“Nice size room and location”

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I'd like to give this hotel a 3.5 but ill round up to 4. I was traveling solo and booked a double room, the size was really big and I was on the fourth floor so I had a high ceiling too. The location is great and my room was perfectly quiet every night. That is about the extent of it however, staff was ok and breakfast good but having no tv and Internet really got to me. It is sad to say i needed it but true especially when alone. I had to stay an extra night due to flight cancellation and I decided to book somewhere else cheaper with more amenities and it was a dream!! If you don't need to conduct business or have much communication with family or friends you would be totally fine here.

Room Tip: Room 431 was nice!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed November 2, 2012

In the centre of Reykjavik, next door to one of the best restaurants in the city so an excellent location. Easy walk to many of the sights. Staff at front desk were initially not that helpful and although we had booked a suite we were put in a double room (and I had confirmed what we had booked when we checked in). Fortunately I'd looked at the hotel website before our trip and knew that the room we had been given was not what had been booked. When we challenged this, the staff conceded that all the suites were full that night and offered us a free meal in the restaurant and then to move us to a suite for the remaining nights. So not good at first but they dealt with the problem reasonably well (although it would have been a lot better for them to have been upfront about it when we checked in).

The hotel charges for wifi which is a big 'no no' in my book but there are plenty of cafes nearby with free wifi. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant - it was ok as we weren't paying but it would be much better if they kept the food simple. The suite, when we got into it, was worth it, on two floors, comfortable, with a balcony over the main street (could get noisy if the windows were open but it was too cold for that!).

Rated as average as it is listed as a 4 star hotel which it isn't - it is a very good 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just stayed here for one night last week. The best thing about the place is the location. It is at one end of the main drag downtown within walking distance to many bars and restaurants. The staff were nice and even told me where to park my car so that there wouldnt be any issues with that.

My room was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and nice overall. The only issue I had was that there was no free in room wifi (which makes me sound demanding but so many places offer it now that its almost expected). There are a set of computers in the lobby that you can use for free so thats a reasonable alternative. My only other issue is that because of Hurricane Sandy, I had to change my booking and lost a night to the hotel as it was prepaid. I asked for a refund and was told to email someone but I never heard back from them which is a bit disappointing. I don't blame them but even a followup NO would be courteous.

If I were to travel to reykjavik again, I would certainly stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were impressed with this uniquely designed and appointed hotel. It is located in the heart of the city very close to Parliment House. We understand that all rooms are equiped with Wi-Fi ineternet connections, minibar, satellite television, hair dryer, iron and board, room safe, coffee and tea. Twenty-four hour room service. Indoor heated pool, sauna and solarium. We had a large room with a large bath. Only a bath tub was provided because of the unique design of the ceiling in the bath, but this I heard was unusual for most baths provide showers as well. Restaurant was top rated, but had a short menu. My wife and I each had soup and a side and they were both excellent. Bar and breakfast room was nice, set up for conversation. The complimentary breakfast was the very best we had in Iceland. I have heard that the hotel is moderately expensive. We were on tour so it was included with the price. We highly recommend staying at the Centrum in Reyhjavik.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VA-Short-Term
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Horel is ideally situated to explore all the main attractions of Reykjavik. The breakfast is great and bar staff friendly. My only complaint was reception staff very grumpy and not very welcoming. We were in a room overlying the main street so it can become very noisy in the early hours!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mmjwbowman
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our second stay at the Centrum. Yes, the location is hard to beat and the rooms are very nice and clean. My only two disappointments would be that they charge extra for WiFi and breakfast is not included as it often is in Iceland. Our next time to our beloved Iceland, we will consider staying elsewhere in the city centre We very much enjoyed you, Centrum, but free WiFi in a hotel of your size, is a MUST.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gail K
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at the centrum on the first night we arrived in Iceland, lovely hotel, perfect location, room very nicely decorated and furnished with plenty of room for my husband, myself and our our son. The bar is modern but very cosy with the wood burner in the centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was just a shame they were booked up when we came back to Rejkavik as we would have loved to have stayed there again. Definitely recommended.

Stayed: October 2012