“Very impressed!”
Review of Hotel Fron

Hotel Fron
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This hotel has a fantastic location right on the main street, so is close to many things.

We had a basic room which was fine, although rather small. Maybe next time we would upgrade but it was perfectly fit for purpose and we stayed there 4 nights/5 days.

The bathroom was modern and very clean and the whole hotel appeared to have a high standard of cleanliness. Also, there is free wifi in the hotel which worked constantly; although it did slow down at times where there many hotel guests using it.

The night porter lady was an absolute gem and she was very pleasant to chat with.

We took the FlyBus from the airport which dropped us off and picked us up again.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

You should also receive a voucher for 20% off drinks in the bar downstairs which is good.

The food in the restaurant was good, apart from the burger which had far too much sauces etc on it and didn't taste too nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fron

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a studio apartment at the rear of the hotel, lovely and quiet. Adequate kitchenette, sofa and easy chairs, plus dining table and chairs. Would have preferred a kettle to coffee percolator, we used the microwave to heat water instead. Well stocked continental breakfast included in attached restaurant. The restaurant is a separate business to the hotel so meals cannot be billed to your room. Most sights within easy walking distance; the main street stays clear of snow and ice due to underground heating.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Thank you Helga and all the staff at the Fron for making our trip very enjoyable. We paid before we left UK an upgrade to a studio in a quiet apartment at the rear and it was well worth it in our experience. The staff were fantastic and acted as a tour guide also, letting us know also when a trip was confirmed and generally being as helpful as possible. I travelled with my mother 83 and the location was superb.

Room Tip: Quiet blue building at back, book if possible, studio bedroom with living area (includes small kitch...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was able to get a great rate for a 'studio apartment' -- really, a North Amerian-sized hotel room with a kitchenette but it worked for my purposes. The hotel is located on the main street and is close to pretty much everything. (The Reykjavik city centre is relatively small so most sights are within walking distance.) With the exception of one individual, I found all the hotel staff quite friendly and hotel. Some reviews complain about the breakfast but it's just fine -- standard Northern European cold spread, with yogurt, cereal, bread, cheese, etc. It's true that the decor in the rooms is a little dated but everything is clean, functional and comfortable so this didn't bother me terribly.

Overall, I'd say my experience here was fine. No real problems to speak of, good value for the money and truly an excellent location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

A very nice hotel in a busy shopping street with a pleasant walk to the harbor and many places of interest. Nice, clean, well-appointed, the staff are friendly and always ready to help fretful tourists out. My room was a reasonable size, the bed was twin, but comfortable, and since my window overlooked the courtyard, it was quiet, too. It also overlooked an outside staircase, but I just didn’t care much. I came there to see Iceland, not to be cooped up in a hotel room, so I closed the blinds and paid no attention to people passing by my window.
I would imagine that for older people, opening and closing the windows to let in some fresh air might be somewhat difficult because they are quite high up, though. Maybe I missed an easy way of operating them.
Their breakfast is a selection of breads, cold cuts, cereals, and fruits, and the space is a bit too tight for the large number of hotel guests, but the cold breakfast and the small space are my two gripes, and they didn’t spoil the overall impression. In the evenings, the same space serves as a restaurant, and a wonderful restaurant it is, too. Their lamb is out of this world, truly. All in all, I found Fron a very nice place to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great hotel in a great location. Close to everything you could need - shops, restaurants etc. Friendly and helpful staff who could not have tried harder to help. Breakfast was good, with a great selection of food and drink.

Room Tip: Had a room at the front of the hotel. Although a 'main' road there was very little noise, no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Amazing location - right on the main street in REYK
The room wasnt that great looking, old bathroom, old kitchen, old couhces, old bed, but hey it did the job for our one night stay here.

It was good enough but i would probably stay somewhere nicer for $10-50 more.

The breakfast was the worst of the three hotels we stayed at in Iceland, so we ended up eating one egg toast and jam and then buying some subway sandwiches afterward. Based on the cost of food alone in iceland i would stay at a more expensive hotel so you can get filled up and avoid having to eat out at least one time in the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family