“Trip of a lifetime!”

Culture and Crafts-Day Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Culture and Craft is a company that works with people who are interested in increasing their knowledge of knitting, and aimed at everyone from beginners to more advanced knitters. Participants learn about Icelandic wool and the culture that has developed since the time of the settlement. Culture and Craft workshops and courses are run by Ragnheiður Jóhannsdóttir, a skilled educator with over 40 years’ knitting experience. She offers 3 hour knitting workshops, walking tours and longer knitting courses for up to 7 days, all of which are conducted in English and for a maximum group size of 12 people.Find more information and booking on our website.
Reviewed June 16, 2015 via mobile

I travelled to Iceland on a 7 day knitting tour arranged though Esja Travel. It was by far beyond my wildest dreams. Ragga is a generous, patient, gifted knitter who extols the great virtues of Icelandic wool and knitting. She answered all our questions and generously gave us so much of her wisdom...she is so inspiring. On top of that she is a wonderful guide and has a delightful sense of humor.
Frankly, much of the time those of us on the tour were pinching ourselves to make sure this was all real!
We toured many of the sites generally known as the circle tour on our first day ending up at Hotel Fljotshlid for 5 days. It was the perfect place to knit, eat, knit, laugh, knit, tour the area (waterfalls, glaciers, the Saga Museum where we all had a chance to put some stitches In the Saga tapestry!) and just learn so much.
Our trip culminated at the Alafoss store on our way back to Reykjavik....and knitters nirvana!
I highly recommend taking a class or a tour from Ragga. She has made great connections through the country that appeal to fiber enthusiasts.
I hope to return someday for another tour with Ragga and Esja Travel. I learned so much about Iceland, saw many beautiful sites and can't wait to continue to increase my skills and knowledge of knitting and Iceland.

1  Thank M0per
353ragga, Manager at Culture and Crafts-Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2015

Thank you so much and I´m glad that you enjoyed hour trip. Hope to see you again.

All reviews
"instructor"
"instructions"
"highlights"

Reviewed June 13, 2015

I took the Esja Travel knitting tour with Ragga and it was absolutely fabulous. Traveled solo and met new knitting friends through her terrific workshop and tour. The tour was 7 days and Ragga was the most gracious and knowledgeable tour guide one could possibly imagine. She was organized and interesting. As a tour guide she is dynamic and very interesting. She was eager to share her country's history and answered all our questions even though some may have been considered personal or even silly. Her knowledge of Icelandic knitting and handwork is incredible. I wished I could download all her wealth of information to bring back with me. We didn't just knit - but saw sights that I know I couldn't or wouldn't have seen had it not been included in this great tour. I stayed a few days after the tour and took another tour and realized how fabulously she and Esja Travel had planned this tour. The first day we visited the Icelandic Hand Knitters Association to pick up our choice of wool and pattern for the week, visited a living history museum with a planned tour focused on how Icelander's lived and used fiber 150 years ago, took our private van (very comfortable with a great driver) to the Parliament heritage site and the North American and European tectonic plate rift (a must see in Iceland), spent a lovely hour at the Fontana spa (natural hot springs), had lunch in a lovely local restraint, saw a geyser and fabulous waterfall, visited a tomato greenhouse, drove through wonderful countryside and reached our basecamp destination at the fabulous Hotel Fljotshlid. Not to be enough for one day we started our swatch and planned our project. And all the days were like this! I consider myself an intermediate knitter and am inspired to knit more and improve! Icelandic wool is wonderful to work with and we got to see from lamb to sweater in our adventures in Iceland! I can't wait to go back and visit another Ragga workshop! This lovely woman could not be out down by anyone!

3  Thank Megan S

Thank you Megan and I´m looking forward seeing you again later this year.

Reviewed April 2, 2015

My daughter and I spent four days on a knitting holiday with Ragga and we simply had the best time ever. Saw some wonderful parts of Iceland we'd never have reached otherwise, met some lovely people, and over and above all, we really enjoyed being with Ragga learning new techniques and knitting to our hearts content. Would absolutely recommend this to like-minded folk!

1  Thank Helen K

Thank you and best wishes to your daughter.

Reviewed March 13, 2015

This was one of my favorite days on my trip to Iceland. I am not experienced knitter and Ragga made it so easy. It was a great experience.

1  Thank Explorer_Michigan

Thank you for coming to my knitting workshop.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 24, 2015

What an amazing experience! I spent a few hours knitting and chatting with a charming woman with a wealth of knowledge. She helped me to remember the knit and purl as well as discuss the properties of Icelandic wool. Ragga broke down the knitting steps into easy to remember tools and helped me chose a project for my abilities. I started making some arm warmers and learned a thing or two! I felt welcomed and enjoyed discussing Icelandic culture as well as working with my hands on a new project. Knitting class was followed by a wonderful lunch at a nearby cafe. Thank you, Ragga!

1  Thank Steph G

Thank you for coming to my knitting workshop.