“Breathtaking”
Review of Inside The Volcano

Inside The Volcano
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was a phenomenal experience. I don't think words or pictures can do it justice. The staff was friendly and very knowledgeable. It was worth every penny!!

3  Thank Micaela W

Reviewed October 1, 2012

At first, we joked about going into this volcano we had heard about, on our way to Iceland. 5 days later, we booked tickets even though it seemed quite pricey. If I had known then what I would get for the money, I would've gladly payed up! :)

I can honestly say that the visit inside Thrihnukagigur earlier this summer, is the most awesome thing I've done yet. A knowing and kind crew made the trip worth while, and the volcano itself... Wow. It makes more sense now a couple of months later, than it did right afterwards.

Of course it's an extra plus if you're ever so slightly into geology or the environmental side of life, which could bring out that extra "Oomph" in these kind of excursions. But then again, the colors of the volcano's inside, the physics behind the emptying of lava, and the fragility of it all - worth every penny and time.

Interesting how this will evolve as a tourist attraction.
Once again, big thanks to the tour crew - it's all much thanks to you!

3  Thank Petter L
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A short coach ride from Reykjavik to the ski resort carpark. Then a tricky 50 min walk across lava fields - led by a guide which was essential as there was no clearly marked trail and very few signs. Dont be afraid to ask them to slow down as the walk is tiring - especially climbing over the rift. I was glad of my walking pole - those with 2 poles seemed to fare better.
At the base of the volcano we left our bags at base camp - donned helmets with torches and harnesses before a short steep climb to the summit - dont forget cameras or phones with cameras and plenty of battery life!
An expert mountaineer and caver took us out on a platform and then we climbed down into a window washer's cradle -roped on safely.
A narrow entrance and then it opened out like a huge bottle for the 120m descent into the magma chamber. Incredible colours well lit by lights in the chamber. We had about 30 mins at the bottom which was plenty of time to explore on a rocky rubble mound - though expert geologists may want longer!
After the trip we had a good bowl of meat stew before tackling the walk back to the coach.
A real adventure - moderately difficult but definitely worth the effort.

1  Thank Claire J
Reviewed September 27, 2012

2 friends and myself come from the big island down south (Australia) and travelled the small island up north (Iceland) in June this year. We were on Vestmannaeyjar on the 2nd last day of our self drive tour and were deliberating about going to Landmannalaugar. I was mooching around on the net and came across this tour. As avid geology nuts (2 of us are geologists), my friends were keen for it, so I booked it.

We were not disappointed. Going 120m into the Earth is an experience none of us will ever forget. Seriously how many people can say they have been in the magma chamber of a volcano? The trek to the volcano across the lava field is breathtaking, akin to the landscapes you see in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. Once you're in the magma chamber, it is well.. I don't think words really do it justice. But surreal comes to mind. It is so silent but beautiful. It is something which must be EXPERIENCED and can not be adequately described.

You don't have to be a geologist to appreciate this tour, just have a love of nature and our awesome planet we call home. Iceland is one of the best examples of our Earth in action.
The guides are brilliant and passionate about what they do. The Icelandic Meat Soup is a blessing after being down in the chamber where it is about 5*C.

But for the novelty factor, I can now say I have Facebook checked in at a volcano thanks to the free wireless internet they had at the base camp.

When in Iceland, do this tour.. it is worth every cent of the $293 Australian dollars per person we paid. We are now left with amazing photos and memories and an experience majority of people will never have.

3  Thank rocksandmusic
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was a easy and guided hike about 45 min to the volcano base camp. Hikingsticks would be recommended, when you are not a safe hiker. We were well recieved and got some theory about the volcano. Then we had an great and exciting trip down to the chamber. It was very interesting to walk around, but it's really hard to imagine, where you are and what was going on in earth 4.000 years before. You must see this!
We felt always safe and the staff is very nice. The soup was great.
We had good shoes, hardshell jacket, cap and gloves with us. A helmet with good light on it we got from the staff.It was wonderful!!!

2  Thank Mario A