) we were told that our room had been given to someone else. There was a big corporate group from Volkswagen there and I can only assume they gave our room to one of our party, placing their large corporate client ahead of us in terms of importance. The staff on the desk consisted of one pleasant, but useless employee who was clearly scared to tell us that we didn't have a room and another incredibly surly and unhelpful 'manager'. At no point did anyone apologise for giving our room away without notifiying us. We were finally relocated in the other Radisson hotel on the outskirts of the centre of Reykjavik. To be fair to the Radisson chain we were given the Presidential suite - although even this wasn't up to much - very tired looking. I never got to see the rooms at the Radisson 1919, but the attitude of the staff was enough to put me off ever recommending it to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The staff's attitude to having bumped us from our room.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LondonCC
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

Loved the Radisson SAS 1919. We were there over the Chirstmas holiday and only have 2 complaints. There are no drawers in the room to store your clothing and no vanity space in bathroom. There is a generous closet---but we ended up keeping our suitcases set out our entire stay (1 week). Contrary to other reviewers, we found the hotel to be surprisingly quiet. The hallways are set up so the noise doesn't travel from room to room and the walls are plaster. Rarely saw other travelers while there. The people at the front desk all spoke English and were more than happy to set up excursions for us. Hotel is located right next to famous hot dog stand and all the shops you could hope for. We found Rekjavik to be quite quaint and a good stopping ground for our escapades around this beautiful, diverse island. Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — location, location
  • Disliked — no clothing drawer space (teeny tiny bedside table drawers--that was it)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank feena1114
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

This hotel is extremely clean and surprisingly quiet considering how close it is to most of the restaurants and bars. The location is perfect for a stay in Reykjavic.

The rooms are on the smaller side but not cramped. We did change our room when we got there b/c we did not like being on the second floor near the street lights. The front desk moved us right away with no problems.

Front desk was extremely helpful with restaurant reservations and day excursion bookings.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Reykjavic.

• Liked — clean, location, friendly front desk
  • Disliked — rooms were on the smaller side
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends