“An all-day lesson in Icelandic knitting”

Culture and Crafts-Day Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Culture and Craft is a company that works with people who are interested in increasing their knowledge of knitting, and aimed at everyone from beginners to more advanced knitters. Participants learn about Icelandic wool and the culture that has developed since the time of the settlement. Culture and Craft workshops and courses are run by Ragnheiður Jóhannsdóttir, a skilled educator with over 40 years’ knitting experience. She offers 3 hour knitting workshops, walking tours and longer knitting courses for up to 7 days, all of which are conducted in English and for a maximum group size of 12 people.Find more information and booking on our website.
Reviewed January 24, 2015

I arrived as a seasoned knitter eager to make a traditional Icelandic sweater (lopapeysa), but with some holes in my experience. I’d never worked with multiple colors and was new to the continental method. Ragga taught me a new way to cast on, much faster and nicer than my old way. She helped work out some snags in my technique and soon had me knitting with 2 colors and understanding how to use more if needed. By the end of the day we had completed enough of the yoke portion to confirm that I could read the pattern and perform all the required stitches. Along the way she discussed Icelandic lopi and what sets it apart from other wool and we had time to explore lots of non-knitting topics as well. All in all it was a very successful and enjoyable day. I came home with yarn for my first lopapeysa, the confidence to make the attempt, and lots of enthusiasm.

3  Thank Pat B
353ragga, Owner at Culture and Crafts-Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2015

Thank you Pat for your comments. You are a unique woman who has ambition to expand your knowledge of knitting. It was a great day we had together in Borgarnes. Good luck in the knitting in the future.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"sheep"
"instructions"

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent the morning with Ragga doing a knitting course and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought of myself as an average knitter but Ragga showed me a completely different way to knit and I'm not going back to my old ways. The course was excellent value for money as I was a private class, only Ragga and Me. I came away with an almost complete headband and enough wool to knit another. Ragga was so patient and it was so easy to follow her instructions and she was so easy to hat to. If I ever make it back to Iceland, and I hope to some day, then I will be booking another knitting course with her, a lovely morning spent with a lovely Lady. Thanks Ragga

8  Thank JoanM2013
353ragga, Owner at Culture and Crafts-Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2015

Thank you Joan. I´m looking forward seeing you in your next trip. Now I´m working on a 1 day Workshop - knitting 9-5. The information will soon be on my homepage. Thank you again and hope to see you in the near future.