“First time in Iceland - this was where we stayed.”

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It was good. Slap bang in the centre of the capital. Second time tried the Hilton a bit of hike into town. Third time 1919. There is a pattern here. Fourth time 1919. Go figure. The bar is fantastic, the restaurant is tip top, not more I can say really.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wwwlsnr30
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this short, to the point and very positive review.
We are very greatful you chose to stay with us here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel on the 3rd and 4th visit in Reykjavik and look very much forward to welcome you again on your 5th visit.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

we stayed here one night before joining a cruise - in retrospect, I wish we had come a few days earlier so we could see more of the city. But the location was perfect for walking around - up to the cathedral, to city hall to see the great relief map of the country and just meandering around the city streets. The hotel staff was very helpful, although very busy with all the cruise passengers; our room was comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. Couldn't ask for more.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fantastic reveiw of your stay with us here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel! We are all very happy that you chose to stay with us the night before your cruise and hope we get the opportunity to see you again on your next visit to Reykjavik.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for tourists visiting Reykjavik - great restaurants nearby as well as shops and museums. However, the front desk staff was terrible. We arrived at 7:30 am and were told our room should be ready in 90 minutes. We opted to have breakfast in the hotel dining room, which we enjoyed, and returned to get another story of the room being ready by 11 am. So we went out to walk around, returning after lunch - about 1:45 pm. The room was still not ready. At 1:55 pm, just 5 minutes prior to advertised check in they made us feel like they were doing us a big favor by finding us a room "early." We checked in and went up to the room to find that it was on the top floor, in a dormer which severely limited head room in half the room. The bed was pushed up against a wall, so that there was no way for a 2nd occupant to get into bed without crawling over the bed and under the dormer. We returned to reception and insisted upon a different room, which they provided. It was fine, but nothing special.

Pluses included good black-out drapes - important during summer 24-hour daylight - and a very good breakfast buffet. However, their bar service was hopelessly inadequate. We ordered a drink and asked for a snack menu, which they promptly provided. Then they never returned - not even to take another drink order.

Downtown Reykjavik has so many nice hotels that there is no reason to put up with such poor service. Had reception told us at 7:30 am that our room wouldn't be ready till 2 pm we would have planned on spending the day out. Instead they kept telling us to come back in an hour or two. And we never received the least bit of a "sorry."

This isn't the first Radisson where we've experienced less than acceptable rooms and service, so I have to fear that they are dropping the standards. I'm not willing to pay Radisson rates for Holiday Inn performance.

1  Thank Luv2TravelFarNWide
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay with us.
I am very sorry to learn that we did not deliver the level of service you expected from us.
Clearly, based on your feedback, we did not communicate as well as we should have upon your arrival but I am sure our team did only have the best intentions.

We always try to improve ourselves and our level of service, and we will go over your feedback with our teams so we can do better for future guests.

I am very happy you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, as our goal is to have the best breakfast in Reykjavik.

I hope we get the opportunity to see you again in Reykjavik and that we get the opportunity to improve your impression of our Hotel. Please e-mail me directly on Frode.Jansson@radissonblu.com and I will make sure we can make a future stay and enjoyable one.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I absolutely loved my week at the Radisson Blu 1919. We had a lovely room that was perfect for us - large, attractive with all necessary amenities. The location is perfect as you can walk around the city center, along the water, up to the church or inland a bit to the local pools. The staff was wonderful as well. They were endlessly helpful, genuinely nice and easy to talk to. They would arrange trips, provide helpful info, and attend to any requests quickly. The breakfast buffet was a perfect start to the day and the coffee was delicious. I hope to return sooner than later as the hotel and staff were a large part of my wonderful week in Iceland.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dsc216

Dear Guest,

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel while you were in Reykjavik. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to send a e-mail to Frode.Jansson@radissonblu.com.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a smaller, charming hotel right in the heart of the city--perfect for walking everywhere. It offers a lovely buffet breakfast. The hotel staff is extremely welcoming and helpful. Rooms are attractive. The hotel even has several parking spaces right outside the front door if you rent a car (driving in Iceland is easy). There are great restaurants nearby as well as good shopping.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quite large.
1  Thank Gail V

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review based on your stay with us. I am very happy to see that the Team here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel contributed positively to your Iceland experience!

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

LOVED the 1919. the location is wonderful. The staff helpful and gracious. Their smiles stood out! the rooms- airy, clean, pleasantly decorated. Breakfast - plentiful and varied. My only complaint was that theu could not improve the weather. I recommend this hotel whole heartedly!

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I'm a big fan of this hotel and would have no issue staying here again! The
room was very large and nice. My friends room was also huge but totally different design. Nice beds and bathroom was great as well with nice shampoo and other products they give you. The staff was absolutely superb. Very nice and helpful with lots of advice and they'll do anything for you. We didn't go to breakfast or dinner because of price but our friends raved about the food. Free wifi was nice too. Location is very good, easy to walk around the city from here. Close to many cafés, restaurants, the waterfront and attractions. Stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013