“Must do experience”
Review of Inside The Volcano

Inside The Volcano
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went inside a volcano was once life time experience. The whole trip take approximately 5-6 hours. I went with a small group of people, which was great. There were about 5-7 tourist. The van dropped us off at the cabin for us to get some rainy jackets. I found this really nice of them because it was drizzling. After we got jacket and paints, we walked for about 40 minutes to 1 hour, but it was not a easy walk. In my group, for example, there was a old lady with her granddaughter who backed out because it was hard for them to walk in the rocky path. After that, we stopped in a small office near the entrance to get helmets and light heads.
We walked to entrance and went down in a lift to the bottom. The view from inside is simply breathtaking, awesome, as well as superb ! I was speechless when I looked around !
I wish I could stay I little longer. In my opinion, this was the only bad part of the tour. The guides rushed us to go up again in the lift. We only spent 15-20 minutes inside the volcano. I rushed to take some pictures !
Overall, I had a great time going inside a Volcano and recommend it

1  Thank Alexandre2009

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The tour started for us with some organizational issues. The voucher said we should wait in a hotel lobby for a pickup, but since we stayed in a guesthouse which had no lobby, we were waiting in a room (right near the entrance) with an open door, looking at the street in the window at the same time. All the time we waited nobody entered the guesthouse and no bus was stopping near, but when I called the tour agency, the guy on the phone said that we weren't at the lobby at the designated time and that the tour has already started.

When I tried to explain the situation, instead of saying sorry and offering to do the tour at another time, he started telling it was our fault and that there's nothing he could do about it. His possible solution of this problem included me writing an e-mail to him sometime. When I asked why nobody called me (our booking had my phone number in it), he said that's not their responsibility. Really, who needs some stupid responsibilities when you've already got almost 1000$ in advance, right?

Eventually, he agreed to do what he should have offered from the first - to do the tour at another time. But still, we lost a lot of time on our single day in Reykjavik and had our plans for visiting National Museum ruined.

Other than that, the tour was good. We had good luck with the weather - it was sunny and warm with no rains at all which is rare at that location. Arctic fox was cute, and so was our guide. The volcano itself would impress people who understand it's not just another cave but an only magma chamber in the world accessible to people. If these words mean nothing to you then... well, then it's just another cave. If they do - definitely worth visiting (if you don't mind the tour being two times overpriced).

My overall ratings: 5/5 for the tour itself, 1/5 for management.

3  Thank Sergemoose
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I strongly recommend this trip. Colors and atmosphere down at the bottom of the Volcano are just amazing and I would have loved to stay and sit there for a day (we stayed about 40 mins).

The tour takes about 5 hours including transfer and a 45mins hike to and from the Volcano. The hike is easy but don't bring your highheels. Our guide Thora was really great as was all of the staff at the basecamp.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great hike past lava tubes on the way to the volcano. Excellent staff pointed out features that may not have been noticed. We liked that staff gave space to let visitors look around and discover while inside the volcano. This was an experience that we will keep close to hearts. Baby Arctic Fox coming around after lunch was a high point. Lots of effort and planning went into establishing and supplying camp at base of volcano, including supplying by helicopter. Guides and staff were good people. We are deeply appreciative.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This trip is once in a lifetime experience. We both liked it however keep in mind you need to first trek 40 minutes one way in very harsh highland environment. The path is not easy - it is extremely windy, it was in addition very rainy which made ground muddy. Prepare solid waterproof shoes for it as the combination of lava formation and mud can give you some trouble. Also take on warm clothes - even thou guide will give you a waterproof jacket and trousers. In the base they will provide you with hot soup and coffee/tea - we both really appreciated they though about vegetarians and they do have a vegetable soup too. Anyway we both think it was worth it as you won't have a chance to go inside volcano many times in your life however we heard people saying "Once in a lifetime - thankfully". Good luck.