“Left with nowhere to stay”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I booked to stay in this hotel from 29th December to 3rd of Jan and on 15th December I was advised they were double booked through my tour operator. Apparently this happens quite a lot I was advised. Whilst this does look from the outside like a fabulous hotel and is in a great location, 2 weeks before we flew to Iceland to be told this was very disappointing as very near to new Year the majority of other local hotels were booked up. This left me in a bad situation as this was a surprise for my partners 40th and a Christmas Present. I booked the hotel in October so to be left this late to be told it was double booked was poor

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Helen J
There are newer reviews for Hotel Reykjavik Centrum

Reviewed January 10, 2014

This city centre hotel is comfortable, again clean and warm. There was an ice machine on our floor, which was handy. Very near to shopping streets near by. They provide hot breakfast which some hotels don’t.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We spent six nights here. The hotel was located ideally for exploring the City, the room, although compact, was perfect for a city visit. We didn't eat in the restaurant, except for breakfast, which was a little disappointing, if adequate. The bar food was very good, as were the staff throughout. A lovely place to stay; we would return happily.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel is in a pleasant quiet location but easy walking to everything. Rooms fine and there is an atmospheric bar used by locals where you can drink( Italian red wine and local beers excellent) and have a bite to eat. Staff helpful on desk. Restaurant a bit quiet and food a little disappointing- breakfast really not worth it unless you need to eat early before a trip.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mesapolonica
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel has very helpful staff. We arrived late (no problem), they upgraded our room (without even asking), and gave us great tips about spending our last day in Iceland. The location couldn't be more central to everything there is to see and do in Reykjavik.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoyfulTraveler85
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Right in the centre of the city, it's a short walk to the harbour and lots of shops, restaurants etc. Good value - big comfortable room and attentive staff who were very helpful with advice about places to eat etc. The one downside about Reykjavik is that it's a huge hike to the airport - had to get up incredibly early to check in for a 9am flight and the bus out to the airport involves being picked up in a shuttle and then taken bleary eyed out to the bus station. All a bit much after a heavy night partying in the many bars! However the hotel itself was great, good value, comfortable and well located.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum for one night in mid-November, on a layover to London. I had been wanting to go to Iceland for some time (but full trips can be pricey), so wanted to pack in as much as possible in my short stay. This was the perfect place for my needs.

My flight arrived early in the morning at KEF, so prior to my departure I asked if there was any way they'd be able to check me in early. It's dependent on whether the guests in your room depart early, but it is worth giving them a heads up ahead of time, as the concierge really went above and beyond to get the room cleaned quickly to check me in as soon as possible.

I arrived around 8 a.m. and was able to get into my room by 12, which was perfect as it gave me a bit of time to wander around downtown Reykjavik before taking the Golden Circle tour. I love that the hotel is so central and easy to locate, as it's right next to the town's centre square. (My sense of direction isn't great, and even I had no problem finding it after a wander.)

The room: Very clean and well-equipped with a safe, nice closet, extra pillows and blankets and quite a nice bathroom. Not enormous but certainly not one of those cramped rooms where you can tell they've crammed every inch of space *cough NYC cough*. I opted for the double bed option, which is actually two twin beds pushed together. I like to sleep in the middle and didn't find this bothered me, it was nice to have the extra space to starfish. :) But if you tend to sleep on one side of the bed anyway, it probably isn't worth it. The TV worked fine and had plenty of English shows to choose from, though with the location of this place, I wouldn't waste your time with TV when you could be exploring!

I had the breakfast while waiting for my room - this was the only part I was less than thrilled with - the breakfast costs extra (2500 ISK, I think) and isn't great. There is lots of variety and everything tastes fine (DO have the sausages and any cheese if they're out as they're excellent), but there are plenty of cafes close by that are delicious, it just depends on whether they're open. That said, if it's early and you want something quick, it's a good option.

Favourite parts of the hotel: The decor (modern without feeling cold and inaccessible), the very friendly staff - it's small enough that the front desk people really remember you if you're friendly, how it looks all lit up at night (gorgeous), and the location.

Cleanliness and comforts were excellent as well, but the hotel's charm and beautiful surroundings are such that those sorts of things don't stand out once they've been satisfied - ya dig?

Definitely a great place to stay in the heart of downtown Reykjavik.

Room Tip: If the first floor doesn't make you nervous (nothing to worry about here, though), it's a ni...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo