Review Highlights
Culture and Craft 4 day workshop

4 days spent with Ragga Jóhannsdóttir - an experience I will never forget. Learned a lot re... read more

Reviewed September 16, 2019
AMLDownunder
Knitting with Ragga was fun and educational!

A friend and I had such a good time with Ragga at our knitting lesson in June 2019.  She is very... read more

Reviewed July 29, 2019
Laurie R
Napa, California

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Reykjavik
from $24.15
from $204.11
from $59.76
More Info
All reviews workshop teacher techniques lesson sweater knitting information sights
Selected filters
Reviewed June 13, 2015

I took the Esja Travel knitting tour with Ragga and it was absolutely fabulous. Traveled solo and met new knitting friends through her terrific workshop and tour. The tour was 7 days and Ragga was the most gracious and knowledgeable tour guide one could possibly imagine. She was organized and interesting. As a tour guide she is dynamic and very interesting. She was eager to share her country's history and answered all our questions even though some may have been considered personal or even silly. Her knowledge of Icelandic knitting and handwork is incredible. I wished I could download all her wealth of information to bring back with me. We didn't just knit - but saw sights that I know I couldn't or wouldn't have seen had it not been included in this great tour. I stayed a few days after the tour and took another tour and realized how fabulously she and Esja Travel had planned this tour. The first day we visited the Icelandic Hand Knitters Association to pick up our choice of wool and pattern for the week, visited a living history museum with a planned tour focused on how Icelander's lived and used fiber 150 years ago, took our private van (very comfortable with a great driver) to the Parliament heritage site and the North American and European tectonic plate rift (a must see in Iceland), spent a lovely hour at the Fontana spa (natural hot springs), had lunch in a lovely local restraint, saw a geyser and fabulous waterfall, visited a tomato greenhouse, drove through wonderful countryside and reached our basecamp destination at the fabulous Hotel Fljotshlid. Not to be enough for one day we started our swatch and planned our project. And all the days were like this! I consider myself an intermediate knitter and am inspired to knit more and improve! Icelandic wool is wonderful to work with and we got to see from lamb to sweater in our adventures in Iceland! I can't wait to go back and visit another Ragga workshop! This lovely woman could not be out down by anyone!

Date of experience: June 2015
3  Thank Megan S
353ragga, Manager at Culture and Crafts-Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2015

Thank you Megan and I´m looking forward seeing you again later this year.

Reviewed April 2, 2015

My daughter and I spent four days on a knitting holiday with Ragga and we simply had the best time ever. Saw some wonderful parts of Iceland we'd never have reached otherwise, met some lovely people, and over and above all, we really enjoyed being with Ragga learning new techniques and knitting to our hearts content. Would absolutely recommend this to like-minded folk!

Date of experience: February 2015
1  Thank Helen K

Thank you and best wishes to your daughter.

Reviewed March 13, 2015

This was one of my favorite days on my trip to Iceland. I am not experienced knitter and Ragga made it so easy. It was a great experience.

Date of experience: March 2015
1  Thank Explorer_Michigan

Thank you for coming to my knitting workshop.

Reviewed February 24, 2015

What an amazing experience! I spent a few hours knitting and chatting with a charming woman with a wealth of knowledge. She helped me to remember the knit and purl as well as discuss the properties of Icelandic wool. Ragga broke down the knitting steps into easy to remember tools and helped me chose a project for my abilities. I started making some arm warmers and learned a thing or two! I felt welcomed and enjoyed discussing Icelandic culture as well as working with my hands on a new project. Knitting class was followed by a wonderful lunch at a nearby cafe. Thank you, Ragga!

Date of experience: January 2015
1  Thank Steph G

Thank you for coming to my knitting workshop.

Reviewed February 24, 2015

I spent four days with Ragga on a knitting tour of Western Iceland arranged in conjunction with Esja travel. Unlike your previous reviewers I am NOT a very experienced knitter and am very slow but I love knitting and wanted to improve on my skills. The other four women on the tour were way ahead of me but Ragga made sure I was never left out and chose suitable smaller projects and things to try, including the continental yarn in left hand style of knitting and a beginners pattern for learning lace work and using hand dyed local lace weight wool. I ABSOLUTELY loved this tour. There were so many eventful visits made in glorious countryside. A goat farm where the owner is single handedly saving the Icelandic goat from extinction; a sheep farm; a 3 hr workshop with an expert in experimenting with using Icelandic plants in dyeing einband yarns; a visit from a spinster; a local cooperative showroom organised by local handcrafters; and much much more. We stayed right on the waters edge in Borganes in the Borgarnes Bed and Breakfast (a real home from home) . I came away feeling very inspired by all the people I met and with a debt of gratitude to Ragga who gave me so much time and attention and motivated me to do more.

Date of experience: February 2015
3  Thank jdaydreams

Thank you for your visit and I hope to see you soon.