“Unreliable in our experience”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We booked and prepaid our stay at Hotel Centrum months earlier, but on arrival were told they were overbooked and we would have to go to their sister hotel. This was extremely inconvenient as we had booked that hotel because our tour began there the next day. In compensation we were offered a meal at the Hotel Centrum and taxi fares to and from the new hotel. The receptionist tried very hard to compensate and was very pleasant, but admitted that this was not an unusual occurrence. This was confirmed by the new hotel and by the taxi driver. When we did stay there, the next day, we found the hotel rooms were clean but very small, but the location was great as it is very central to the main town. All up, I would not recommend this hotel as you just can't be sure your booking, even when prepaid, will be honoured.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SueMAustralia
Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location right in the centre of the city. Parking is nearby as are wonderful restaurants. Bar staff were super-helpful. The shower floods the room so we used every towel we had to mop up, but as we were only there one night it wasn't too big a deal.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank multitrips
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel directly via their website and their email confirmation did state that it was a “no cancellation policy” and I took this risk. Unfortunately a few days before I was due to go to them I was hurt quite badly and unable to walk without pain. I called to let them know I would not be coming (out of courtesy) and they reminded me of this policy. Kindly they offered that they would look into it and would contact me on email to say whether or not they would at least be able to offer a partial refund or some other offer (maybe defer the cost to cover another stay another time) due to the unfortunate nature of the cancellation and I thought it was good of them to do this.

Unfortunately no email contact ever came apart from a “how was your stay” email survey. I provided feedback on my disappointment about the lack of followup (whether I got anything back or not) and again never heard anything back.

So, just be aware that “no cancellation” means just that no matter what happens to you, and I hope that the lack of promised follow-up with me is not typical of their service. I still hope to visit Reykjavik once I have recovered.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed three nights total at either end of Iceland Full Circle self drive holiday, booked through Nordic Visitor. See sep reviews of Nordic Visitor and sites/hotels visited.
First night - room 206 - arrived around 9pm, gales and rain, but no heating on in room! Still, it warmed up quickly. Room overlooked front of hotel so there was a lot of noise. We were over the bar, which should have closed at 11.30pm the evening of our stay - but there was music and chairs being moved and making quite a noise below us up to 1am. Also outside people/ traffic noise.
We asked for a quieter room for our return stay, and they did us proud with room 304 - we loved the mezzanine bedroom with the electric operated curtains. Minor quibble was bathroom downstairs by lounge rather than near bedroom, and no mirrors in bedroom, strange oversight. But quiet and a real luxury after a 10 days on the road. Both rooms/bathrooms we had very clean/good selection of toiletries. Would prefer heated towel rail - towels just left damp to use the next day. Tea tray both rooms, gowns/slippers in the second room.
Breakfast is in the restaurant, and as others have said - gets busy, overspill eats in the bar. Buffet breakfast with a good selection of fruits, cheeses and cold meats. Also very crisp bacon, roast potatoes and rubbery overcooked scrambled egg and baked beans - under quite ineffective heat lamp, so lukewarm 'hot' breakfast. Lovely range of breads and jams.
Minus points - racks of empty wine bottles as a wall in the dining room are covered in thick dust (inside them as well - no corks) most offputting when you are eating next to them. Also - in three mornings not one member of breakfast staff either looked directly at us, acknowledged us, nor spoke to any guest as far as we could see. The chambermaids just leave their trolleys in the hallways and not one of the times we needed to could we get a luggage trolley anywhere near where we needed it to be. If I had been using my wheelchair it would have also been a problem.
However, reception staff were great, helping with enquiries and going out of the way to 'go the extra mile'. Only seemed unable to resolve the appalling TV reception in both rooms, other reviews have mentioned this so clearly a management ploy to get us out the rooms to the bar/pay for a film?
The hotel is very central, great for access to the shops/restaurants and old harbour . Can park for max 30 mins to load/unload in front of the hotel - with pay car park just to the left - be aware there is a one way system in operation in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This recently renovated hotel in the middle of the city looked fantastic on arrival and the lobby was also fresh and modern with a restaurant and a less formal cafe on offer. However, stepping out of the lift on the room levels the dirty, stained carpet was the first thing to hit you and I felt really disappointed after that experience. Why you would carpet these areas with a plain, light coloured carpet is amazing to me when the lobby area has a much more serviceable and clean-looking hard surface that is not noisy. The restaurant offered high quality food and high prices to go with it however the breakfast provided was excellent (not included in our package) and no more expensive than sourcing it at other places. We had one person on the front desk who was proactively helpful but could not say that for all of them and it was the only place we stayed in across 7 weeks and 4 countries which did not offer free wifi. Great location with some good points but overall a bit disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located for exploring Reykjavik. The rooms were comfortable. The only complaint I had was that the shower was tiny. I know that there are nicer hotels in Reykjavik, but this was the best one if you want to walk out of your hotel and be able to walk anywhere to see the sights. There was really no need for a car.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum is truly centrally located. Close to restaurants, shops, information, and banks. The walking tours recommended in the City Guide are all close by. We stayed four nights at the beginning of our visit. The staff was helpful and friendly and the room was clean, bright, and inviting. Our room did have an issue with the shower that was repaired. Our breakfast was not included so we chose to eat at the Coffee House across the street, and the bakery four doors down which were more economical. I would choose to stay their again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends