“Unique, captivating and delicious”
Review of Fridrik V - CLOSED

Fridrik V
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This restaurant deserves to be at the top of the list of restaurants in Reykjavik. The service was really genuinely good (much like everywhere in Iceland) but combined with great knowledge of all the food and drinks that we were being served it really made the evening special. We opted for the 5 course menu with my husband getting beer with his and I opted for the non-alcoholic drinks menu. The drinks were really well matched with the meal and the non-alcoholic drinks menu was very creative and introduced me to several drinks that I would love to make at home. Each food course was fantastic, beautifully presented, beautifully cooked and all the flavours combining together to really give you a taste of Iceland. There's quite a few top notch restaurants in Reykjavik and personally I prefer Sjavargrillid because it is slightly more down to earth, however that should take nothing away from Fridrik V which I think deserves its No. 1 place (currently) and makes an ideal place to celebrate a special occasion. Definitely check this place out.

1  Thank skipn_easy
There are newer reviews for Fridrik V

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was fortunate to visit Fridrik V twice; once for lunch on Sep. 17 and again for supper on the 18th. As I left on the 17th after a delicious meal of tomato soup, a perfectly-cooked blueling fillet and an Icelandic stout, I found myself wondering about their business model as I felt I'd received far more value than the Visa slip indicated. Ended up making a reservation for the following night and indulged in the 5-course with local beer pairings, which was the best decision I'd made in 14 days.

Sticker shock may scare away a frugal tourist when looking at the dinner menu, but I can assure you that the value is there. Five fantastic courses paired with five local beers left me utterly satiated, all served impeccably by Adda and Hekla (who is much less fiery than her volcanic namesake). The highlights were goose liver pate (I was informed where the goose had been hunted), duck breast, lobster soup and 'lunkfish'? The local beers were highly complementary to the courses, and (when topped with an espresso and an ounce of cognac) capped off an astounding dining experience.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The menu at Fridrik V comprises of either 3 or 5 courses, matched with beer, wine or non alcoholic drinks, so ordering is pretty easy! We went for 3 courses matched with beer and every course and amuse bouche was fresh, delicious and well presented.
It didn't matter that you didn't know in advance what each course was going to be, as everything was explained by the knowledgeable and attentive staff, and the small map of the country on the table is used to show you where it was from which was a nice touch. You really feel that what you're eating has been selected based on the best that's on offer that day.
The beers were also great, a nice match with the food and not beers which we'd already tried in the local bars.
It's a not a cheap meal, I'd say the price was comparable to a michelin starred restaurant in London, but then the food was comparable to this level too.
A definite highlight of our weekend in Reykjavik, and probably one of the best dining experiences we've had.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Theres a reason why this restaurant is #1: it deserves that accolade. The food, service and overall dining experience was wonderful., plus the service was friendly, very accommodating and made you feel as if serving you their finely prepared meal made them happy. We had the 6 course wine pairing menu, which was varied and all farm to table. We loved the fish courses, and the lamb plate with Icelandic lamb was extraordinary (even said by one of our party who doesn't really like lamb)- there were 3 different types of lamb plated and each delish. While everyone applauds the "lobster cappuccino " it's just a cute service of lobster broth with a bit of fish foam topper (tastes better than it sounds)' ; nice but hardly what makes this meal special. And the breads were also great.
At the end of the meal the hef owner came out and he was a regular guy who just loves what he does. He was holding packaged slab of beef for the next day's service and explained labeling- provenance of the beef, etc.
This restaurant is a must do and should not be missed.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I had the 5 course surprise menu with wine and the quality of the food was outstanding. Fish and lamb were particularly good and showcased Icelandic cuisine. The service was exemplary, great idea to have the staff explain where the food is sourced. The wine that accompanied each course complimented the food perfectly. The meal for two cost an equivalent of £180 which for the quality and quantity of food, wine and service was fine and a similar restaurant in the UK would potentially charge more than this. A must for visiting foodies.