“Great wine!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Service was outstanding, very helpful and charismatic waiter. We booked for a three course deal. I must admit when I found out we were at the mercy of the chef who would serve us a series of surprises, I was a little nervous given I can be fussy. The waiter convinced me to go for it and I was not left disappointed. Beautiful focaccia bread and soup to start, decent main and a super yummy chocolate dessert. Had a bottle of superb white wine from Bordeaux that was very reasonably priced, in fact the wine list was a great selection and probably the best drink we had during our stay in Iceland. Excellent value for money and a great dining experience.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Sharper28.

Thank you for the great review. We are always excited to see our guests happy with both the food and service. Our wine selection never hurts either.

I look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is a nice restaurant by the harbor in Reykjavík, the cozy and relaxed atmosphere surrounds you from the moment you walk trough the doors.

I tasted a appetizer, main course and a desert with the house wine and it all came trough with flying colors, the lamb fillet with leek confit, carrots, beets, mashed potatoes, and chanterelle lamb jus was 10/10, cooking, plating and just the combination of the foot on the plate was excellent.

And if you still have room for a desert then do not think twice and have the Caramel chocolate mousse with blueberry syrup.

If you want an excellent dining experience in down town Iceland this it the place to go.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear AriJons.

Thank you for the glowing review. We certainly try to deliver on all sides of the guest experience and I am very happy we were able to impress you on that night.

I look forward to welcoming you at MAR many more times in the near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Went out to celebrate with few buddies from work and we are definitely going to ad MAR to one of our regular places.The food and the service was perfect.
My main course was the Beef tenderloin, it tasted amazingly and perfectly cooked. I was impressed with the side ingredients as they were delicious. I ordered the Caramel chocolate mousse for dessert even though that I thought that could not possible get one more bit down, my best decision in a long time. The Caramel mousse is so good that I was a bit sad when I finished it.
The service was great and the waiters were able to tell me all about the dishes before ordering and even gave me some personal recommendation about the desserts, witch I´m thankful for.
All in all great night and we will be visiting again.

Dear SvHerm.

Thank you for the great review. I am delighted you liked the food, service and atmosphere and look forward to seeing you and your colleagues regularly at MAR.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had great dinner the light salted cod was amacing and the waiter very friendly ad informative. Will vist again next time.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Gssve.

Thank you so much for your short but sweet review. We love it when our guests like the food and service. You are welcome back anytime!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Last night I visited MaR to experience the chefs tasting menu. I was impressed with the service, taste and presentation. I matched the meal with a wine tasting and enjoyed the selections from unfamiliar vineyards. I complimented the chef of the choice of ingredients and presentation. My server (Rebecca) provided great service and some insight on Iceland. I'll be back on my next trip.

Dear DetailsbyBill.

Thank you for joining us at MAR. I am glad you enjoyed the tasting menu and the service. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future with a more full house with atmosphere to enjoy.