“7 course sampler menu was fun for our whole group of friends”
Review of MAR Restaurant

MAR Restaurant
Ranked #131 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had a group of 7 and made a reservation. The interior was very attractive and the 7 course sampler was fantastic. Everything was fresh and creative. It was expensive like all other nice restaurants in Iceland compared to America, but this time it as worth it.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear CoriandBill.

Thank you for the nice review. I hope you didn´t have to eat for two days afterwards and thus making it a great bargain as well as a fun experience :)

I look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Reykjavik.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Excellent service and food, reasonable price (for Iceland) and got a 15% discount by using one of their mini cards that we picked up in the hotel. Cost was about £70 for 2 for an a la carte 3 course meal and coffee

Dear GEOFFBATLEY.

Short and sweet review and delightful to read. Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The 7-course tasting menu felt like excellent value (especially compared to other restaurants in pricey Reykjavik) and it was delicious! We had everything from salt cod, to Lobster, to risotto, to lamb. They also generously gave us 2 desserts when only one was supposed to be included. They were both amazing- the orange tart was particularly lovely and not something I would have necessarily chosen. The staff were fantastic, which was refreshing as waiting staff elsewhere in Reykjavik were sometimes shockingly rude. They answered all of our questions and were polite and friendly. The atmosphere was a bit lacking, but it was a quiet Monday evening. I've already recommended this to friends travelling to Reykjavik.

Dear KirstyVSmith88.

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your MAR experience. I am delighted to see we hit the mark for your taste buds and service expectations. I am working hard at filling the tables every night to make sure the atmosphere is enjoyable too.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you friends at MAR.

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Looked very promising but turned out to be a massive disappointment. Lunch menu is very poor selection. Mainly "elegant sandwiches". After being seated and waiting 10 minutes I went to the bar and asked for a menu myself. Then I got a coffee which came without a spoon or sugar or anything so yet again I had to chase it myself. After waiting 20 minutes for someone to take our orders we decided to leave and I had to go to the bar again to pay. They are really not friendly or attentive to say the least. I must emphasise it was Friday lunchtime so it was far from busy, there were barely any guests...
Definitely not recommended. So many nuce fish restaurants around, avoid this one. Poor seafood selection as well!

1  Thank herincsmaria
Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear herincsmaria.

I have to take full responsibility for your experience with us. I was there and it was I who served you the coffee. Obviously, we were extremely busy as you know since you were three people put on the only available table, that is usually for 6 people. That is also the reason why you didn´t get menus right away. It wasn´t because we are lazy service professionals, but because of my poor planning. We could have had more printed out for you to view. In regards to the time frames you mention, I will not discuss them in detail, just mention that they are a bit exaggerated.

In regards to the menu selection. Well, we were busy for some reason. The sandwiches you mention are mainly Piadinas (italian sandwiches) that have been a hit since opening. In Iceland, most people like something simple for lunch and if you would have liked the dinner menu, that would have been no problem. I agree that the seafood selection is not great but we are working on this and will come out with a different selection soon, but don´t expect a huge change on the popular lunch menu.

I regret the blatant lie you post about hardly any guests. Myself and all my staff are doing our best to give great, memorable service. The only reason you did not receive it is because we were too busy and I should have called in some extra staff for that particular period. For that, I do sincerely apologise.

I would advise you to accurately describe what you experience when posting on Tripadvisor because it is a great way to tell us how to do better and I do take that seriously. I thank you for the pointers that were accurate in your description and hope to see you here at some point in the future for a hugely improved experience.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We went here for a very very late lunch after a whale watching tour. We didn't intend to have dinner yet, as it was only 5pm. Now I very much regret this! This was easily the best restaurant we've been to in Iceland. Great food and fantastic service. The waiter even helped the couple that was seated next to us to call their tour operator to discuss their northern lights tour of that evening.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Louloves2travel.

Thank you for the nice review. The best in Iceland is a good start and of course a warm welcome to our guests is not just pouring the wine correctly, it´s about anticipating their needs. We are aware how badly most visitors want to see the Northern Lights so we know that giving them any help to make that happen will reflect well on us. I am working on training all my staff to take care of guest needs that typical waiters never think of.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.