“Dont book any tours or rooms from them - they cheat you.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tourist Information Centre

Tourist Information Centre
Ranked #16 of 176 things to do in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us at Reykjavik Official Tourist Information Centre and our friendly multilingual staff will help you make your visit even more memorable! We gladly provide you with the latest information on cultural life and events in Reykjavik in addition to information on day tours, pools, museums, dining and other suggestions on how to spend your time in our lovely and vibrant city. We can also assist you to plan your stay and book your next adventure to make your trip unforgettable. At Reykjavik Official Tourist Information Centre you can also pick up complimentary brochures, booklets and maps. We look forward to seeing you!
Oxford, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Dont book any tours or rooms from them - they cheat you.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Euros are widely accepted by shops, tour companies and hotels and the current exchange rate is about 152 kroners to the euro. I booked tours through the tourist office totalling 24000 kroners and was told I could pay in euros which I did. When I got the receipt I found I´d been charged the equivalent of 26000 kroners, ie a surcharge of 2000 for paying in euros. I protested and said I could change the money in the bank opposite - but they wouldnt give me the euros back to do that. They cheated me by making a hidden secret charge that no-one else I paid euros to made. I did not expect such treatment from a government office - they must be desperate for money to treat tourists in that way. I am disgusted and warn you not to use their services - deal direct with the tour companies and you wont have this kind of problem. Its good to keep your money in euros and only change the minimum into kroners because the kroner is subject to strict capital controls and you will get a very bad rate for it overseas if you are stuck with them. When I left the country, the exchange office in the airport was closed.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Anthony W
Bryndisp, Public Relations Manager at Tourist Information Centre, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your taking the time to write your review and sorry for the late reply.

It is correct that we at the Tourist Information Centre take 8% in commission for exchanging foreign currency. Because of your review I held a meeting with our information officers in May and now our commission for exchanging currency is clearly stated before each exchange.

Thank you for your review.

Með kveðju,

• Turkish first
Sussex
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Very poor advice from a disinterested adviser”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our whale watching was cancelled on the last day of our weekend in Reykjavik and we quickly ran down to the Tourist Info office to get something arranged for the afternoon.

A very disinterested tourist officer, sitting in her slippers, didn't seem at all interested in helping much at all. We got more advice from our hotel reception than here. The only disappointing experience over a brilliant weekend.

Visited January 2013
Bryndisp, Public Relations Manager at Tourist Information Centre, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and telling us about our unacceptable services. We are very disappointed in our staff since we pride ourselves with well trained and service oriented employees. We have begun re-evaluating our service strategy because of your review, which we take very seriously. Again thank you for writing your review because of it we will do better.

Með kveðju / Kind regards,
Visit Reykjavík
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very helpful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place was awesome! They were very helpful, offering both options and solutions. There was no pressure to get any packages or tours and in the end we rented a car, got two tours and booked our shuttle back to the airport through them. In addition, they offer a 15% discount on items in their gift shop if you've booked anything through them. Highly recommended!!

Bryndisp, Public Relations Manager at Tourist Information Centre, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for kind words and for taking the time to write your review. I am so happy that we were able to help you during your stay and make your trip more memorable.

Hopefully we will see you again in Reykjavik,

Með kveðju / Kind regards,
Visit Reykjavik
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Tourist information centre - just off laugavauger, 101 Reykjavik. Very friendly and extremely helpful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Thank you for your assistance and friendliness when we came to ask for help! It's a shame that others haven't written reviews because I'm sure that you are just as friendly and helpful to everyone! Thank you! The girl also recommended a fantastic place for breakfast, which was easy to find and served good icelandic food! Well done, keep up the good work!

1 Thank KarenR34
Bryndisp, Public Relations Manager at Tourist Information Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and for writing our very first review. I am glad that we were able to assist you in making your visit even more memorable.

Hopefully we will see you again in Reykjavik,