TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Thank you for an amazing journey around Iceland!

I recently spent a week in Iceland coordinated by Lisa with Iceland Unlimited. It was the best trip... read more

Reviewed October 17, 2019
Darlene O
St. Thomas
Golden Circle Self Driven Trip

The trip was organized by Iceland Unlimited. It was a 8 nights and 9 days Self driven trip which... read more

Reviewed October 16, 2019
Amintus

Recommended experiences in and around Reykjavik
from $53.20
from $58.86
from $134.00
from $95.08
More Info
All reviews self drive ring road rental car detailed map local calls planning phase day trip road map driving trip daily itinerary south coast large map contact person comfort level highly recommend this company blue lagoon perfect trip
Selected filters
Reviewed July 4, 2018

When my fiancé and I decided to go to Iceland, I did A LOT of research about who to work with. While I'm a seasoned traveller, he was a little more wary about going on such a big trip, particularly as he's never travelled abroad. Iceland Unlimited continued showing up in my web searches, so we decided to contact them. Juliane responded immediately, answering all our questions, and we decided to book on the spot. We were torn between a few of their packages, but Juliane offered great advice on how to make the most of our trip and which package would encompass what WE wanted to do in Iceland. We ended up booking the 7-Day Guided Tour of Iceland, but Juliane patiently worked with us to add two days onto our trip so we could head out to the Snæfellsnes penninsula and have an additional free day in Reykjavík. She also arranged for us to head directly to the Blue Lagoon after landing in Iceland, which was fantastic for unwinding after a long night of flights. We had a lot of questions and requests, but she helped make our trip the best possible!

Every guided tour was professional with fantastic tour guides and drivers, and the scenery and experiences (caving, snorkeling, etc.) speak for themselves. Juliane was available every step of the way, and was already working to make rearrangements when we thought we might arrive a day late. We went with a "comfort" package, and the accommodations exceeded our expectations. As others have mentioned, Juliane also left an Icelandic cellphone at our hotel for us, along with a detailed itinerary and vouchers (though we never needed to show them--we were on the list for every tour).

Overall, we had an absolutely AMAZING experience, and we plan to go back. We'd definitely use Iceland Unlimited (and Juliane!) again.

2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed July 1, 2018

(Long review sorry, but I want to rave about my trip!) Fantastic company! I recently decided to travel for to Iceland for a week-long trip with my 3 children (a 13-year-old and two 11-year-olds). Given that I had never been there, that I would be the only adult (and driver), that they really haven't traveled outside the US, that I don't have much free time to plan a trip, and that we wanted to pack in a bunch of activities to make the most of our time, I decided to look for help in planning. I came across Iceland Unlimited on a web search and noticed that they had really great reviews. So I went for it!

The company replied to my email right away, and Auður became my contact. Throughout the few months before my trip, she was always very responsive, very resourceful, and, importantly, very reassuring in addressing all my concerns with traveling with my children.

Auður helped me to plan a 6-day south coast self-drive tour of Iceland. The car rental was taken care of -- it included a Car WiFi device, which was really great because I could use my cell phone without paying for international service. She booked all the hotel rooms, finding us rooms big enough for 4 people in every location (I chose mid-level accommodations, and all turned out to be great). And it was nice that all included buffet-style breakfasts, so it was one meal of the day I didn't have to worry about, logistically or financially (food in Iceland is very expensive!).

She also helped me to choose and book extra activities/tours, based on our itinerary and on the ages of the kids -- everything was booked and paid for through my total cost to Iceland Unlimited so it was very simple. The activities we chose included: a walking tour of Reykjavik, a cultural session on food/language/culture/history in Reykjavik (a really nice introduction to Iceland!), a tour in a lava tunnel, paragliding, hiking up a glacier, & a boat ride in a glacier lagoon. Amazing experiences. My children loved all of them.

Auður provided me with an itinerary in email which I printed (but upon arrival, the itinerary was printed and also everything was drawn out and highlighted on a large road map, which was really nice to have), filled with suggestions of driving routes and stops to make along the way for food and attractions. Transfer to/from the airport was arranged before we got there. The taxi driver was waiting for us right as we got through customs. Incidentally, the driver was the same in both directions and was very nice. He works closely with Iceland Unlimited.

Iceland Unlimited also provided us with an Icelandic cell phone, which was really nice to have. It made me feel more secure on the road with my kids, knowing I had at least one phone that would work in remote locations. It allowed me to call ahead to hotels to let them know we'd be checking in late sometimes. It also allowed Iceland Unlimited to reach me in case of a last minute schedule change. (Auður did call once just to check in on us, but I missed the call while out doing a tour.)

This trip was absolutely seamless, thanks to the help I received in planning/booking. I can't thank Auður and Iceland Unlimited enough for giving me and my children such an outstanding and memorable trip.

3  Thank 942erynl
Reviewed July 1, 2018

We, a six member family of older adults, took an 11 day guided tour. We had Geiri Johannsson, an experienced tour guide and driver with us for the entire time. Driving a "super jeep" (actually an extremely large Ford), he took us to all the hot spots from the west coast and the Snaefellsnes Peninsula through the Golden Circle, across the south coast to Jokulsarlon, inland to Thorsmork, to the Westman Islands, and to frequent thrilling off road adventures. Geiri was a fine story teller, an expert driver, and knowledgeable professional who was able to change plans quickly responding to our individual needs. We had been scheduled to drive into the Landamannalaugar area but changed plans in the morning due to heavy rain. Heading into Thorsmork, that day was better than we could have hoped. Geiri did a stellar job.

The itinerary and hotel reservations had been arranged earlier through agents at Iceland Unlimited. Two different agents helped us plan initially but Lisa Zacchia was the person who took over for us and completed our plans. She listened carefully to our requests, responded quickly to all our emails, met with us when we arrived in Reykjavik, and kept tabs on us as we traveled though this magnificent country. The hotels at each stop, while not the most expensive, were quiet, clean, and well situated, She met our needs perfectly! Lisa did an outstanding job.

The weather in Iceland while we were there, June 16-27, offered us a range of precipitation and occasional sun and clouds. At no time did we slow down; plans and our guide were flexible enough to keep us walking, hiking, driving, sightseeing, and eating. Oh, the food is good!

I give my unconditional recommendation to Iceland Unlimited, Geiri Johannsson and Lisa Zacchia. If you are able to use these individuals on a professional basis your trip will be magical.

2  Thank jmlcommito
Reviewed June 26, 2018

Giving Iceland Unlimited (IU) five stars seems unfair - the company and our representative, Giulia, were phenomenal and deserving of at least ten stars! We decided to look into an Iceland trip rather late in the game, knowing it could be tough to secure lodging in June given Iceland's rapidly growing popularity. We sent out feelers to several companies and Giulia from Iceland Unlimited promptly responded. She assured us that though the clock was ticking, she could still arrange lodging for us. From then on, the service provided by IU was exceptional. We reviewed what we wanted to see and do and Giulia put together a terrific 14 day self drive of the Ring Road and the Westfjords. We could not have been happier with the lodging she arranged (comfort level), the pacing she established for us in our trip, and the four tours we did (glacier walk, puffin tour, zodiac lagoon tour and an ice cave). When we arrived we met with her at her office and she gave us a big map with our route highlighted, along with highlighting our lodging and points of interest. Although I had done something similar, the map she provided was our "go to" map and an invaluable asset. The company also provided a personalized daily suggested itinerary, complete with GPS coords for our lodging. We appreciated being loaned a phone with minutes on it as there were a couple of times we needed to call our lodging about a later than planned arrival (so much to see and do)! Giulia checked in with us via email several tims during the trip, just to be sure all was going well. Every aspect of the trip ran like clockwork - from our pick up at the airport to our delivery (sadly) back to the airport. Due to Giulia's superb organization the trip was glitch free and we had a fabulous time. It was totally stress and worry free, allowing us to spend all our energy on enjoying every minute of this amazing country. She even managed to arrange phenomenal weather! We travel a great deal and have used many tour/travel operators and Iceland Unlimited and Giulia are the best we have ever experienced. We recommend this company 100%!!

2  Thank Jann01
Reviewed June 23, 2018

We had a great time in Iceland. We saw so many beautiful sites and made some many memories along the way that it is hard to write them all down. We completed a 14 day trio around Iceland Iceland Unlimited did a great job guide us along in the planning process that it made the trip easy and we had more time to have fun and less time worry about what was next. Agnes did a great job listening to want to do and making suggesting on how to accomplished that. She was very patient answering our questions and making the changes we thought of. She selected a wide varity of accommadations. I would recommend using Iceland Unlimited to assist you in planning your trip to Iceland.

Date of experience: May 2018