“very good city centre hotel”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“very good city centre hotel”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Good location, although we were a bit worried about the lack of parking, this turned out to be quite easy and there was plenty of free spaces on nearby streets. Interesting combination of old building with new parts. Friendly & helpful reception staff. Room was spacious, and clean& comfortable. Just had a shower in the bathroom but this suited us. Breakfast was good with a wide choice of hot and cold foods, possibly the most choice of any hotel we stayed in our 2 week trip around Iceland. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening but we did have a light supper in the bar. This was very acceptable and a pleasant bar to sit in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samcat392

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We spent 6 nights in one of the hotels studio apartments over Christmas and it was a great base to explore the city.

The apartment was clean, spacious and cosy, we chose this over a room as we wanted the option of being able to cook meals as we'd heard eating out was expensive. While we didn't cook anything in the end having a fridge and facilities to make a snack was really handy, especially as the apartment was the same price as a room it made sense.

The staff on reception were really helpful and sorted out our requests for none feather pillows and a kettle quickly and efficiently.

Breakfast was tasty and the variety of hot and cold foods meant you had choice over 6 days. We ate in the restaurant on Christmas eve as well and this was a delicious meal, no complaints :)

The hotel is also on the pick up route for the excursions - we used Reykjavik Excursions - tours an be booked from reception and the free WiFi throughout the hotel also useful for making plans.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kate_bindotti
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is located in a central area of Reykjavik, about 10 minutes from the busy central area. There were plenty of choices for eating nearby. Hotel staff were all kind and spoke very good English. You can arrange most bus tours at the hotel. I'd visit there again if I go to Reykjavik again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hotel cancelled my reservation I made 4 months in advance for their nicest room for an anniversary trip over New Years less than 6 hours before my flight. On top of that, they tried to push me to a budget hotel on the outskirts of town. Neither the hotel nor the room were even close in terms of being comparable to what I reserved.

When I called to discuss this, I was told the booking manager was gone and would not return until Monday. Seriously, you overbook the hotel, don't honor a reservation from 4 months prior and don't have someone besides a desk clerk to talk to until 2 days later? I was told to send an email (still no response as I prepare to board my flight) ... Epic fail in terms of customer service.

We will make the most of our trip, no thanks to the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank ptrick2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

First off, I will say that I didn't have the best experience of Iceland. I came to experience a white Christmas and see the Northern Lights, and I was let down by the weather. I had tours cancelled and I didn't realise everything (and I mean everything) would be shut over the Christmas period.

But, that aside, I don't feel like Hotel Reykjavik Centrum improved my spirits by being particularly spectacular.

The staff are friendly, and very helpful -- and tried to help me out as much as they could -- but the room only had a single-sized bed and an ancient analogue television which either had audio issues or a fuzzy reception, and the internet was very poorly.

While I didn't come to Iceland to experience the hotel room -- my Northern Lights tour was cancelled, and because this was Christmas night -- there was nothing (at all) open to do anything else in town. So I was confined to my room with a crappy television and crappy internet.

Unlike some of the other reviews, WiFi is FREE, however, it is provided over an unsecure network which I disliked from a general security and connectivity standpoint -- and it was dead slow. My room on the 3rd floor and got consistent connection of 2/3 bars, but the internet connection constantly dropped out or slowed to dialup speed.

After a crappy Christmas day with a cancelled tour and nothing to do - I wanted to Skype my family back home but couldn't get a stable connection because of the hotels Internet.

Again, not entirely the hotels fault, but I felt that they didn't provide me with a service that could have perhaps helped make up a disappointing day.

Just other little things -- like for Christmas dinner (which I was now available for when I thought I would be on a tour) -- their restaurant, one of the only things open in town -- was booked out completely.

While I understand this, I kind of hoped that they would keep a section/few tables open for hotel guests to walk in without a reservation.

In the end though, it was a disappointing Iceland trip that really spoiled my mood and the Hotel did nothing "wrong", I would recommend you stay there for the location and the price and I will most likely return when I come back to Iceland to have a better trip than this one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Hotel Centrum. It was a perfect location for us to explore the city from and also to get to Grayline with whom we'd booked our tours with. We had upgraded to a deluxe room which was very spacious. Superking sized beds (two singles basically put together), dressing table, wardrobe, comfy chair and a little sofa. Very nice. The bathroom was a nice size as well. There were not many free TV channels to chose from but we were not there for that.

Breakfast was excellent, cooked or continental (or both) buffets with a great variety of items to have, juices and teas and coffee of course. All you could need in honesty.

We didn't have to engage the staff much but when we did they were very pleasant.

The only mild complaint is the wooden floors - if you have anyone heavy footed in the room above you will hear them go about their business. But other than that it was a very peaceful place.

Would totally recommend and stay there again.

Room Tip: We upgraded and chose a double deluxe room at the back (well, to the side) - 211 which was excellent...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JosieGirl70
Ledyard, Connecticut
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed every minute. The room was quite large with windows on three sides looking out over a small park and a patio area on the corner in front of the archaeology museum next door. The hotel is actually located over a dig site which has been made into a museum explaining early Icelandic setllements. Reykjavik is fairly compact, so the hotel is only a few blocks from almost everything, but seems to be in a quiet corner. ( Since we were there in very low season, I can't be sure about this for times like mid-summer.) They have a good restaurant where a very good buffet breakfast was also provided for residents. The only complaint I might make is a shortage of electric outlets--we had to unplug the coffee pot in order to accommodate our computer plus several chargers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple