“Cafe for quality food”

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Quite easy to walk past if you get distracted by the signs for adjacent restaurants, this small cafe downstairs has a limited menu, but all items are prepared well. Vegetarian dishes, including sweet potato soup and spinach lasagne are recommended. I noticed John Grant's album 'King of Denmark' playing quietly in the background during lunch and mentioned to the waiter on the way out that his new album 'Pale Green Ghosts' was also good. But he already knew that - apparently John Grant now lives in Iceland and is a regular at the cafe! It's a small world.

1  Thank Chris L

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had good coffee with free refills and hot chocolate here after visiting the lake. We would have liked to eat here.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this place. We had both lunch and breakfast there in our time in Reykjavik I can recommend both. For lunch it had the fish curry which was so good and my girlfriend had the spinach lasagne. I can't recommend it higher.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

If you visit Reykjavik you must visit Bergsson Mathus. Great local food! We went 3 times in a five day visit!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was a regular haunt of mine when I lived in Reykjavik. It's very much a place for locals, with the odd tourist popping in. I was totally charmed by the very pretty waitress, but the food speaks for itself. The coffee isn't the best in Reykjavik, but it's quite good in a town with a very high standard of coffee. They do a good breakfast and brunch, probably only bettered by Vegamot. I was a little surprised the first time I tried the brunch as I was expecting a warm dish, but I still found it enjoyable. Open from 7am-7pm

The only criticism is that the orange juice isn't freshly squeezed, which is quite disappointing.