“city hall”

65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“city hall”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

the city hall sits on the lake so is surrounded by the water. inside theres a huge map of iceland that you can walk around, theres a nice little cafe as well and clean toilets. when you come out you go over a bridge which is lovely and if you come out through the car park it looks as if you are actually coming out of the water, amazing

Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Quick warm stop with great archectiture. Don't miss it!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We would have missed this site if we hadn't been with Stefan of "Tours by Locals." Loved the outside of the building with its impressive moss and ice wall - just gorgeous. Inside (which I would have been hesitant to enter without my tour guide, but all are welcome) it was warm and there were public bathrooms and an enormous map of Iceland. If you walk through the building to the pond on the other side there are ducks and swans and beautiful views. There's even a small cafe in the City Hall that looks out over the pond. Very modern with huge windows - quite stylish. Our guide was telling us a fun story about the current mayor of Reykjavik who used his desire for a corner office in City Hall as one of his platform issues during his campaign. As we left through the bridge over the water on the side of the building we could see the corner of the mayor's office and his mini balcony.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Heidi1999
Jersey City, New Jersey
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“unexpected treasure in the heart of the city”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I agree 100% with Janlett's review. I went to 'the pond' one morning, had no idea what the modern building was, but I ventured onto the boardwalk across one end of the water, and realized people were going in and out of the building. I thought maybe it was a high-end apartment complex. Was I surprised when I realized it was some sort of civic area. (nothing was in English, except one sign about the map). The topographic map is a must-see if you want to have a good sense of the layout of the country, and its fascinating geography. Nothing else I saw gave me such a good sense of the land.

Visited April 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Radhus had two features we liked”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Out on a casual walk our first day in Reykjavik we saw the modern architecture of the Radhus (or city hall) as if it was sitting on the lake (Tjornin). It looked like an office building and we weren't expecting it to be open but it was and soon inside we found a small cafe which was also open. It was a cold rainy day so a hot cup of tea and warm apple cake (delicious) was a happy surprise. One wall of the cafe was entirely made of windows so that one could look out at the lake, which we were actually on, and the wildlife and the little bridges in the distance. The other attraction was in the next room and this was a model of Iceland laid out on a large table, probably 12' x 12'. The model was made over a number of years by a team of people and it shows the topography of Iceland in accurate detail; it shows very small towns in isolated areas. The model gives a better visual idea of Iceland's dramatic topography than any map could do. I don't know if there is anything else of interest to see in the Radhus but we spent an enjoyable hour here.

Visited August 2012