“Very nice atmosphere and tasty food”

Old Iceland Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 483 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant with icelandic home cooking. Our speciality is on seafood and icelandic lamb. We also offer a choice of three or a five course set menu OPENING HOURS: Sunday - Wednesday 11:30-15:30 / 17:00-22:00 Thursday - Saturday 11:30-15:30 / 17:00-23:00
Sverige
“Very nice atmosphere and tasty food”
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

This is my favourite place in Reykjavik! I enjoyed the good food (mashed fish) and the atmosphere is very much relaxed and friendly. The menue is not very long but there were a lot of things that I wanted to try. To sum up, I need to come back.

1 Thank Mrdotrip

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely little cafe with friendly hostess”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

On the main shopping street is a little gem of a place. My husband and I went here for a quick lunch on Sunday. He had soup and beer and I had a ham and cheese toasty with a coca cola light. They have free wifi with a password. As Brits we were a bit embarrassed by the horrible American ladies who walked in at 1.30pm on 3rd August looked at the menu and then asked if there was a Starbucks near by! How rude! It was a lovely cafe! I liked the little stone people about the place.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank IssieBee
“Charming and intimate”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This restaurant is small, but not crowded.One of the owners, Alda, served us. She was very pleasant and took the time to explain the menu to us. I had a very good meat soup (lamb). My wife had mashed fish, which was much tastier than it sounds. It consisted of mashed potatoes, cod, melted cheese, and light seasoning. It was delicious.Both meals were accompanied by fresh baked bread.

We came across Gamla/Old Island while shopping downtown. It is honestly worth going out of your way for.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Traditional Icelandic food, relaxed surroundings, great value”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Whilst high quality food is not hard to find in Reykjavik, finding it at a reasonable price is more difficult. Step forward Gamla. Located at the far end of the main shopping street, it's a short stroll from the central part of town and is a small and homely place with a traditional feel and a really friendly hostess, who I assume is the owner / proprietor. The menu is refreshingly simple and made up of variations on fish and meat - stew, soup and sandwiches. Between us we had the "Fish Mash" (eats as it sounds) and the Icelandic platter (including the Fish Mash, Smoked Salmon and some local delicacies - including horse) -all were freshly cooked and really tasty. For desert we had the "Marital Bliss" which was an Icelandic version of a flapjack and the Pancake (with cream and rhubard jam) again home cooked and delighful. In comparison to elsewhere in the city, Gamla is incredibly good value and a fraction of the price of similar establishments. I'd highly recommend it if you want somewhere relaxed, homely and also kid friendly

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“"Cozy, clean, and delicious food"”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I love traditional "Grandma-style" Icelandic food ...everything on offer here is at a good price (cheap for Reykjavik) and the service is very personable..I had the meatsoup and bread which was amazing..you should come here after a long day of sight-seeing and leave room for dessert!