2,497 results
All reviewsthe main streetbreadscandinavian restaurantgreat locationyogurtcentral locationcold meatsstudio roomsmall kitchenettecooking facilitieshot waterkitchen areabreakfast staffsulphur smellbreakfast was includedmini barbonus supermarket
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way to Europe. It was perfect for what we were looking for. It's right in the middle of a popular street with a lot of restaurants, shops, and cafes. The hotel's location makes it very easy to walk to the harbor, the Opera house, and other Iceland sites. The Hotel is also part of the Flybus system that picks you up at the hotel and drops you off at the Airport (we also were dropped off at the Hotel straight from the Blue Lagoon).

The staff was also very helpful in recommending places to eat and where else to go. Overall it was a great stay, great location, and a great price.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is basic in most ways. Comfortable rooms & bathroom. Clean. Very convenient location. Good breakfast. The best thing though is how helpful the staff are at the desk. They will arrange alternate tours when yours is canceled, call for transportation, keep you informed, show you where things are, etc. I was very happy with the room, the service, etc. When I go back again, I will book my room here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back off the street are the best. I had one of those rooms but unfortunately my room was right by the main back door that people would slam day & night. You could also hear all the smokers out there day & night. My two windows were right by the parking lot & outdoor smoking area. Room number was 126.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CruellaDenver
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Fron for one night during our trip to Iceland. We had a double room that faced the inner courtyard area of the hotel. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Our room had a nice little kitchenette with a mini fridge, cooking supplies, utensils and dinnerware. There was even a little table for two. Another nice feature was the safe in the large closet. The bathroom was equipped with a hair dryer, there was plenty of hot water and the shower pressure was great.

The staff was very courteous and helpful with all of our needs. The breakfast was also nice with an assortment of breads, cold cuts, cereal, fruit and yogurt.

The location of the hotel is great. It is located on the main shopping street making stores, restaurants and bars easily accessible. We did not have any problems with noise as we stayed there on a Sunday night. If you aren't up for listening to party animals on Friday/Saturday nights, I would chose a hotel that is further away from the action because you won't be avoiding it by staying at another hotel on the same street. The old harbor area and the BSI bus terminal are all in close walking distance too.

Overall, we had a great stay at Hotel Fron and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Stephanie99
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed at Fron in February 2012. Asked for a room at the back of the hotel and got an upgraded room at the back, which was great.

People who worked at the hotel were very helpful providing info about iceland and were happy to help with booking trips, restaurant reservations etc.
Room was basic, pretty much what you pay for... hotel wasn't too expensive.
Breakfast was included, very basic, but all you needed to make sure you didn't start the day on an empty stomach. Breads, cheeses, ham, salami, jams, cookies, fruit, orange juice, coffee, tea, water... etc.
Location was great, never had to take a taxi, everything was withing walking distance. About 5 to 10 minutes to the nearest 24Hour supermarket, 10 to 15 minutes to the harbour and on the main shopping/dining street in Reykjavik. Plenty of restaurants nearby... some affordable ones too. Which is nice, since excursions tend to be pretty pricy.

We did a bunch of organized trips...

Blue Lagoon/Gulfoss/Geysir: Blue Lagoon was beautiful, but I wouldn't go again... 15 minutes in the lagoon was plenty for us... bit of a waste of time. Geysir was great, we watched it erupt like 8 times in 20 minutes.

Northern Lights trip: We didn't get to see the lights during our first trip... but were lucky enough to see them 2 days later. Such an amazing experience! I even managed to take some decent photos of the green lights with my 200 Euro camera without a tripod...

Whale safari: We spotted some dolphins about 100 metres away, but that was it. Was enough not to be able to come back and try again for free. A bit of a disappointment... the weather wasn't too bad, but the waves were huge and the was a lot of wind which made it extremely cold out at sea.

Glacier walk on the Sólheimajokull Glacier : Best experience ever! we didn't plan on doing this trip, but we didn't have any plans for our last day and this trip sounded amazing. We didn't bring hiking boots, but the glacier walk company was kind enough to provide shoes for us, free of charge.

All in all we had a great trip and a great stay at hotel Fron!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heidi85
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Arrived at the Hotel Fron at 8am, our room was available. We had a suite in the back (which others had recommended requesting and we just lucked into) which was clean, large by tourist standards and very quiet. The breakfast was cereal, breads, meats, cheeses and a bit more. The restaurant attached had good menu and food for dinner. The front desk staff was helpful and patient with all requests and concerns. And the location on the main shopping street was very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite in the back.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family