Review Highlights
Amazing Experience on the Reykjavik Walking Tour!!! BOOK NOW!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
megangiroux94
Calgary, Canada
via mobile
Highlight of our trip

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Jeffery K
via mobile

All reviews secret lagoon beef carpaccio gourmet walking tour gourmet food tour fermented shark golden circle private tour dairy farm tomato soup incredible guide aurora borealis icelandic culture visit iceland tomato farm beautiful country geothermal pool skyr
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We've just come back from our first trip to Iceland and we are completely in love with the country. We hope to be back very soon to see the other exciting things Ýmir is working on! But out of everything we did while in Iceland, this 'Reykjavik Walk - Gourmet Food Tour' was at the top of my list to recommend to you while you are in the city. Ýmir is amazing and you can tell that he is truly passionate about what he is doing, he makes you feel like a friend within minutes of meeting him. He is very socialable and can talk to you about anything at all, my favorite kind of person. :) He can also answer any of your questions about Iceland and its history and culture and he is full of stories about living there. The food was all amazing! You can't go wrong on this tour, trust me. I am not a lover of seafood normally and even I loved all the food, including the seafood. We left at the end feeling very full and a little drunk as well, there are plenty of drinks along the way. All the food and drinks are thoughtfully paired, and delicious. The groups are small and intimate which I think is very important.
Ýmir didn't just show us food (although there was quite a lot of it), he also showed us a book store and a local Icelandic author who writes funny comics. We ended up going back and buying a book, we couldn't resist. He also showed us the old jail house, walked us past Harpa, and showed us the houses of parliament among many other things. He showed us lots of hidden gems and nice bars frequented by the locals, as well as more popular places. He also gave us tons of recommendations for things to do around the island on our road trip after we left Reykjavik which were all amazing! I really cannot say enough good things about Ýmir and his business. After spending our first night with Ýmir, we were on our own the second day, and after that full day of being out in Reykjavik and eating out I can confidently say that I don't think you could get all of the food and drink on this tour on your own, for the same price. I think you would end up paying the same, if not more, and with Ýmir you get to make a new friend and you get some local perspective. If the cost of this tour is holding you back in any way, trust me, it is worth it. It is an amazing value.

Ýmir, thank you so much for spending your evening with us, and thank you for making us a reservation for the following night and letting them know about James' birthday and our anniversary we were celebrating. They took such good care of us that night, just as you did the night before! We wish you all the best and hope to see you again soon!

Takk Ýmir!

Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

TAKK for the beautiful words - my happy fun loving couple ! :) - Was an absolute pleasure to enjoy "meeting and feeding" the two of you :P

Knowing about your concern for seafood I truly enjoyed watching you go "all in" with the smoked shrimp and the mussels that were cooked in locally brewed beer... I think also that maybe my "cunning plan" with the beer-pairing with the seafood had something to do with helping you to get out of your comfort zone

I am very happy that you did address the cost - because truth is - my / our tours do cost a lot of money BUT the value for money is all there ! ... You are also spot on - If you were to cover all the same drinks and food items we serve on our tours yourself - you would end up paying the same as the tour actually does cost - This really means that you get your Gourmet Guide "for free" to go with the delicacies ! :)

Wishing both of you continues LUCK & LOVE "in this thing called life" <3

ps Love that you went for that crazy dark humour comic book ! :P

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

From the moment I saw Ýmir’s jovial grin I knew we were in for a treat. I am a man who loves grub, brew, and delightful conversation. My wife and I can hardly express how genuinely joyful and insightful a time was had. My belly wiggled and my jaw giggled! For the love of Thor, Odin, and the sweet baby Jesus take full advantage of this extraordinary experience.

2  Thank Jeffery K
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank YOU for the wonderful words - You just painted a permanent BIG smile on my face !!! :) - I am extra happy with the fact that you guys did it ALL :) ... including the various local beer tasting (despite your better half not being a big fan of beers), ALL the different food tastings including the fresh sashimi & seafood tasting ! ... I guess the lamb, street food and the red wine tasting with the truffle chocolate was a "walk in the park" anyway... It always is ;)
LUV to you guys from your NIceland friend and food lover !
Ýmir

Reviewed September 8, 2018

Such an amazing day! The best tour I have ever been a part of! Our group of 5 friends went with Ymir on his private Golden Circle tour, and he and Hebba were the ultimate hosts. If you want a crowded bus, strict schedule, and no food or drink- this is NOT the tour for you. If you want the complete opposite- a personalized and private tour, great transportation, a schedule where you can spend as much/little time as you want on each stop, and incredible food and drink all along the way throughout the day- then book this tour without hesitation. Ymir was a wonderful guide, as noted in other reviews, and provided a great history of Niceland throughout the day. He personally knows the owners/operators of several stops which ensures VIP treatment. The food was truly wonderful throughout the day, from the morning snacks as soon as the tour started (Hebba- we still need to get that avocado spread recipe), all the way through the fresh beef carpaccio on the farm towards the end of the day. Thank you again to Ymir and Hebba! I truly feel like we've gained two fantastic friends in Niceland!

2  Thank Howard S
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2018

Thank YOU guys for an amazing day !!! ... Always such a great pleasure to share moments in life with fellow FUN loving foodies ! :) <3

Hebba can give you the recipe personally in May when we pop up in that famous wine & food event in California ! ;)

Until then - we wish you and the ladies / girls nothing but LUCK & LOVE in "this thing called life" ! <3

LUV Ýmir & Hebba

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Having read the other reviews nothing more needs to be said - this was an amazing day and is going to be difficult to beat. We were treated as friends and VIPs, what a skill. If you have access to UK TV then watch Rick Stein's long weekend in Rekjavik for a preview. Not cheap but very good value.

1  Thank Pharmden
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

TAKK for the review :) <3

It sure was a beautiful day with beautiful people. You are spot on with the price and as one fellow foodie once put it when describing my tours : "They sure cost a lot of money but they are not expensive" :)

Wishing the two of you nothing but LUCK & LOVE in "this thing called life"

ps I am still amazed with the coincidence of you staying in the lodge where I met the head of Ásatrú (Norse Mythology) who influenced my wedding... in a veryyyy positive way - Skál ! ;)

Reviewed July 31, 2018

My husband and I spent our last hours in Iceland with Ýmir, and we wouldn't've had it any other way. Ýmir is very good at reading people and easy to be with. He has terrific connections, good ideas about food and drink, and a warm personality

We made six stops for food, beverages or food/beverages. We were able to try tasting portions of a lot of special foods that would have cost us a fortune to order as a small plate in a restaurant, if we tried it at all. Everything was an easy walk, and we were the only tourists in most of the places. The beers, wines, and other liquors were top notch and interesting in a good way; everything I tried that pushed my comfort level was a success; everything I tried that I had prior experience with was a beautiful bite (or bites!) of food; and Ýmir felt like a friend. He's a great conversationalist, passionate and knowledgable about Iceland, a good storyteller, and just plain old fun.

This was our first time doing a private tour and it will be hard to travel without doing it in each place we go. I worry, though, that no one will be able to top the experience with Ýmir. We tried to convince him to come to Cleveland so we could share our special places with him, too... That's a harder sell. :)

You could do this with kids--he tailors to the guests.

1  Thank Jan M
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Cleveland here I come !!! :) - TAKK for the beautiful words and review ! <3

The fantastic two of you sure made "the feeder" happy ;) - Very happy also to see that you liked my "pimped up new version" of Reykjavik Gourmet Walking tour :P

Until we meet in Cleveland ! - ... wishing you both nothing but LUCK & LOVE (and a LOT of gourmet food & drinks of course !) in "this thing called life" <3

Reviewed July 29, 2018

Ýmir invited us for a rough preview of his upcoming gourmet walking tour in June that may as of this writing already be offered. We were very honoured to be part of this preview of his work in progress. To keep things under wraps as it was still in the experimental stage, I will post a few photos of what to expect (and there’s a lot more that was not unveiled to us so you’ll have to ask or better yet take his tour!) I won’t add any locations or names of the places we went but they are in the heart of Reykjavik and they are local and well established restaurants. I’m sure some will probably recognize the places and dishes anyway.

We started at a brewery along the harbour where we Icelandic shrimp as finger food and a serving of salad with smoked goose along with a flight of beer with 3 selections. Then to a restaurant a few blocks away for what is probably one of the best soups I’ve ever tasted and I’m not a soup person. Rock crab soup with a lot of shrimp and crab meat and probably one of the best tasting broths I’ve ever encountered. Then it was on to a sushi restaurant that opened in a new locationrecently to sample Iceland’s take on sushi. First was Icelandic scallop (hotate) sashimi. Sweet and clean tasting and definitely underrated. Added a Spanish white wine to go with that and it went very well with the scallop. Next came salmon tartare using probably the best tasting salmon out there and mixed with a little sesame oil, then it was followed by a sesame crusted tuna tataki with a sesame sauce. The sesame sauce is great but may kill the taste of the tuna so perhaps an acidic sauce like ponzu would work. Then finally a local favourite which is an inside-out roll with surimi (yes imitation crab), spring onions, then deep fried briefly and topped with kewpie mayo, a spicy sriracha sauce and a hoisin style sauce on top. Gourmet? Maybe, as this is a take on the ubiquitous California roll - which isn’t authentic Japanese to start with, but keep in mind it’s what locals order, like and love and knowing Ýmir and his reputation, he wants to share what Icelandic food is about. Coming from myself, a Japanese Canadian living in Vancouver where sushi is king, one can be critical of this one, but if this is what the locals want to eat and makes them happy, then it should be embraced.

We were getting full at this point and we had to cut it short and end due to the Iceland vs Nigeria World Cup match which we all wanted to watch, but Ýmir had more things to come that we couldn’t get to but all in all whatever he does you know he has the passion and drive to make it memorable. If this is what is being tested so far, I can’t wait to see or even taste the finished product. Keep up the good work Ýmir!

Mark and Vicky

2  Thank Rattlehead74

MY favourite fellow FOODIE experts !

TAKK for the review and the beautiful words <3 - As you truly count as professional food - travellers I am so honoured that you liked my trial tour ! ... I am happy to tell you that next time you come to NIceland I have more gourmet findings to share with you on my Reykjavik Gourmet Tour - including and amongst others : Langoustine tasting covered in butter and garlic + selected street food tasting + Gin & Tonic tasting + Red wine tasting with a local cheese plate and truffle chocolate.... and the list goes on ... ;)

LUV to my Canadian foodie friends and look forward to our next "gourmet gathering" ! :)

Ýmir

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

My pregnant wife and I had an amazing time touring the Golden Circle with Ymir. Ymir is passionate about Iceland, makes sure his guests are fed/served amazing food and beverages and to personalize the trip as much as possible. He gives great recommendations. It was great learning about Icelandic culture and history, as well as his thoughts on many topics which he is well versed in.
One of the best tours ever in my opinion, and if one wants to travel well this should not be missed. Yes, the price is a bit much but that is how Iceland is....if you want to play then everything will cost you in this magical country!

1  Thank gblovintex
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

TAKK for the beautiful words :) <3

You are truly right - NIceland is very expensive at the moment (currency fluctuates a lot) but as one of our fellow travellers described our tours : "They cost a lot of money but they are not expensive"

Nothing but LUCK & LOVE to your beautiful little family - honour to have both of you and your little "passenger" on the my Private Gourmet Golden Circle tour ! <3

Reviewed July 2, 2018

We had such an awesome time while we did the food walk. Tried exzellent food, we would have never gone there without Ymir. This was great fun, thanks for the funny and nice talks and walks. It was a pleasure for us to also meet Hebba (thanks for that lovely Portugiese Champagne).
The following days we tried the hidden and wonderful little places Ymir suggested us to try out. For sure we will be back to Island and another Food Walk

1  Thank HeikoD176

TAKK for the beautiful words ! :) Me and Hebba will be here for you next time you visit NIceland and be sure to know that we are ALWAYS updating our Reykjavik Gourmet Walking tour so get ready for something new ;) ... Tough job - but I guess someone has to make sure to be updated with food & drinks in this city of gourmet madness :P

Until next time - We wish you nothing but LUCK & LOVE in "this thing called life" <3

LUV Ýmir & Hebba

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Ymir and Hebba are exactly the kinds of people you want to connect with when visiting Iceland. Knowledgeable, passionate, charming and generous in sharing all those things, time spent with them is time well spent. Can’t wait to return.

1  Thank Caplansky
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Takk for the beautiful words :) <3

Easy to be good hosts when you get only GREAT guests !

We enjoyed the time with you and really look forward to meet & EAT again ;)

LUV from NIceland,

Ýmir & Hebba

Reviewed June 4, 2018

If you love food and exclusivity, this is the trip for you. Ymir went above and beyond for our family of 6 (4 people in their 20's/30's, 2 in their 60's). We were introduced to culinary experiences we would have never discovered on our own. The Secret Lagoon and Geyser-boiled eggs were an amazing way to start the day (skip the Blue Lagoon, this is better!) - I won't share the rest of the surprises. Ymir catered to our unique request to be picked up in South Iceland and returned to Reykjavik. He has intel on the Icelandic food scene (including Michelin restaurants) and took professional-quality photos of our group along the way. Every location felt very private and in addition to all the great food, there was an abundance of adult drinks that were greatly appreciated. Skal, Ymir and Magical Iceland Gourmet Tours! Well done.

1  Thank Erik J
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Private Gourmet Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2018

Takk ! <3 for the beautiful words - Loved every minute with you fun loving foodie family :)

Wishing you nothing but LUCK & LOVE in "this thing called life" <3