“Awesome Guides”

Iceland Offroad - Private Tours
Ranked #88 of 360 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Iceland off road, 4x4 offroad tours, Private tours, Hiking, Caving and all round out doors and activity tours.
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stefan and team are very friendly and they truly know their job well.

Bigg was very determined (& humourous) to drive us around to catch the Northern Lights despite the cloudy conditions spread over the skies.

Aside being the founder of the Company, Stefan has been promptly replying our queries via email and keeping the Northern Lights status up to date to the guides and us. He personally has brought us to the lava cave and patiently explained to us the formation of the caves etc.

You wont regret choosing Iceland Offroad as your tour partners!

Stefan4x4, Owner at Iceland Offroad - Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I used Iceland Offroad for the Golden Circle tour. The guide was very nice and fairly informative. We lucked out with a beautiful day, so the countryside scenery was superb. The first stop at the National Park Þingvellir was well worth it for the scenery and history. The Geyser was ok, full of tourist buses (note they charge a samll admission fee not covered in the tour cost ,which it should be in my opinion). The Gullfoss Waterfall was beautiful and worth the stop. We also stopped at a local tomato farm on the way back, which was quite nice.

Overall a worthwhile day tour, but if I went back, I would consider renting a car and making the drive myself. Also, no offroading in this tour.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you so very much for the good review. I would like to point out however that nowhere in the tour description on the Golden circle tour is there any mention of any off road driving. The Golden Circle tour is a tour of some of Iceland's most famous sites and they are accessible by good roads.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

while planning our trip was not solely to see the northern lights it sure was the reason why i started planning it! So choosing how we were going to see them became a big decision. I knew i wanted to increase my chances of seeing them and that that was more likely going to happen not on a huge coach bus (now saying this i am sure we would have seen them either way that evening because they were so awesome! and since i have never been on a coach bus tour i don't want to imply they are not good too). I read review after review and compared every price and iceland offroad came out on top! Well they did not disappoint. our driver (i wish i could both spell/fully remember his name) was awesome. Answered all our questions and even talked with my husband about the old sagas. He was great with helping me with my camera and when my tripod broke he leant me his! I loved that there was only 4 of us in the jeep (another couple that actually only lived an hour away from us back home!) and it wasn't over run by huge crowds. Though the prices was steep (as are all tours in iceland) i would highly suggest spending the extra money and going with this company!

1  Thank krysta_leeann

Reviewed April 1, 2014

26.3.14 What a great experience! Me and my girlfriend went to explore Leidarendi (end of the road) cave. On that day the rain was torrential but undeterred we carried on. We were underground for around 2 hours, and it is quite tight at places, but that makes it all the better.By the end we were soaked through but the amount of rain that day had been exceptional. Our guide was fantastic and helped make the trip as good as it was! Great GUY! Make sure you book with this company, we went early before anyone else and others take large groups of people where as it was just us and one other couple. My favorite part of our time in Iceland!!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My brother and I decided to splurge a little and go with a smaller group tour to see the Northern Lights rather than take one of those larger coach tours. We’re both glad we did. From the beginning, Iceland Offroad Tours was very attentive to our needs. Making our reservation was very easy and Stefan was very quick to respond to my many questions via e-mail.

We booked our tour for a Tuesday night but, due to poor weather conditions, our trip was postponed. Stefan e-mailed me in the afternoon about the cancellation and said he would let us know if Wednesday night would be any better. Wednesday night came around and there were still too many clouds in the sky so the trip was postponed once again - Stefan thought there might be a slight chance for activity but didn't want to get everyone's hopes up. Finally, on Thursday, we were met outside our guesthouse by our guide, Birger, who got us settled in an SUV with huge tires and off we went.

There were four other people on our tour. Together, Birger took us southeast of Reykjavik to some quiet beach off the main road (the off-road driving was quite an experience). Birger was very helpful throughout the night, keeping a constant lookout for activity in the sky both with his eyes and through lots of apps on his phone. He also kept in contact with Stefan who was also watching the skies via his computer back at the office. After trying a few spots out, we settled on one location, parked, and waited. We would sit in the vehicle for a good portion of the evening to keep warm but did go outside to set up cameras (bring a tripod!) and take photos. Birger was very helpful assisting everyone with their camera settings and explaining what the northern lights are. By about 10:00, we could see some faint lights in the sky. For the next two and a half hours, they would come and go, sometimes fainter, sometimes stronger.

Overall, I was very impressed with Iceland Offroad Tours. The staff was great to communicate with and the experience was unforgettable.