“Do not go here.”
Review of Sushi Smidjan - CLOSED

Sushi Smidjan
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was dying for sushi and have seen this cute little restaurant a number of times. I finally decided I should try and visit this place. I'm so disappointed with this restaurant. I have a very high-tolerance for crappy sushi especially when travelling in Northern-Europe, but this place is the worst.

I should have seen the warning signals when looking at the sashimi and noticing it looked more like little noodle pieces than beautifully cut rectangular pieces.

The rice kernels are compacted so tightly in the sushi, and it is barely vinegared. The rice was also hard so it must have been hanging around for a while. The slices of fish is so thin, pretty much 95% of each sushi piece is rice. Please do not go here, even if you are craving sushi. Go to some other place in Reykjavik.

The people who work here have no clue what sushi is all about. Even if they sell little sushi-making packs in the back of the store, they still don't know how to make sushi!

It is also incredibly over-priced.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We went there hungry and eager to have fresh, delicious sushi. Afterall, we we in Iceland next to the ocean and this place was highly recommended in some tourist leaflets. We were not sure if we should laugh or cry when we saw our portions. First, they were incredibly tiny and included minimal amount of fish. Secondly, the portions were not beautiful and the rolls not carefully done as sushi should be. We have eaten in sushi restaurants in Japan, Australia, Canada, US and several European countries, but never have had so poor value sushi.
In the menu list they told that you can choose white or brown rice. However, they had no brown rice during the lunch time. The service was ok, but not very friendly, and the food came slowly considering we were the only customers. No wonder.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I don't really understand why the bad reviews here, maybe we were very lucky. We had chirashi sushi on both nights we went there and it was delicious. The portions are not that big, but they compensate for quality. We will definitely be back next time we are in Reykjavik.

2  Thank Saltao
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We headed to this place after reading an article in the commercial "Icelandic Times" (http://www.icelandictimes.is/images/covers/pdf9804.pdf). The restaurant was supposed to serve a "combination of Icelandic fish and sushi". Unfortunately, the only local fish in the menu was mink whale (and salmon, if it counts). Other than that, it was very basic. Nothing special about the interior either.

We walked in hungry and left almost as hungry. I ordered Chirashi Sushi which cost almost 3 000 ISK. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the bowl which was hardly a size of a small coffee cup with very little fish. Same applied to a tuna maki. You could hardly tell there's tuna in the roll. The value in this restaurant is absolutely terrible.

We walked out angry and feeling robbed straight to another restaurant to get full.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

As I Japanese live in Europe for a long time, I sometimes try to go to sushi restaurant during my trip. Specially I thought it's a good idea to go to sushi restaurant here in Iceland because some of their food is similar to us and of course fish quality must be very good.
Then I choose this restaurant because some of local review said "best sushi in town".
...But it was more than " disappointed"...nealy "shocked" for me. If you are Japanese or experienced sushi lover, you can easily find that "they don't know exactly what is sushi".
Most of the problem here was rice. Well I know some of non-Japanese sushi restaurant use different types of rice, and if they use such a type of rice, it must be very difficult to stick together. Then what they use...? What I heard is using cornstarch for sticking each. Anyway cornstarch is not a poison, we can eat. Rice in this restaurant reminds me of such a story. Even NIgiri looked totally "using form" like. But I would say, using form is fine if the taste is good. Rice was completely cold and maybe a bit old, also no taste of sushi vineger( again, then how such a quality of rice stick together so strongly??).
Even about fish, I doubt some of sashimi is from deep-frozen-prepared one,otherwise they don't need to cut beautifully "rectangle". Tamago will be also.
But they decorated very good. And wakame salad(prepared one I think) was good.
Dip for something( I got 2 types of sauce, one is normal a soy sauce, another is a soy sauce with galic maybe? but I don't know what for... I just ordered sushi-sashimi set ) was good, I didn't use at all but just tried to taste with my finger!
Somehow they were brave to serve their sushi to real Japanese. Sorry to write like that, but I really feel bad that people say or think this is "Sushi". And it's not fair to make business if you don't know / learn anything about sushi. Specially in Japan, sushi master have to learn for a long time,they must know the quality of fish and rice, freshness and presentation etc...3500 ISK for this quality was extremely expencive for me. I hope people respect the job of sushi master
bit more, how hard sushi master have to learn normally. otherwise such types of sushi restaurants exsist all over the world, that is very sad.

I would rather recommend you to go to the next restaurant which is quite famous here...

3  Thank yoroppa d