“Very good location”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was our second stay here and Centrum and once again proved to be ideally situated for the centre of Reykjavik. Rooms are more than adequate with tea/coffee making facilites. Breakfast service and quality fine. Worth visiting museum next door. Parking on meter on hill beside hotel.Can not really fault the place

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review of our hotel. I'm happy to read that your stay was a success. If you ever travel back to Iceland there are some good hints about parking that you might want to know. The parking meter is only active between 10:00 - 18:00 and completely free on Sunday. There is also a free parking close to the Catholic Church. Our front desk can also help to point on a map the exact location. Thank you again for the review.

Kind regards.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Right in the middle of city center it is a fantastic location! My husband and I stayed here and loved it! The front desk was super friendly and beyond helpful with anything you can ask! They helped us book tours, make reservations at the top restaurants and helped with our Icelandic! The room is a good size, but the shower is a little tight. I'm not a big person (5'2" and 120lbs) and hit my elbows on the shower walls and doors with every shower....but I've found thats to be expected with European showers. You are just across the square from the bars, but you cannot hear any of the noise from the party goers which is quite nice! Great place to stay!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and really enjoyed it. From the outside it looks like a tin shed/barn as it is a metal facade. But once inside it is very warm and comfortable.
It is central to everything but still quite. The room was a bit on the small side but was very clean but apart from that we are not the ones for staying in the room. The shower room was a bit small also but the water pressure was something else and it was also clean.

We did not eat in the dining room but we did eat in the bar. The food was excellent and never disappointing. watch out for the "oli beef sandwich". It sounds like a burger but its not!.

The staff were fantastic. They re-booked our trips out when they were cancelled due to adverse weather conditions even though it this was nothing to do with them. They even printed off our boarding passes for our return journey home.
The only thing I would suggest is a weather board in the reception so the guests can dress accordingly as the weather can change quite quickly. also if they had name tags we could name the really good ones. All in all this is a lovely little hotel and we would hesitate to stay there again.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights 3rd-7th March for a trip to Iceland hoping to see the Northern Lights. The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was not only comfortable and relaxed but also memorable. On arrival we were asked if our visit was to see the Northern Lights and we confirmed that it was. Far from being a courtesy conversation it turned out to be the most useful exchange of the whole trip, since the lady on reception not only advised us to change the day of our trip but even telephoned the tour company and made the changes for us. As it turned out, the night we changed it to was the only night during our whole stay that anyone saw the lights. How's that for service?
As the name suggests the Centrum is right in the heart of the commercial part of the city in a nice little square, with plenty of cafes and restaurants within a short and easy walk.
The rooms, though basically furnished, are warm, clean and comfortable. Despite the unusually cold temperatures (even the locals said so), we remained snug even when the wind outside was on more than one occasion blowing a gale. There is also a nice little bar near the reception area for that all important nightcap after a long day sightseeing the amazing countryside.
Breakfast was good, including a choice of cereals, pastries, yoghurt, fresh fruit as well as cooked fare. If anyone left for a day's sightseeing hungry I would have to question what they normally ate!!
We would certainly stay here again or recommend it to family and friends looking for a friendly hotel in a desirable location. Iceland it may be,but the welcome here was far from it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Good day

I am very pleased to see that your trip was a success and i want to thank you for taking time to write this wonderful review of the hotel.

kind regards :)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum for a long weekend. We weren't looking for anything fancy - just convenient and clean. We were not disappointed. The location of the hotel was perfect as it was within walking distance of all the restaurants, bars and shops but far enough away where you didn't hear all the noise from the crowds at night. Also, most tours have the ability to pick up and drop off right in front of the hotel.

The rooms were clean albeit small. The same goes for the bathroom - don't expect much here. The showers were TINY but the water pressure was very good and again spotless so I couldn't complain too much. I must say that the beds were incredibly comfortable so that was another big plus.

Finally, the staff were kind and helpful.

All in all this was a good, no frills hotel that was inexpensive. I found it good enough for our stay but may have wanted something a bit more comfortable if I was staying for longer than a weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Good day

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about the Hotel. I'm glad to see your stay was a success. If you do ever travel back to Iceland, try booking our Deluxe rooms, suite or Apartment for more luxurious stay. It would be our pleasure to make your stay here in Iceland more comfortable.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I am sitting in the hotel as I write this review. My room is on the smallish side, a single bed, big bathroom, all very clean. Yes, it's expensive, but come on it's an island and pretty hard to get to. Try the traditional Icelandic fare if you are here for a visit, remember it's an adventure.

There are a couple of things they could improve. Why charge for internet? That's getting pretty old school as more and more hotels offer it as an amenity. And while I don't typically spend much time in my room, the snowstorm (see below) changed that so the selection of TV channels could be improved. It was a borderline 3 or 4 star call but because of these I made it a 3.

Wish they had some, even a small one, fitness center.

The people I've met are friendly and willing to help. The lady at the front desk (don't know her name) but she was friendly and helpful every time I interacted with her. People tend to complain about the smallest of inconveniences but the bottom line for this property is I would stay again. And for those who think some reports are fictions, it snowed last night (6-8 cm), was about -2C,and the wind blew like a banshee all day, and my room is warm.

Room Tip: Request a room with a double bed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Good day

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I hope you read this in time as i want to point out to you that we do offer free internet in the Bar and we are working on to a new system which will offer our guests free internet. We are hoping that will be live in Sept 2013. I hope your stay will remain great and if there is anything we can do for you pleas contact the front desk.

Kind regards.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Located in the oldest street in Reykjavik in an historic square, it is a little haven just off from the main shopping areas and bars and restaurants and close to the old harbour area. Very nice warm rooms with good bathrooms. Halls and landing carpets looking ready for replacing but otherwise hotel generally very smart and clean. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful and I booked several tours through them. Not much public seating area but a great coffee shop/bar with free Internet. Buffet breakfast delicious with warm homemade bread. A great base to explore this wonderful city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo