“A lovely experience”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We wandered into the Buddha Café really to find out what the A-board offer of a "5 course surprise menu" consisted of and rather liked the sound of it. The menu was: salmon sashimi with caviar, skewered chicken in a sticky sauce, sliced duck, tempura sushi and California rolls, and crème brûlée with green tea ice. The price also included a drink. My husband had a Blue Buddha cocktail and I had a Mayan Hot Chocolate cocktail. Both were delicious. The food was amazingly good and surprisingly filling and the service was beautifully attentive without being intrusive. It was fairly quiet on the night we visited but on other evenings the place has been fully occupied and yet appears to work well. On the night we were there the gap between the courses was minimal. In fact we asked for a break between the duck and brûlée which they happily acceded to. This wasn't a cheap night out but was worth every penny (or krona!).

2  Thank Rachael B

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was probably the most welcoming and friendly place we ate in Reykjavik. Our food was very tasty and served promptly. The menu probably doesn’t vary too much from a good quality Chinese/Japanese restaurant in the UK, but sometimes after a few nights of steaks you just need that oriental food fix. This place certainly works well. Definitely recommend.

3  Thank HelenMR30
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We wondered down this road searching for a place to eat, nothing pulled us in untill we saw this place, we got the 5 course Japanese grill, it was SO GOOD. Funnily enough, I was super full afterwards!!

Their Majitos are to die for!!! Also the alcohol was at a good price to be fair.

2  Thank FranPorter
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We weren't too hungry- so chose accordingly
The city is expensive and this was about ona par with other restaurants - but the food was good, service was excellent

1  Thank Brightonandrew
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm just coming back from this restaurant and I don't understand the other reviews. We arrived while the restaurant was quite empty and have been seated quickly on a round table which was nice. We directly got the menu and water. So far so good, it matched the description I got from other reviews. After that, a few people came in but it was far from being full. We waited approximately 15mn to pass the order and another 25mn or so to get our dishes. It became a game to count time to see how long they could take to react so I know for fact that we waited 23mn for the table to get cleaned. Then some of us would have liked to see the menu to get a desert but no one asked us if we wanted any nor asked if we wanted to see the menu. After 15mn of being ignored with waiters walking all around us we gently intercepted one and asked for the bill. I'm still waiting for it ... The lady said "ok of course" but 10 minutes later our patience was exceeded and we decided to go and pay directly at the bar. So horrible!

Besides the poor staff, food was so-so, it was overall expensive considering quality and size of the dishes. They were disproportionate as mine was full of (mini) tempura shrimps while my girlfriend got 3 yakitori sticks and some salad. It goes without saying that she was still hungry when we left.

I don't know if they got any kind of trouble in the kitchen tonight but anyway I do not recommend this place.

3  Thank Anth0o