“A memorable experience”

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went to Iceland for just over 2 weeks and on our first and last night we had dinner at Fridrik V. Our 5 course taster menu with wine was so good we just had to have a repeat, which turned out not to be a repeat - but just as delicious as the first time. Wonderful food with the friendliest service. And good value as well. Happy memories. Hopefully we'll be back in Reykjavik one day, and we'll certainly book a table at Fridrik V.

2  Thank maritmusa

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The first reservation we made after deciding to travel to Reykjavik for a long weekend was Fridrik V. I emailed the owners from the restaurant website nearly 3 months in advance to ensure a table on a Saturday night. Adda, the co-owner and Fridrik's wife promptly replied and was able to seat us at 7 pm. The restaurant is located on the main shopping street and was east to find. Adda greeted at the door and was genuinely happy to meet us. Of course we chose the 5 course surprise menu with wine pairing. The experience lasted about 3 1/2 hours and was a journey around Iceland. It seemed that every ingredient on every plate had a local story that the staff eagerly wanted to share. Yes, the food was incredible (sous vide lamb shoulder with brown cheese sauce) but the total experience was so special. By the way, it's really 7 courses including an amuse-bouche and decadent lobster cappuccino before the main plate. I could go on and on but suffice it say we can't wait to go back. Meeting Chef Fridrik when he came to our table to chat was the icing on the cake. Oh, and they have the nicest, cleanest toilets in the whole of Iceland.

4  Thank GLBTtraveler
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a "not to miss" restaurant. We had the five course menu with a beer pairing (wine pairing is also a available) and every dish was delicious and creative but not pretentious. The restaurant is family operated and all the three members were charming and informative. If Fridrik V were in the San Francisco Bay Area, our home, one would have to reserve at least two months in advance.

3  Thank fredandjerry
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Holy cow. This was the most amazing dining experience I have ever had. We did the five course tasting menu with wine pairings. Each course was brilliantly executed and so creatively designed. The wine was really high quality and delicious. The waiter (the chefs wife) was delightful. At the end of the meal, the chef came out and introduced himself Nd explained his inspiration for the meal and how he designs the menu (hint: it's bAsed on the local catch for the day,) I plan to return to Iceland just to eat here again. Wow.

2  Thank Red8910
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I took my wife here for her 30th birthday and it was an amazing gastronomical feast! We were a bit concerned about the surprise menu as we can be a little fussy when it comes to food. However, we were blown away by some of the dishes. Fair enough, we didn't like every single dish on the surprise menu (I don't like pate so I was never going to like the reindeer pate, and lobster capuccino has a quite unique strong taste which I liked, but my wife found a little over-powering). However, the rest of the food is absolutely incredible - as was the service. I'm not going to list all of the food we had as it's a surprise, but honestly don't worry just go for it!! They genuinely wanted us to have the most fantastic dining experience, and it's great to see them have so much passion for their food. As a special birthday treat, they sword swiped a bottle of fizzy outside for us as an Icelandic tradition - again an example of going beyond your expectations. You must go here!!! One of the best restaurants in the world and deserves a couple of Michelin stars!

3  Thank Steve C