“How a steak should taste !”
Review of The Steak House

The Steak House
Ranked #33 of 463 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Argentinean, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A five story concrete building that once housed offices on the upper floors and a metalwork company on the ground floor, now is the home of restaurant The Steakhouse on the ground floor, the four floors above are now apartments. The old harbor area of Reykjavik has in the last couple of years, changed in to a real gem where various cuisines, museums and arts and crafts have replaced the metalworks and fisheries. The newest addition is STEIKHÚSIÐ, which simply means „The Steak House”. The name is a deliberately this simple and descriptive, the aim is to be the only steakhouse you think of after the first visit. The heart of Steikhúsið is the coal oven from Mibrasa and the soul is our own way of tendering meat for at least 28 days. Those who seek for something purely Icelandic won’t be disappointed, Steikhúsið also caters to those who want the best of Icelandic lamb and fish.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How a steak should taste !”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Decided to try it out with my husband and father in law. To put it simply - Fantastic! We went for the 3 course steak feast, for starter we had BBQ chicken with blue cheese and BBQ dip, spring roles with puffin filling and seafood spears. All brilliant. As a main course we got the lamb with bernaise and it was cooked to perfection, they have coal grill oven which gives a genuine BBQ flavor. My dad is a farmer and lamb has been on the menu at least once a week all my life so it's difficult to impress me with lamb but boy did they succeed, one of the best ever. For desert we got some sort of cheesecake with liqurice, passion fruit and chocolate - freaky combination but such a delight! The service was very good and the atmosphere welcoming. So all in all a brilliant place to dine and not to pricy ! 100% going back there soon :)

1 Thank mariagudjons

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Richland, Washington
“The best meal we had in Reykjavik”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Didn't realize this was a steakhouse when we walked in as we didn't see the name of the restuarant. We were just walking down the street and we were hungry. Because I didn't realize it was a steakhouse I ordered the monkfish, and I'm glad I did. I had never experienced monkfish before. I cannot describe how delicious it was, my taste buds were going wild. But the delicious food didn't stop there, the dessert was to die for. The service was excellent as well. Will go back the next time we're in town.

1 Thank Raymond V
Reykjavík
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing burger”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Got the burger, it was advertised to be filled with brie and 180 gr of meat. The service was quick, maybe too quick because the burger was raw. I like my burgers medium rare not red and raw. The taste was bland and I couldn´t find the cheese, could only taste the portobello mushroom and the raw meat followed by the pickled onions that i specifically told the waiter to skip. And that burger was really expensive. Would not buy it again, maybe their steaks are good.

1 Thank Pluto1012
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“Excellent steakhouse in heart of Reykjavik”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Went there yesterday in a party of five. All of us were pleasantly suprised. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. It's most definitely among the best, if not the best steakhouse here in Iceland.

Place is perfectly located in the center of Reykjavik. All the interiors also look very nice and the place has a really nice atmosphere.

1 Thank Valdimar J
Adliswil, Switzerland
“The real thing”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

At the Steak House we had one of the best steaks that we have had in years. According to the owners they have their beef dry aged for 27 day's and I believe them, as the steaks are remarkably tender with a long aftertaste. The steaks are grilled in a charcoal oven, giving the steaks an authentic grill taste. The wine list is quite good and I found the prices for, both the meal and the wines very reasonable

• Visited August 2012