“Great place to stay in Reykjavik” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Fron
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great place to stay in Reykjavik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We all know the importance of location, location, location. This is a very nice hotel to stay because you can walk to almost any location in the central part of the city. We walked to major shopping locales and restaurants and to tours starting from the docks. It is a stop of Flybus and Reykjavik Excursions, which we used several times. The front desk is very helpful with general tourist information or will book a tour for you if you wish. I asked at the desk if they had a voltage convertor I could use and one was provided for me. I really have to give the front desk an excellent for service with a smile. They also stored our luggage for us in a secure storage room on the last day while we took in one more tour.

Breakfast is included in the stay, and my wife and I agreed that we had plenty to eat. Mind you it is cold cereal or hot oatmeal and yogurt, a variety of bread that can be toasted or eaten as is with a selection of jams, cheeses and meats. Coffee is hearty, and the orange juice is great. We saw a number of people packing lunches using the bread with cheese and meat.

The rooms are large by european standards, with plenty of room to stash luggage and clothes. They are not luxurious The beds were comfortable and were comprised of two singles that could be pushed together as a double bed. Our room had a desk and a sofa, and also a small kitchenette that we did not use, but I could see that if a traveler wanted to do Iceland on a budget that included preparing some of his/her own meals, the setup would be adequate as it included a small fridge and stove. The shower was clean and functional. The room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and the beds made up. I especially appreciated that everything was kept so clean.

The hotel draws a large variety of people from all over the world. Some are on tours and generally older while others are presumably exploring Iceland on their own and generally younger---all that makes for a very interesting mix of people to interact with.

Finally, as we returned from our tours and the tour bus was letting people off at the various hotels it became very apparent that the big name luxury hotels (chains) were located in the outskirts of the city. I am so happy we did not opt for one of those but chose the Hotel Fron instead.

Room Tip: Our friends had a "standard" room while we had the kitchenette. The layout of both was ve...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DocSpoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Cant fault anything here - bathroom was not beautiful but it all functioned. I keep forgetting north Americans are the only people that use facecloths to shower with! If you use one, bring it with you!

It was a fine place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012
Keene, New Hampshire, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Great place to stay while in Reykjavik. Walking distance from the nightlife and buses for tours/day trips.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Hotel Fron was kind enough to let me check in early - REALLY early! The single accommodations were cozy, but definitely enough for me! A clean bed, desk, fridge, and full private bathroom did the trick. The location couldn't be any better, as it's centrally located with shops and restaurants in every direction. If you are looking for a restful, country-side inn, this isn't the location for you. If you are without a car and/or looking for some fun in the evening, definitely stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

After reading other reviews, I picked Hotel Fron as our hotel for our recent stay in Reykjavik. We stayed for a week in a studio room. Booked with airfare in an Expedia package, I paid about $85 per night which was really reasonable. It is in a great location. Walking distance to everything. Good restaurants and live music nearby. The breakfast was basic: Coffee, juice, bread, meat cheese, jams, fruit and cereal. But it was included and it was perfect for us. The front desk was helpful. They booked our tours for us, even though we used a lesser known tour company I had also read about on Tripadvisor. (Iceland Guided Tours. They were awesome!!!) Some reviews had mentioned the loud music on the weekends that went on all night. I did hear some faint music on Friday and Saturday night, but it did not keep me up. I did have a studio towards the back of the hotel on the second floor however. The main noise came from construction on the next street which was being dug up and jack-hammered while we were there. But this was in the day time and we were not in our room most of the day. I am not sure when that project will be finished, but I thought I'd mention it for those who like to nap in the day time. Overall, I'd say it was a great place to stay, the location was excellent, I got a great deal on it and it was clean, roomy and comfortable.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 205 which was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I really can't fault this lovely little hotel. The room was clean, warm and comfortable with a safe, free wi-fi and fantastic bathroom. Service was absolutely brilliant, which is the Icelandic standard, the staff couldn't do enough to help anytime day or night and our maid not only cleaned and dressed the room but also folded the clothes I had left lying on the chair - and she seemed genuinely surprised when we left a tip! The location was great too, right in the heart of the city. I can't wait to go back to Iceland, and I'll definitely be staying here again. Minor gripes... the breakfast was ok but not to my taste and I would like an extra pillow, although I am sure if I asked I would have been given one.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rob P
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Right on the main shopping street, plenty of cafés and restaurants a few seconds away, a perfect location. The hotel is modern and clean, the tv was a bit rubbish (some stations didnt work or were blurry) but it is not a problem as you should be out all day seeing the sights. The breakfast was adequate but not amazing (no cooked food, just a toaster for something hot) and no pastries or croissants, just sliced bread. Also cereal, yogurt, jam, hams/salami, processed cheese, apples/bananas. We had a room for 3 (my son was on the sofa bed which was a bit squeaky) with a hob but no microwave. At 200 GBP for 4 nights for 3 people this hotel was fantastic value. The desk staff are very helpful. If you book a Northern Lights trip, be sure to check at the desk around 6pm to find out if it is cancelled (they dont generally operate if the weather is cloudy, which we were disappointed to find out).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family