“Best. Bakery. Ever.”
Review of Bernhoftsbakari

Bernhoftsbakari
Ranked #3 of 11 Bakeries in Reykjavik
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: ICELAND'S OLDEST BAKERY. ARTISAN BREADS & FINE PATISSERIE SINCE. 1834 Das Familienunternehmen Bernhöftsbakarí war die erste Bäckerei des Landes und ist gleichzeitig das älteste noch bestehende Handwerksunternehmen Islands Gegründet. 1834.
London, United Kingdom
“Best. Bakery. Ever.”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'm very fortunate to say that I'm well traveled. I'm also very fortunate to say that during my travels, I've experience a vast array of different foods, and I have a special place in my heart for bakeries.

Having said that, in all of my travels so far, this is - hands down - the best bakery I've ever been to. Not even kidding - I think my friends and I managed to gorge on 2/3 of the pastries that they offer, and not one was disappointing.

In my opinion, the best pastry they offer is their carrot cake. It's insanely good and while typing this review I'm salivating like Pavlov's dogs. The second best pastry they offer tastes very much like Danish kringle, if you know what that is (and the sign for the bakery has a kringle on it as well!). I don't remember what they called it, but it's round, has visible custard on the outside as well as pink and chocolate frosting (*wipes drool off of keyboard*).

The service is great and the pastries are not expensive at all, which is probably bad considering I kept going back for more. (I probably went to this place four times in two days.)

Do not miss this place. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank redjillo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great baked goods”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Confidently located near the Holt Hotel...a few blocks from the main shopping area. Fresh bakery items along with french bread sandwiches and coffee. All the sweet rolls looked good....the chocolate items were all delicious looking and we enjoyed the pastries we ordered with coffee.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Richard J
Plunge, Lithuania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best bakery in Reykjavik”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is the place to go if you got a sweet tooth or if you like fresh bread. You can buy half a loaf of any bread and everything is baked fresh in the morning.
Highly recommend to try the carrot cake.

1 Thank RolisM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good Reykjavik bakery”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This place is off the beaten path a little bit -- it's not on either of the two main commercial strips in downtown Reykjavik. But it's worth finding. They have a good mix of baked goods and pastries. The coffee is pretty decent. They open at 7am in spring/summer and are directly across the street from Reykjavik4you apartments/hotel.

1 Thank jackonferry
Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best food ever and friendly service =)”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

the best croisant and coffee. Bread is delicious. Nice and friendly service. I ll visit this place again.

1 Thank EmiliaKa