“Fun, informative, and tasty!”
Review of Salt Eldhus

Salt Eldhus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At Salt Eldhus, (Icelandic for kitchen) we invite you to join us for some delicious fun and a chance to learn about Icelandic food culture first hand. This is a hands on activity where you cook & dine under the supervision of skilled chefs and get rewarded afterwards with the fruits of your labor, accompanied with a glass of wine. We offer both Cook and Dine and Demo & Dine experiences for private groups during the evening.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 23, 2014

My husband and I wanted it take a cooking class while we visited Reykjavik. A little bit of searching revealed that Salt Eldhús was the best and possibly only option in town. I communicated with Audur before making the reservation to make sure she'd be able to accommodate me (I'm pescatarian). We had the best time - Audur went above and beyond to make sure that we were comfortable and having a good time. She paced the preparations very well, explained all the ingredients in depth, went over technique, and answered all of our questions. We were very fortunate to be in a small class (4 of us total) so we got a lot of attention. The meal was delicious (yes, my fish was very good) and we got to just sit and talk about Iceland's food scene in a very relaxed manner. This was a fabulous experience and I wholeheartedly recommend a cooking class at Salt Eldhús!

1  Thank Kejay
audurogn, Owner at Salt Eldhus, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for stopping by my TripAdvisor page to do a review, it is greatly appreciated. I was glad you liked the fish and appreciated the homely setting and relaxed manner of this class. Hope the rest of your trip went as well so you will have many happy memories of times spent in Iceland.

There are newer reviews for Salt Eldhus

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Audur, the owner, planned our meal to be a "modern take on her grandmother's cooking" featuring all local ingredients, including angelica and mountain thyme that she had foraged for the day before! She told great stories about Icelandic food and about herself, and we got to drink wine and eat fantastic food.
The class was a little like going to cook with a friend (and Audur makes you feel like old friends, with a very personable manner) who tells you what to do in order to make an amazing meal.
Great introduction to Icelandic cuisine and would highly recommend! When we come back to Iceland (as we have already started planning out next trip...) I would definitely book again!

1  Thank Katelyn G
audurogn, Owner at Salt Eldhus, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Hi you guys,
I am so glad you took the time out to write such a wonderful review, I find that I love spending time with my guests and you were no exception, eager to learn about Icelandic food culture and family traditions alike.
Would be glad to see you on your next trip over to Iceland,
Auður

Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you are interested in Nordic Cuisine and cooking with local Icelandic cuisine this course is a must. Auour is very learned about the local cuisine and the class is hands on. highly recommend it. @ Chef_nucrad

1  Thank Nimu G
audurogn, Owner at Salt Eldhus, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thanks for a great day, I really enjoyed our "chefs talk" and was so impressed by your work and your Icelandic menu, thank you for sharing this with me. I also checked out your Twitter and your blog when I got home - liked what I saw.

I would love to welcome you in my kitchen if you decide to visit Iceland for the third time.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Audur, the main teacher, is one of the most discourteous people I have ever come across. We emailed her with some concerns regarding the booking and she never responded. Finally, we just called her and she bitterly acknowledged the email we had sent. The call only lasted a minute as she was 'very busy.' Our questions were still left unanswered.
In the end, we had a couple cancellations in our group and there was a 10% fee that had to be paid (not a problem). However, my friend, still booked in for the class, was emailed with only a day's notice that the class had been canceled. Apparently, there were not enough people booked in for that day. With only 2 days left in Iceland, my friend tried to rebook for another day but no luck. She then kindly asked for the recipes she would have been taught as this was the one thing she was most looking forward to on the trip. Audur replied (surprisingly) that those recipes were only for participants. So, in retrospect, she got about $90 (10% fee), cancelled her class and could not cough up a damn recipe for 1 person. This is not how I would be doing business... Especially if I was having problems getting enough people to sign up for the class.
Advice: If you get the pleasure of dealing with Audur, ask for someone else. Icelandic people are typically nice, I swear.

2  Thank Erica C
audurogn, Owner at Salt Eldhus, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Hi Erica,
I take great pride in making my guests feel at home and give them as good an experience as I possibly can, as is evident in the reviews that I have had on TripAdvisor thus far.

I am very sorry that you feel you had to write such a negative review, especially since you did not take the class and never met me in person.

Here is my side of the story: Your friend made a booking for 4 people. Later she emailed me and explained that her friends had changed their minds and did not want to take part in the class as it was too expensive. As I have a "no refund" policy, clearly stated in the terms and conditions, my first reaction was to let the booking stand. After pondering this for one day I decided to go ahead and refund you as a favor because, according to your friend, you are all students with not much to live on. The day after I had not gotten around to confirm the refund by email when your friend called me, I explained to her that I was in the middle of a teaching session and could not therefore engage in lengthy conversations, and that I would answer her email as soon as I had finished teaching, which I did.

When your friend contacted me to say she still wanted her booking to stand unchanged, it was too late as I had already refunded and erased your booking. So I asked her to sign up again. I also informed her on that occasion that I had no other bookings on her chosen date and that I might have to cancel her session at a short notice as I have a minimum of two persons. With this she said she was fine.

So in the end, I hope that this incident did not ruin your Iceland experience and that you left my beautiful country with a positive mind.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

If you are interested in Icelandic food and culture than this is a must do.

Auður is a wonderful chef, teacher and Icelandic food historian. My husband and I couldn't have been more impressed with this activity. I know we will sign up for this on our next trip back.

Iceland is such and amazing place, know for its beauty and scenery, but the real treasure of Iceland is her people.

audurogn, Owner at Salt Eldhus, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Nice to hear you liked the experience, thank you for letting me share your story and try to help find your Icelandic ancestry. I hope you will get in contact with the ones I found.
Hope to see you again,