“Comfortable, functional, enjoyable”

Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London, UK
“Comfortable, functional, enjoyable”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Right in the centre of the city, it's a short walk to the harbour and lots of shops, restaurants etc. Good value - big comfortable room and attentive staff who were very helpful with advice about places to eat etc. The one downside about Reykjavik is that it's a huge hike to the airport - had to get up incredibly early to check in for a 9am flight and the bus out to the airport involves being picked up in a shuttle and then taken bleary eyed out to the bus station. All a bit much after a heavy night partying in the many bars! However the hotel itself was great, good value, comfortable and well located.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum for one night in mid-November, on a layover to London. I had been wanting to go to Iceland for some time (but full trips can be pricey), so wanted to pack in as much as possible in my short stay. This was the perfect place for my needs.

My flight arrived early in the morning at KEF, so prior to my departure I asked if there was any way they'd be able to check me in early. It's dependent on whether the guests in your room depart early, but it is worth giving them a heads up ahead of time, as the concierge really went above and beyond to get the room cleaned quickly to check me in as soon as possible.

I arrived around 8 a.m. and was able to get into my room by 12, which was perfect as it gave me a bit of time to wander around downtown Reykjavik before taking the Golden Circle tour. I love that the hotel is so central and easy to locate, as it's right next to the town's centre square. (My sense of direction isn't great, and even I had no problem finding it after a wander.)

The room: Very clean and well-equipped with a safe, nice closet, extra pillows and blankets and quite a nice bathroom. Not enormous but certainly not one of those cramped rooms where you can tell they've crammed every inch of space *cough NYC cough*. I opted for the double bed option, which is actually two twin beds pushed together. I like to sleep in the middle and didn't find this bothered me, it was nice to have the extra space to starfish. :) But if you tend to sleep on one side of the bed anyway, it probably isn't worth it. The TV worked fine and had plenty of English shows to choose from, though with the location of this place, I wouldn't waste your time with TV when you could be exploring!

I had the breakfast while waiting for my room - this was the only part I was less than thrilled with - the breakfast costs extra (2500 ISK, I think) and isn't great. There is lots of variety and everything tastes fine (DO have the sausages and any cheese if they're out as they're excellent), but there are plenty of cafes close by that are delicious, it just depends on whether they're open. That said, if it's early and you want something quick, it's a good option.

Favourite parts of the hotel: The decor (modern without feeling cold and inaccessible), the very friendly staff - it's small enough that the front desk people really remember you if you're friendly, how it looks all lit up at night (gorgeous), and the location.

Cleanliness and comforts were excellent as well, but the hotel's charm and beautiful surroundings are such that those sorts of things don't stand out once they've been satisfied - ya dig?

Definitely a great place to stay in the heart of downtown Reykjavik.

Room Tip: If the first floor doesn't make you nervous (nothing to worry about here, though), it's a ni...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah R
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Good location, although we were a bit worried about the lack of parking, this turned out to be quite easy and there was plenty of free spaces on nearby streets. Interesting combination of old building with new parts. Friendly & helpful reception staff. Room was spacious, and clean& comfortable. Just had a shower in the bathroom but this suited us. Breakfast was good with a wide choice of hot and cold foods, possibly the most choice of any hotel we stayed in our 2 week trip around Iceland. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening but we did have a light supper in the bar. This was very acceptable and a pleasant bar to sit in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samcat392
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We spent 6 nights in one of the hotels studio apartments over Christmas and it was a great base to explore the city.

The apartment was clean, spacious and cosy, we chose this over a room as we wanted the option of being able to cook meals as we'd heard eating out was expensive. While we didn't cook anything in the end having a fridge and facilities to make a snack was really handy, especially as the apartment was the same price as a room it made sense.

The staff on reception were really helpful and sorted out our requests for none feather pillows and a kettle quickly and efficiently.

Breakfast was tasty and the variety of hot and cold foods meant you had choice over 6 days. We ate in the restaurant on Christmas eve as well and this was a delicious meal, no complaints :)

The hotel is also on the pick up route for the excursions - we used Reykjavik Excursions - tours an be booked from reception and the free WiFi throughout the hotel also useful for making plans.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kate_bindotti
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is located in a central area of Reykjavik, about 10 minutes from the busy central area. There were plenty of choices for eating nearby. Hotel staff were all kind and spoke very good English. You can arrange most bus tours at the hotel. I'd visit there again if I go to Reykjavik again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hotel cancelled my reservation I made 4 months in advance for their nicest room for an anniversary trip over New Years less than 6 hours before my flight. On top of that, they tried to push me to a budget hotel on the outskirts of town. Neither the hotel nor the room were even close in terms of being comparable to what I reserved.

When I called to discuss this, I was told the booking manager was gone and would not return until Monday. Seriously, you overbook the hotel, don't honor a reservation from 4 months prior and don't have someone besides a desk clerk to talk to until 2 days later? I was told to send an email (still no response as I prepare to board my flight) ... Epic fail in terms of customer service.

We will make the most of our trip, no thanks to the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank ptrick2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

First off, I will say that I didn't have the best experience of Iceland. I came to experience a white Christmas and see the Northern Lights, and I was let down by the weather. I had tours cancelled and I didn't realise everything (and I mean everything) would be shut over the Christmas period.

But, that aside, I don't feel like Hotel Reykjavik Centrum improved my spirits by being particularly spectacular.

The staff are friendly, and very helpful -- and tried to help me out as much as they could -- but the room only had a single-sized bed and an ancient analogue television which either had audio issues or a fuzzy reception, and the internet was very poorly.

While I didn't come to Iceland to experience the hotel room -- my Northern Lights tour was cancelled, and because this was Christmas night -- there was nothing (at all) open to do anything else in town. So I was confined to my room with a crappy television and crappy internet.

Unlike some of the other reviews, WiFi is FREE, however, it is provided over an unsecure network which I disliked from a general security and connectivity standpoint -- and it was dead slow. My room on the 3rd floor and got consistent connection of 2/3 bars, but the internet connection constantly dropped out or slowed to dialup speed.

After a crappy Christmas day with a cancelled tour and nothing to do - I wanted to Skype my family back home but couldn't get a stable connection because of the hotels Internet.

Again, not entirely the hotels fault, but I felt that they didn't provide me with a service that could have perhaps helped make up a disappointing day.

Just other little things -- like for Christmas dinner (which I was now available for when I thought I would be on a tour) -- their restaurant, one of the only things open in town -- was booked out completely.

While I understand this, I kind of hoped that they would keep a section/few tables open for hotel guests to walk in without a reservation.

In the end though, it was a disappointing Iceland trip that really spoiled my mood and the Hotel did nothing "wrong", I would recommend you stay there for the location and the price and I will most likely return when I come back to Iceland to have a better trip than this one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo