“Great, but know what you're getting”

Reykjavik Hostel Village
Ranked #39 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Iceland is an expensive place for tourists, so you have to set your expectations accordingly. Shocked at the incredibly high prices for normal hotels, my family opted to stay at Hotel Floki as a way of controlling our costs during our three-day stopover in Iceland at the end of a three-week trip to Köln and Paris. I'm glad we did, and I fully expect to stay there again; but it's important to know what you're getting.

Hotel Floki is a no-frills guesthouse close to, but not inside, the main part of "downtown" Reykjavik. Keep in mind that Reykjavik is a small city - ~250,000 - and very low density, so the area around Hotel Floki feels more like a small town or inner suburb than a city location. It's a short walk to the busier parts of town, but it's not a city hotel per se.

Think of the hotel as hostel accommodation that offers the opportunity for a private room - bathrooms are in the halls and shared, and the rooms are no-frills dorm-style affairs with a sink and hot-water pot. The beds don't get made for you and the sheets weren't changed in our three days. The curtains, shades, beds, mattresses, etc. are from the local Ikea - the tags are still on most of them.

So, it's clear that this isn't the Radisson. But the rooms are clean, the shades do a decent job of darkening the rooms during the midnight sun, our room was pretty quiet and the beds were surprisingly comfortable. The staff were pretty helpful, and the included breakfast was of surprisingly high quality - cereals, fresh-baked (from frozen) pastries, good breads, standard Scandinavian selection of cold cuts, cheeses, cucumbers and tomatoes, juice, coffee, etc. It fills up with people from the hostel (or hostels I think - it seemed like lots of people were walking in from neighboring hostel facilities), so it's boisterous and full of travelers.

All in all it's a nice, relatively cheap way to control the high cost of spending time Reykjavik - money you can spend instead on dinner, renting a car, seeing the countryside, woolen goods, etc., like we did. Just understand you'll feel kind of like it's college all over again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I didn’t actually have pleasure to stay at Floki. Knowing how hard it is to find an affordable hotel in Reykjavik, I made reservation in January for our trip in July. Two weeks before departure, at the end of June, nice cheerful Email comes from the hotel staff: hey, how are you, hope everything is great and, by the way, our reservation system was screwed up and you don’t have reservation with us. Great, it took you guys only 5 months to figure it out? To be fair, they offered different, inferior room. So, please be aware when making reservation there.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked one night at this Hotel and it was clean but bed was very lumpy. Woke up with pains in my hips and never had pains from the 2 weeks of camping / tenting in Iceland - go figure. The staff were good although I did try to negotiate the proper deal online and she wouldn't budge! Non negotiable ! However the included breakfast was great.
My real complaint is with the booking as I was quoted in CAD $ then it was quoted in Euro and when I paid in Iceland in the local currency the rate was much higher. There is quite the opportunism there. Not a great experience for the first night in Iceland.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here in June 2013 for a week. I had heard great things about the place so decided to stay here. We arrived late and were tired from all the travelling from the day and when we got the hotel, the man at the reception couldn't find my booking and after about 20 mins of him staring at his computer, he realised my name was right in front of him. It did annoy me but I put it down to human error and was ready to move on. Then he told me that there is actually three building that make up the Hotel Floki place. The building me and my partner were put in was the furthest away from the hotel reception. He wrote the address down but spelt it wrong so our satnav couldn't pick it up so after driving around for half an hour,we asked a local and they directed us. Turned out it was a 5 min walk or 2 min drive from the main reception.

Our room was clean and nicely decorated and a decent size. I specified that I wanted a double room, not a twin. At first I thought they had given me a double but when i lifted the covers up, I saw it was two single beds put together. This to me, is a twin room, not double. As soon as you lay down on the beds, they would move apart as well. The beds are extremely low down, I mean maybe 5 inches up from the ground. I don't know if this is a common thing for beds in Iceland but I wasn't expecting this. If you have a trouble getting down or have arthiritis, I wouldn't stay here.

So we fell asleep at around 2am and I was awoken by a loud bang as though someone had broken into the building but no, it was other guest literally slamming their doors shut. This continued the entire holiday, whether it was late or not. I felt stupid for being considerate and trying to close and lock my door as quietly as possible, day or night.

From about 7am everyday, someone was out the backgarden of the building using a saw and a drill. I was right next to the back garden so was constantly woken up, even if I had headphones or earplugs in. This would continue until about 12pm. I woke up constantly drained and grumpy due to this and the slamming of the doors constantly.

I wouldn't recommend this place, not unless you are hard of hearing or noise seriously doesn't bother you. This isn't the place for families with young children due to noise.

I don't know why the name is Hotel Floki, it is not a hotel in the slightest. A guesthouse at most.

Some good points about the hotel are the wifi was free and had a good signal throughout the building. The rooms were very clean and so was the bathroom. Good location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A nice quiet place to stay in a safe neighborhood. Within walking distance of downtown. More of a hostel than hotel with shared bathroom. Room and bathroom were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. No TV in room. Enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I enjoyed my short stay, as I relaxed like never before. Slept like a baby in a comfortable bad, toilets and room were clean, breakfast great (especially the croissants freshly baked!) and the staff is really friendly and nice. I would recommend it to everybody - especially in the high season!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank elma76
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Hotel Floki guesthouse is ok if you are looking for a hostel. They have 5 houses that they rent out rooms. We missed the part where the reservation said toilet down the hall. The beds were comfortable, but the room smelled musty and damp. I asked for a first floor room, but had to go upstairs and down to get to it! With bad knees this was not a good thing. The door jambs were raised and I would stumble quite often going from one place to another. The desk clerk was helpful and attentive. We scheduled a Golden Circle tour thru the hotel and were pleased. The breakfast was good, many choices of things to eat.
It was a good place if you knew it was a hostel, but if you were expecting a hotel it was a little disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bjarney Lea G, Owner at Reykjavik Hostel Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear mscjn55,

Thank you very much for your helpful review.
Hotel Flóki Guesthouse has a new owner and management team since last year and we are in the process of changing the name of Hotel Flóki Guesthouse for the same reasons that you mentioned in your review.
It takes time to change it but we have started already..... Reykjavik Hostel Village!

Hope you like it and we hope to see you back again.

Warm regards,