“"INSIDE THE VOLCANO"”

and up
Inside the Volcano: Small Group Thrihnukagigur Hike and Tour from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Journey towards the centre of the earth. Descend 120 meters into the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 18, 2012

July 2 was an amazing day as my friend(it was her birthday) and myself started our 2 week tour inside a volcano...wow..what an experience...I was like a kid in a candy store. The hike up the mountain was refreshing...the descend down into the volcano was exciting and then being in the magma chamber was a once in a lifetime experience. It's Not glamorous,(well I wasn't) ,crawling downto the tunnels where actual lava once flowed...I got dirty but was thrilled. I felt safe at all times. The guides were knowledgable AND quite nice to look at. The highlight was when they sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY in Icelandic to my friend.... It was the best start to an amazing, wonderful time in iceland ....highly recommend it...PS the lamb soup they served was THE BEST....

Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you have any interest in geology, this trip is worth every penny (or Icelandic Krona). The effort of a 50 minute hike across a fairly rough lava field, somehow made it even more worthwhile. Make sure you take a good photo device, as the colours on the descent into the volcano chamber are quite amazing. The guides were knowledgable & courteous. Our party were a bit (lot) slower than the rest on the hike; however the guides made us feel under no pressure and comfortable with our pace. All this and a great lamb soup....what more can you ask for.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Watch the National Geographic Inside the Volcano presentation, then live the experience. My wife, who I never thought would do this, had the most fascinating time of her life. The trek is refreshing, as all treks are in Iceland, but the reward is amazing. I did not understand the incredible features of this event until I did this. Being dropped down into a hole to explore eons of time is an eye opening experience to behold. This is probably the only place on earth to experience this rare display of geology. It is truly amazing, you must do this NOW before some earth shattering experience (earthquake or nearby volcanic eruption) happens. Icelanders live for the moment, because, with the volcano gods nearby, the earth may change in an instant. A true gem.

1  Thank jrmod
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I read about this tour on the first day my boyfriend and I landed in Iceland. Initially, we were concerned about the safety since it is their first time opening this tour to public and it is a 120 meter drop into a volcano! However, we met a gentlemen on an ice cave tour that has already done the volcano tour and that is when we decided we have to do it! The staff has been extremely accommodating; when we decided to go, there was already no spots left, but the staff open up two extra spots for us because we were so enthusiastic about the tour.

It was a quite a walk from the bus drop off point to the actual volcano, but the view was beautiful. When we about to drop down into the volcano, we were split into smaller groups of 4 and we had 2 tour guides with us, so it made me feel very safe.

I don't want to spoil too much of this magnificent attraction, all I want to say is that it was worth every penny and all the struggle for us! Would recommend to anyone who is feeling adventurous!

Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

It was a great experience hiking the volcano, getting prepped, having a warm bowl of Icelandic lamb soup, and exploring the depths of and Icelandic volcano. The tour guides were so knowledgeable, kind, and accepting...they made me feel like a member of their family. What a way to experience the beauty of this volcanic island!

1  Thank Mattalan