“The heart & soul of Reykjavik!!!”

Old Iceland Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 502 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant with icelandic home cooking. Our speciality is on seafood and icelandic lamb. We also offer a choice of three or a five course set menu OPENING HOURS: Sunday - Wednesday 11:30-15:30 / 17:00-22:00 Thursday - Saturday 11:30-15:30 / 17:00-23:00
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife & I visited Reykjavik in July. We found this restaurant on our first day while walking thru city center. I have gluten sensitivity and wanted something sweet & savory, so we decided to walk in ask. The restaurant was instantly warm and inviting and the owners instantly amplified that feeling. The lovely ladies went to the kitchen and whipped me up a batch of gluten free pancakes with whipped cream and sweet rhubarb jam. My wife and I ended up going back almost daily for dessert and friendly local company. The day we left we stopped by to say goodbye they even gave me on the house two huge servings of gluten free coconut chocolate cake to take back to New York. Thank you again ladies, we will always remember the hospitality. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Reykjavik.

2  Thank Arie B

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Fish soup was delicious. Pancakes equally delicious. Good coffee. The owner was such a pleasant and friendly woman that we went out of our way to go back a second time.

1  Thank Jane K
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This cozy café offers freshly-made traditional Icelandic food and a warm welcome in a comfortable setting -- and if I'd had my way, we would have eaten there every day of our stay in Reykjavik! It was the only place we ate in more than once -- three times, in fact -- and each time, it was like visiting a friend's home.

That's the aim of the two owners, Guðrún and Alda. We didn't meet Alda during our visits, but Guðrún provided us each time with delicious comfort food, from lamb soup, creamy fish soup, a hearty chicken sandwich on homemade wheatgerm bread, and open-faced sandwiches (smoked salmon and smoked lamb) to "Marital Bliss" (Icelandic oat and jam cake -- hjónabandssaela), cream cake, and an amazing brownie made with dates, among other things.

Beverages include smoothies, coffee drinks (Chaqwa dark roast coffee), hot chocolate, teas, beers from Einstök Brewery in Akureyri, red and white wine, and liqueurs and spirits.

The cafe has a large map of Iceland on a back wall, surrounded by delightful drawings done by children while they and their parents were at the cafe, another thoughtful gesture at Gamla/Old Island.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank LocalFoodLoverNW
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Great place for real local breakfast. Skip Cafe de Paris etc. go here. Friendly lady makes tradition Icelandic bread and salmon or pancake with clotted cream and great coffee.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were drawn into this delightful restaurant by the appetizing aroma wafting out the front door. The fish soup was perfect -- creamy and satisfying. Also loved the dessert of pancake with cream and rhubarb jam. Even better was the cozy, warm atmosphere. Highly recommended for a simple, homey meal.