“right in the heart of the old city, an unexpexted modern hotel”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed September 2, 2014

REALLY like modern hotels. Staff was VERY nice, efficient & friendly. There are 2 reasons for not giving them 5 stars. NO BATHTUB & after doing so much outdoors in the cold, I could have used a warm bath and on the weekends, ALL the city's partiers must walk & sign & scream by our window.
Breakfast buffet was really good. they even had Fish Oil for your pleasure, so you get all your Omegas.

Room Tip: maybe you can get a room away from the street side IF you're traveling there on the weekend
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
RadissonBlu1919, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and write your review.

It is a pleasure to see that you liked your stay with us and specially our helpful and friendly team, they do try their best in assisting our guests as give each guest a pleasurable stay.

I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed our Super Buffet Breakfast and the selection that we provide.

Some of our rooms do have a bathtub inside so please give your request for that if you ever return.

Soffia S. Pálsdóttir and the 1919 team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed September 2, 2014

The hotel staff are extremely pleasant and helpful. The hotel is perfectly located for a stay in Reykjavik. The noise was nowhere near as bad as other reviews suggest. The room was quite spacious. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Carol F

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and post your review of your stay.

It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially the service that our team provided you, the great location of the hotel and your guest room.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

I stayed for four nights mid-August. The hotel is located in central Reykjavik and although the area has a reputation for being noisy, particularly at weekends, my request for an interior room was fulfilled and I had a quiet stay. The room comfortable with all the amenities I needed. Breakfast was excellent; one of the best Radisson Blu buffets I've sampled.

The staff were very professional and extremely helpful. Those at the Reception Desk helped with locations of places I wanted to visit and checked my airport transfer. I checked out at 4.00 am and there were snacks available and two members of staff if help was needed. The wait staff were pleasant and attentive. The houskeeping staff were efficient.

Should I return to Reykjavik I would be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellingSam2011

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule and write your review.

It is a pleasure to see that you had an excellent stay with us and the impression that our team had on your stay. I do believe that our team try the best for each guest and it is always a pleasure to see when we have succeeded.

Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in August for my partners birthday. Hotel was an excellent standard really clean and well layed out. All amenities available. Staff were excellent really friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Stayed on 3rd floor room was really spacious and had everything we needed. Really quiet no noise from the street. Was in an excellent location in Reykjavic close to bars, shops and restaurants. Also close to harbour area. Would highly recommend anyone to stay here was really impressed the staff really helped us out with information. We also went on a trip to the blue lagoon and they loaned us towels free of charge so we didn't have to pay at the lagoon. Very satisfied!!!!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel P

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and write your review.

I am very pleased to see that you had such a great experience with us and the service that our team provided your family during your stay. It is wonderful to see when we have succeeded in fulfilling our guests expectations.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We stayed only for one night in August. The room was on the third or fourth floor (not sure) and faced the back side of the building.

The room was relatively large, the bed was comfortable and we slept very well. The quality is just what we expected from such a hotel. The staff was friendly and we were able to store our bags before picking up our car in the city. Breakfast is a bit on the expensive side but was well worth it, as it has a large selection of food and drinks.

The location of the hotel is excellent and we would consider staying again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back of the building are quiet but do not have a nice view
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and post your review.

I see that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially the Super Buffet Breakfast, the size of the room and the the bed.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

My wife and I checked in after midnight following a long flight.

Upon check-in, we received the smallest and worst room we'd ever stayed in -- both in size and height -- over years of staying in hotels. Imagine a small attic space with 2-6 foot ceilings. I couldn't even stand up to walk to the bed! To add to the "ambience", there were no windows or ventilation in the room and the bathroom was so tiny the sink was practically on top of the toilet. The room became hot and stuffy almost immediately, and it was difficult to sleep.

When I went down to discuss the room situation (I literally couldn't stand up in the room!), the person at the desk mentioned that we were staying in a "historical building" and all of the rooms were taken except one that was even smaller. My wife and I both have Gold Elite status with Club Carlson, which typically means upgrades or at least a decent room. Not this time!

In the morning, I asked again if we could switch rooms, and they were nice enough to move us to a Junior suite with comped breakfast. Our new room was fantastic, and gave us some room to move around and a great view out over the street below. What a difference! The upgrade was unexpected, and really made up for a sleepless night the night before.

We ended up staying a couple more nights later in the week, and the service and rooms were excellent during our subsequent stay.

In the end, any hotel can mess up. It's what they do about it that counts. We felt like the staff at the Radisson Blu 1919 really went out of their way to make things right for us, and appreciated the unexpected gestures of kindness.

A couple of quick tips:
* Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur is a famous (and cheap) hot dog stand adjacent to the hotel. Be sure to stop and get a hot dog when the line isn't too long!
* Public Parking (P1 lot) is right across the street. If you're only here in the evenings, parking is free (they only charge between 10am and 6pm).
* P2 and P3 parking lots are even cheaper, and there are plenty within walking distance of the hotel.
* Sign up for Club Carlson (loyalty program) before you go. Being a member will typically keep you out of the worst rooms in the hotel -- but maybe not always. :)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule and post a review.

I am very pleased to read your review and to see how our team was able to change your experience from a negative one to a very positive one. We do strive to make each stay as pleasurable as possible and I am very delighted to see that we succeeded with your stay.

Have a great day,

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I had a very pleasant 3-nights stay with a nice room , good brekfast and a friendly and helpful staff. I would like to come back another time. The hotel is very well situated near the harbour and the Harpa Conference center. You are really down town

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time and post your review.

It is a pleasure to read your review and see that you enjoyed your stay with us, our Super Buffet Breakfast, the location down town and the service that our staff provided you during your stay.