“Do not stay here!”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for our 2 night stop over on our way back from London. I had booked the hotel months in advance and paid in full. We arrived at the hotel around 4pm and were advised that they did not have a room for us. They seemed to think this was pretty standard stuff and were in no way sorry. They told us they had made us a reservation at another hotel. I had already read about them doing this to other people on Trip Advisor and they had said that the hotel they were sent to was not nice and was a much less expensive and a dirty hotel. Having read this review I knew I did not want to go to the other hotel. I told the woman at the desk that we did not want that reservation and to just refund us the $ and we would find another place to stay. She said that since I had paid in advance, I could not get my $ back. I thought this was a bit crazy as I paid for something I was not getting. We were very tired and could not deal with arguing with the woman so we just went to the hotel. It was in fact in no way as nice as the hotel we had booked and paid for. The person that booked us in said that they did this all of the time. It was an empty hotel and obviously not a popular choice. Our room was dirty with peoples hair in the bed and blood on the sheets.
When we were there we went by some of the other hotels. I would strongly advise staying at the new SAS downtown. It is brand new, it's beautiful, clean, modern and has a great bar and restaurant. My boyfriend has stayed at The Borg and said it is nice, but nowhere near as nice as the SAS.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank DAS30
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2006

I'm sad to hear that there was a problem with your booking. We try to avoid these overbookings but sometimes we are unlucky and when this happens we try to make the best of the situation as we can. I was not aware that the hotel we sent you to was in such bad shape as it was not one of our hotels.
This happens not often and I think we have had maybe 7 - 8 situations when we where fully booked and a person comes in and is not booked in the hotel. This happens all around the world and is something that we call human mistake which we all make sometimes.
As for those here that have had this experience I would be happy to make it up for you and if you like to contact me directly you can do so at to@hotelcentrum.is

Best Wishes
Thorhallur
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,817)

Reviewed November 26, 2006

we have just returned from a six night stay at the centrum hotel. this is a modern hotel the rooms are small but nice. I emailed the hotel after reading about overbooking and they comfirmed it was ok. The only thing disappointing about the centrum is the breakfast there could be more choice. i would say this hotel is great for a few days in iceland.

1  Thank djl-uk
Reviewed October 23, 2006

I was a little apprehensive of going to the Centrum because of previous bad reviews and details of double booking.

What I got at Centrum was a fantastically decorated bedroom with a lovely big double bed. There was an LCD TV with some English channels and the Icelandic channels showed English language shows in the evenings. We had an ice machine on the landing and we had some duty frees before we would head out. The shower is really powerful and the bathroom was clean and the cleaners were really flexible about when they would come in with a green / red (go / stop, clean / don't clean) hanger for the door.

The breakfast is great with maybe a bit too much choice. They go on serving to 10 am and to 11 am on Sundays. A similar breakfast would cost ISK 1000 in town.

The location of the Centrum could not be better. We walked most places and when we took the city bus service, we used the stop round beside the parliament, about 1 minute walk away. There are great cafés, bars, hot food stands, a convenience store all within 3 minute walk.

The restaurant in the Centrum does great food in the evenings.

Finally, the staff are really friendly and will help in any way possible.

I cannot comment on rooms being double booked but if you take my advice, you will stay in the Centrum.

3  Thank Smick
Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed in a junior suite at the hotel and it was great. The service and room was excellent, as was the location. We had dinner in the hotel and it was very nice, as was the bar. I would definitley go again.

3  Thank Jimmyjazz