“Great location, great staff, comfortable rooms, decent breakfast!”
Review of Hotel Fron

Hotel Fron
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed December 10, 2012

For my first visit to Reykjavik, I was looking for a decent B&B style hotel, centrally located and reasonably comfortable. Hotel Fron was all that, and a little bit more.

Positioned on Laugavegur, the bustling main shopping street in central Reykjavik, the Fron was just minutes walk from most of the major landmarks, like the Hallgrímskirkja and Cafe Loki just up the neighbouring street, or down the slight hill into the town centre, with Iceland Excursions about four minutes away as well as all the bigger bars and restaurants.

A few doors away was the excellent Lebowski Bar and a minute's further walk brought you to the slightly more pretentious Kaffi Barrin, so there were plenty of options for a drink or two right on your doorstep.

The room itself was a decent size - a proper powershower and bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space and a very comfortable bed. The only slight gripe was that I had to keep adjusting the blinds every day, as the cleaning staff kept re-setting them to make me very exposed to the adjacent shops and offices when changing!

The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful - Thor in particular.

The breakfast bar was well stocked - a typcial Continental buffet, with bread and a toaster, cheese and ham slices, cereals, yoghurts, fruit, teas and coffee and juices.

Overall, it was great value for money and I'd stay there again, when I return to Iceland.

Room Tip: I was in 220, which faced out onto Laugavegur itself - but I never heard a thing from the outside...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed 1 night at Hotel Fron. The room was standard and the location was great. The staff was exceptional. Hotel staff even helped call the person who found my lost passport! Needless to say I was relieved and was so grateful ! What a lasting impression this city (and hotel) made on me!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed in a studio apartment for 4 nights. The design and furniture is simple but dated. I'm glad we were not staying in the main building, but the next building behind as we did hear some faint noise at night. The toilet/water pumping system is quite noisy. The soundproofing is also not very good as we could hear our neighbours talking in the corridor, opening & closing of door etc. The studio apartment has a small kitchenette, with 2 electrical stove, 1 coffeemaker and 1 microwave oven. There's also a small frying pan and pot with lid, knife, fork, spoon, cutting board, fridge, salt and pepper. Very basic, but good enough for simple cooking. There are 2 Bonus and a 10-11 supermarket nearby. In the living/dining room, there's a sofa, TV and dining table. The shower area is quite small, not good for big-sized. The free WIFI is very unstable. Breakfast is breads, cereals, cold cuts, fruits, cheese etc. I hope they can include eggs,herring fish and skyr. Well, food is expensive in Reykjavik. I saw a queue to use the only bread toaster, luckily I don't toast my bread. The location is very good, near to attractions, supermarkets, Iceland Excursion bus terminal, shopping street, restaurants etc.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building facing the Laugavegur Street is very noisy at night. It is better to...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights mid week. Rooms are clean,comfortable and warm. Hotel is ideally situated for attractions and plenty of places to eat within a few minutes walk.
Breakfast simple, consisting of bread,meat and cereal.
Free wifi throughout hotel.
Had a hire car and found a parking space ok, although they only have maybe 10 spaces in total so in busier months may have been a problem.
Would have been 5* if it wasn't for the noisy club next door. Our room was overlooking the main street and was very noisy. Club music until 1 am.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked this as I was traveling alone and cost conscious. My expectations were exceeded. The room was simple but not with cheap furnishings - the furnishings were Scandanavian basic style, but were nicely made. The bed was a king single, there was a small TV on the wall opposite and there was a mini bar with reasonably priced snacks (e.g. 300 ISK for a bottle of water).
The bathroom was very new and very clean with a nice hot shower and a heated towel rail.
The reception staff were helpful calling tour agencies for me. Hotel Fron's location is terrific, right in the middle of the main shopping street. I had a room at the back of the hotel and didn't experience any noise, even on a Saturday night, which I had been worried about due to Reykjavik's party reputation.
I would definitely stay here again in Reykjavik.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just come back from a fabulously cold weekend trip to Reykjavik. Stayed at Hotel Fron. Absolutely fabulous place. Cannot fault the location of this hotel. Central to absolutely everything. The reception staff were faultless. Incredibly helpful and friendly. Rooms were brilliant. Our party of 6 were given the 5 person apartment and a separate twin room. The apartment was brilliant. A true home from home with everything you could need, while all the time remaining a part of the actual hotel.
The only let down, and it's a minor, is that breakfast is a bit of a bun fight. One toaster that seems to take an age to even brown remotely and the incredibly bossy staff. Now I appreciate that they have time limits and routines they must fulfill, however that does not excuse the way we were spoken to by one of them. Incredibly sharp to the point where we basically told we were in their way and we must leave the restaurant so that they could clean up. Breakfast finishes at 10 and it must have been just on the stroke of ten. We are not the sort of guests that linger annoyingly like some do, ensuring we grab every last second we feel we are "entitled" to, however after our dressing down (on our first full morning) we ensured we were out well before the required time.
Told you it was a minor niggle, as I can't think of anything else that lets this hotel down. But please invest in a second/quicker toaster.
Would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again. For price and convenience it's a winner.
We never saw the Northern Lights so WILL be back.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank luvorlando
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Reykjavik is not a cheap hotel town, and triples are hard to come by, but Hotel Fron offers a room that has two bedrooms with two double beds (singles pushed together) that is perfect for a family. My 15 year old son has outgrown the cots, sofas, and roll-aways that we inevitably have settled for when touring Europe. Two separate rooms would be prohibitive.The Fron's apartment has two bedrooms separated by a sitting room-kitchenette. The apartment sports 2 televisions, one in the master bedroom and one in the sitting area as well as a sink, a microwave, and small fridge in the kitchenette.
The Fron also offers a Scandanavian buffet breakfast with cereal, assorted breads, fruit, various juices, yogurt, cheese, and cold cuts--everything but hot items like eggs and bacon.
The Fron is extraordinarily clean and the front desk is very helpful. The location on the main shopping street and close to the city's best restaurants is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask about the apartments for families.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family