“I'm lacking adjectives”

and up
Inside the Volcano: Small Group Thrihnukagigur Hike and Tour from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reykjavik, Iceland
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“I'm lacking adjectives”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

In this review I'm going to write about clothing, camera settings, the fox, and 3 ideas.

First of all, I need to say that this is the most amazing thing I've done in Iceland! I do not have enough adjectives to describe the magnificence and beauty of this place. I want to do this again some time later. I regret we didn't have more time down there - it was really only 30 minutes at the bottom (+7 to descend, and +7 to ascend). I was not ready to go when we were called.

Clothes: you'll need your best outdoor clothing, waterproof and windproof. They're putting up a path right now. Hiking boots are a must.

Camera settings: if you have a bright lens (f/2.8) and good high ISO (1600 ok), you can shoot handheld. A flash can be interesting for your foreground, but not necessary. Silhouettes are great as well. Important - some cloth to wipe your lens often. It's dripping all the time in the vault.

The arctic fox: there's a female fox around all the time. We were allowed to give her from our sandwiches, but no sweets! They don't do her good. Her name is Funi.

3 ideas: this is a great place where to get engaged, get married, or sing an aria (the acoustics inside are wonderful)

If you found this review beneficial, I love to receive some blue stars :)

12 Thank yes-Rvk

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The volcano itself was amazing. The rest of the experience was not.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The descent into the volcano and the 30 minutes we spent exploring it = 5 stars. Truly incredible.

But the hike across the lava field was a pretty brutal experience. The marketing materials for this excursion say "2.5 out of 5" for difficulty, moderate fitness level required but no hiking experience necessary. I strongly disagree there. Hiking experience is most definitely required, because the terrain is incredibly rough and muddy. Not just uneven, but so rocky that there were virtually no places where you could place your feet flat on any surface. The website vastly undersells how difficult the terrain is. The website also doesn't fully prepare you for the weather. Dressing in hiking boots, moisture-wicking pants, fleece, raincoats, etc, was apparently not enough, because we were urged (forced?) to borrow some orange rain-proof rubbery pants, which made the hike even more difficult because they were too long and often got caught on the rocks.

The people at the base camp were very friendly, but our guide was somewhat indifferent (at one point while inside the volcano, I fell and rolled several feet down the rocks, but she didn't so much as look up from her phone to see what the crashing and yelping noise was). For an attraction that costs so much, I would have hoped for some more care from our guide.

All in all, I am glad that I did this tour. Being inside the volcano was an incredible experience, and there is nothing like it in the world. But, honestly, if the website had been more clear about the exact nature of the hike, I probably would not have gone through with it.

8 Thank Kristen L
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“SPEECHLESS”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

WOW. This is frankly astonishing. Worth every penny and more. Don't delay, book it and experience it. The guides are superb and very helpful. About a 1hr hike across a lava field (which is fascinating in itself with lava tubes and tectonic plates etc on the way). Walk to the top is easy and the journey down in the 'lift' is breathtaking. I was pleased to see we had about 40 mins inside the chamber (which is 120m down) and we could walk anywhere we wanted which just added to the experience. They left you to explore (If this was in the UK you can just imagine the unnecessary health & safety that would ruin your experience) by yourself which was perfect, gave you a chance to soak in the enormity of the place. The pictures don't portray the reality of how incredible the experience is.

2 Thank Steve G
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Unique and awe inspiring”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This tour is unique. Be aware - it is physically challenging as it involves a long walk over a lava field to reach the volcano -and the same walk back. The path over the lava field is muddy in places with lots of loose rocks so some care and a moderate degree of physical fitness is required. Once that is catered for it is a unique experience of a lifetime. It is said to be the only accessible magma chamber and fewer persons have been there than have climbed Everest . The descent into the volcano is nothing to be concerned about. At all times safety is a priority and the guide/ operators are competent and careful . Descending , and at the bottom , the colours within are incredible and provide innumerable opportunities for amazing photographs.
The guides , as most guides in Iceland are, were competent and considerate with a sense of humour. After the ascent lamb stew is served. If you want an out of the ordinary experience and memories , and are moderately fit, this experience is worth it.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Peter R
“Bucketlist trip”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was amazing, we decentened down to another world. This was a humble and amazing experience. Would love to go there again. Thanks for keeping it original and raw.

Visited October 2012