Book In Advance
More Information

Ways to Experience Magical Iceland - Food & Wine Tours
from $248.65
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 30, 2017

A fascinating exploration of Icelandic food and culture. Emir is very knowledgable and extremely personable. He takes you to places and enables you to experience food that you would be unlikely to find on your own. It is expensive, but for us it was worth it.

Date of experience: July 2017
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Food & Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2017

Takk ! <3 for the beautiful review :) - It means the world to me !

Wishing you nothing but LUCK & LOVE (and of course some great gourmet food and drinks) in "this thing called life" <3

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

The Gourmet Tour was a fantastic experience and Ymir is an incredible guide, not only giving great explanations of Icelandic history, nature and folklore but doing so with a personal touch. The tour was intimate, relaxing and highly fulfilling. The food and drinks on the tour were wonderful and never ending from start to finish. The tour is very highly recommended!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 6, 2017

This tour was everything we had hoped for, and soo much more: breathtaking nature, authentic Icelandic culture, fabulous food and the best of times with many laughs and inside stories with our lovely guide Ymir, who knows everything (and probably everyone) there is to know about Iceland. Just GO! You will not regret it.

Date of experience: September 2017
Ýmir A, Owner at Magical Iceland - Food & Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

TAKK dear friends and fellow earthlings touring this thing called "life" with us <3

Me and Hebba are lucky to have met you and your wonderful friends !

Wishing you LUCK & LOVE ... and never ending gourmet food and drinks ! ;)

LUV to you and the rest of the party <3

Ýmir & Hebba

Reviewed September 5, 2017

This was a (un)surprise treat for my birthday from my wife for which I am truly grateful. Since I hate surprises, I had a big hole in the itinerary for this trip and I wanted to have a framework for our trip. She ended up telling me what it was this was it. Both the city walking tour and the Golden Circle Tour. I will focus on the food experience since the stops on the Golden Circle have been reviewed a lot.

The Golden Circle Gourmet Tour traces the classic route that Iceland is famous for but in a private vehicle and tour guide setting. We had Ymir for both tours and we can't be more happy with his upbeat attitude and knowledge of this country. A great ambassador. He will feed you right from the start and to the end. All foods are local and of course organic and fresh. If we can sum up Icelandic food, we can say that it's pure and honest. The French can take an ingredient and turn it into something special. Here in Iceland, we can say that the ingredients do the talking and they have standards and laws that North America doesn't have so it's hard not to be wary of what is sold/consumed here. And Amir takes advantage of that. He served a breakfast that consisted of raw vegetables, smoked fish, bread, sweet pastries and an amazing avocado "butter" that went very well with everything, except for the pastry of course. Then it was a picnic of various appetizers along with a sparkling wine and seasonal rhubarb reduction to mix into it mimosa style. Then onto the tomato farm where we must have had everything on the menu. Too bad we couldn't finish it all because we had a lot more eating to do. The olive bread it amazing and the story of how they can grow produce with an unforgiving climate is well worth the visit. Then comes the visit to the dairy farm where we had beef carpaccio, skyr and the huge burger, fries and bacon. You can tell it is not like anything in North America. The beef is a bit dry, but it's free of fillers and the meat is lean. All you get is the beef taste. The bacon is not fatty, and the potatoes for the fries are sweet and have a texture and taste of a potato. Once again, honest ingredients at play here as usual. The weather wasn't too great, but we were able to get everything in before the rain hit. All in all a great spin to the classic Golden Circle Tour. And yes, you do not have to make any dinner plans when this tour concludes.

A few days later we had the City Walking Gourmet Tour with Ymir. This is a 3hr light walking tour with eating along the way. We stopped at a number of places tasting various products from areas that are touristy and some that aren't. Places from a cheese shop/restaurant that serves one of the best lamb we have tasted, to the world famous hot dog stand that Bill Clinton visited, nothing is left out here and you are full after this is done too.

Ymir is probably the most enthusiastic person I have ever met and he is passionate about food and his country. He knows a lot of people and is very connected not only to the culinary scene, but political and economic scene in Iceland. You will get not only an insight into Icelandic food, but pretty much anything that goes on in Iceland, he knows. And for that Ymir, Vicky and I will raise a glass and say "skal!" to you. Thank you for a wonderful 2 tours. This is highly recommended by us. Takk!

Mark and Vicky

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Rattlehead74

TAKK for the wonderful review !!! :) - Well - I must say that I am on your team of "being grateful to your lovely wife" for choosing to spend some gourmet time with me in NIceland !!! :)

I am both proud, happy and humble to read your review ... and specially knowing your broad expertise, passion and experience when it comes to food, wine and travel (preferably all together ;)) !

Wishing both of you nothing but LUCK, LOVE & LOTS AND LOTS of gourmet food and drinks in "this thing called life"

LUV Ýmir

ps I am excited to receive your notes on the best places for red wine and champagne tasting ... Hebba is asking me every day now !!! ;)

Reviewed September 4, 2017

We loved our day with Ýmir who felt like a friend in no time We were 3 adults on the Golden Circle Gourmet tour. So incredible - enjoyed every minute - learning about Iceland (the inside scoop) and experiencing the spectacular scenery and tastes!
So happy that we chose this experience that hit all the senses - Thank you for all of it.
Private pick up, wonderful conversation and a big variety of flavors & views.

Date of experience: August 2017

TAKK for a great time and the wonderful words ! :) <3

Wishing you nothing but LUCK & LOVE in "this thing called life"

LUV Ýmir

ps I really hope that my special favours / connections with Þór (the God of Thunders) resulted in you guys getting the dancing Aurora in the sky the night after our day of the Gourmet Golden Circle together ! ;)